BC Boards

Bored or content?

We've owned our 5 yr old rescue bc for over 2 years. She previously was abondoned, beaten, rescued, then neglected. She " worked" our cats, until they left home. We replaced those w/ 2 kittens and she stares at the shy one, but that's getting old to her since the cats mostly ignore her ways.

She is very calm compared to the bc's I had growing up. She enjoys car rides and I walk her religously, w/o a leash, since she is so well behaved.

I'm wondering if she is content.

I've tried introducing her lately to a frisbee/ball but she cowers. I entice her w/treats, run w/her on a leash and with excitement in my voice to motivate her to "play" to no avail.

She has been through dog training and the trainer told us she may never learn. We don't have access to agility classes or any other social environment.

She also has minor separation anxiety disorder and will chew a piece of paper when we leave her, but we leave real dog bones to keep her company along with the radio playing. I only work part time, so its not that she's left very long.

Am I being over cautious? With her past abuse, she deserves the best life!

Thanks,

Lacygirl[

color]post-5533-1186104912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say if she's not tearing up stuff she's probably content. If she was beaten and abused she may not ever like to play ball or frisbee. Although I think every dog could learn how, and probably wants to. Try taking the toy into the yard with her and have her sit, then move it side to side in front of her. If her eyes start to watch it then slowly start to roll it on the ground. Make it fun. She may catch on. Good luck.

She's a really pretty girl. It's really hard to build trust when they have been abused like that. Thanks for taking the time to work with her.

Poor girl :rolleyes:. Thanks for taking care of her!

I wonder if she's food motivated? Could you let her search for yummy treats, for example? Or let her unpack treats hidden in cardboard boxes? There are lots of games you can play that don't involve fast-moving humans.

She has been through dog training and the trainer told us she may never learn.

Maybe your trainer wasn't much of a trainer (no offense to you intended)? Or it was simply the wrong type of training for her?

If she IS food motivated, maybe clicker training or something similar would be an option, to give her mental stimulation and confidence.

How long have you had her? When I got my boy, Mick, it took a year to establish trust, but after that he was a great dog. At least she's not hiding in the closet like he used to the first month. I think you're doing great. He finally came around and was one of the most fun dogs I had.

Guest LJS1993

Sounds like your trainer kind of gave up on your dog. I'm a rookie, but I feel any dog for the most part can be trained by the right person. I say, go find another trainer who knows BC's.

Not all bc's are into balls, frisbee, etc. My late Meg was never abused or neglected but just wasn't into play - other than wrestling w/my other dogs. She loved to herd. It took a lot of patience to teach her agility, frisbee, fetching a ball, etc. and even then it was obvious she was doing it because I asked her to - not because she enjoyed it. Eventually I just accepted that her personality was that she was active when herding or playing w/other dogs and a couch potato when not participating in those activities. I also second trying a different trainer. She's a lucky girl to have someone who cares so much about her!

I agree with finding another trainer. If you can't find one that's bc savvy maybe one that's specializes in abused dogs??? BC friend is right. Not all dogs play with toys. Some prefer playing with other dogs but if you still want to try to broaden her interests, have you tried getting her to play with one of those Kong toys you put treats in?

Doesn't sound to me that the trainer wasn't doing a good job but that she wasn't sure if the pup could learn how to play with toys.

There is nothing I can do to teach one of my dogs to play fetch. She will play with the toys on her own but thinks fetch it some kind of thing being thrown at her. Not that I throw things at her but that's her take on it. I didn't get her as a young pup so I think her fetch window shut before I got her. I'm sure I could teach her to do it on command but why?

Did you mean that the trainer says your dog is untrainable or just not intrerested in playing fetch?

I don't see an issue with not playing fetch if they don't want to. Or it can be a trained action but the love of fetch that some dogs have won't be in your girl.

Good luck

Kristen

She " worked" our cats, until they left home. We replaced those w/ 2 kittens and she stares at the shy one, but that's getting old to her since the cats mostly ignore her ways.

Really? You let her work your cats until they ran away? :rolleyes: May I suggest you redirct her if she starts this with your new kittens?

I would say if she's not tearing up stuff she's probably content. If she was beaten and abused she may not ever like to play ball or frisbee. Although I think every dog could learn how, and probably wants to. Try taking the toy into the yard with her and have her sit, then move it side to side in front of her. If her eyes start to watch it then slowly start to roll it on the ground. Make it fun. She may catch on. Good luck.

She's a really pretty girl. It's really hard to build trust when they have been abused like that. Thanks for taking the time to work with her.

Your advice seems very sound and I shall try making a game out of it. Her intelligence shouldn't be going to waste, it's probably a matter of finding out what fun is deep inside of her!

Thanks much!

Lacygirl

Poor girl :rolleyes:. Thanks for taking care of her!

I wonder if she's food motivated? Could you let her search for yummy treats, for example? Or let her unpack treats hidden in cardboard boxes? There are lots of games you can play that don't involve fast-moving humans.

Maybe your trainer wasn't much of a trainer (no offense to you intended)? Or it was simply the wrong type of training for her?

If she IS food motivated, maybe clicker training or something similar would be an option, to give her mental stimulation and confidence.

Yes, she is food motivated. I will try hiding treats. What exactly is clicker training? Anything to give her confidence would be helpful

Thanks much,

Lacygirl

How long have you had her? When I got my boy, Mick, it took a year to establish trust, but after that he was a great dog. At least she's not hiding in the closet like he used to the first month. I think you're doing great. He finally came around and was one of the most fun dogs I had.

We've had her over 2 years. So maybe we need to be patient? I was told it takes a while, just didn't know how long. She was found on the side of the road pregnant with 11 pups. The rescuer tied her up in his back yard 24/7. What a life!

Thanks,

Lacygirl

Really? You let her work your cats until they ran away? :rolleyes: May I suggest you redirct her if she starts this with your new kittens?

Sad, but true. She is not herding our cats as much as they go outside, where she doesn't. I don't know why she doesn't spend time outdoors, preferring to stay near her "post" under the kitchen table.

Thanks,

Lacygirl

Doesn't sound to me that the trainer wasn't doing a good job but that she wasn't sure if the pup could learn how to play with toys.

There is nothing I can do to teach one of my dogs to play fetch. She will play with the toys on her own but thinks fetch it some kind of thing being thrown at her. Not that I throw things at her but that's her take on it. I didn't get her as a young pup so I think her fetch window shut before I got her. I'm sure I could teach her to do it on command but why?

Did you mean that the trainer says your dog is untrainable or just not intrerested in playing fetch?

I don't see an issue with not playing fetch if they don't want to. Or it can be a trained action but the love of fetch that some dogs have won't be in your girl.

Good luck

Kristen

The trainer said she is very smart following directions and is trainable, not at fetching, though. Even playing with toys would help. I can't seem to get her out of her serious side. I understand there might be a "fetch window" that has been closed. Thanks for making that clear. Very insightful of you.

Lacygirl

I agree with finding another trainer. If you can't find one that's bc savvy maybe one that's specializes in abused dogs??? BC friend is right. Not all dogs play with toys. Some prefer playing with other dogs but if you still want to try to broaden her interests, have you tried getting her to play with one of those Kong toys you put treats in?

No, but I shall purchase one soon. Other trainers say it will just take time. She "tolerates" other dogs. I've thought of adopting another dog, but I'm afraid I could have more problems to deal with

Thanks,

Lacygirl

Guest LJS1993
The trainer said she is very smart following directions and is trainable, not at fetching, though. Even playing with toys would help. I can't seem to get her out of her serious side. I understand there might be a "fetch window" that has been closed. Thanks for making that clear. Very insightful of you.

Lacygirl

Oh, I must have not read your whole post because I thought you meant overall training, not just fetching. Some dogs just aren't fetchers and love playing other games. You might have had a good trainer afterall.

Not all bc's are into balls, frisbee, etc. My late Meg was never abused or neglected but just wasn't into play - other than wrestling w/my other dogs. She loved to herd. It took a lot of patience to teach her agility, frisbee, fetching a ball, etc. and even then it was obvious she was doing it because I asked her to - not because she enjoyed it. Eventually I just accepted that her personality was that she was active when herding or playing w/other dogs and a couch potato when not participating in those activities. I also second trying a different trainer. She's a lucky girl to have someone who cares so much about her!

Your right, I could accept her personality as being low key, as long as I knew she was content. I did take her to a herding "class", and she loved it, but she then thought it was okay to herd our cats. You have helped me to realize that just because she's a bc, she may not be into playing.

Thanks!

Lacygirl

Sounds like your trainer kind of gave up on your dog. I'm a rookie, but I feel any dog for the most part can be trained by the right person. I say, go find another trainer who knows BC's.

Unfortunately we live in a small rural community where people don't know bcs. I traveled 100 miles weekly to visit the last trainer.

But you could be right, its finding the right person..........Thanks! Lacygirl

I did take her to a herding "class", and she loved it, but she then thought it was okay to herd our cats.

Chasing smaller animals is not the same as herding livestock. You can discourage and train her not to do that to the cats. It isn't something that has to be tolerated because she is a BC.

...preferring to stay near her "post" under the kitchen table...

Sounds to me like she has made under the table to be her own "crate" or den. Everyone, animal or human, needs their own "safe spot".

Abused or not, some Border Collies just aren't into fetching, balls, frisbees, etc., although I would guess the majority would be if exposed at the right age. You might find there are other activities she enjoys more, like obedience, "find it" games in your house, learning "parlor tricks" (like rolling over, shaking hands, etc.), or just plain being in your presence. The dog balls that you put the kibble in, and then the dog spends time playing and eating, can be lots of fun for some dogs that enjoy solitary fun.

If she likes stock, I hope you are able to find a competent trainer that you can take her to. If not, I doubt she will sit around worrying about what she's "missing". Dogs don't do that the same way that people do.

I'm glad to hear that you have given her a safe spot, taken her out for socialization (training classes, etc.), and love her as much as is obvious in your posts and the concerns you express for her.

Best wishes!

We need to switch dogs for a couple of days. Ruger loves to play frisbee and I want to get rid of our cats. Just joking. Maybe.

Youtube.com is full of frisbee dog videos. There are numerous training videos as well. Most of the frisbee people will start a dog off by playing tug of war with the frisbee. This graduates to rolling the frisbee on the ground to get the dog to chase the frisbee. After that they will graduate to throwing the disc.

Ruger just took to catching frisbees from day one. It has turned out to be the best way to exercise him as well as train him. I would think that if you were determined you could fire up his prey drive to go chase a frisbee.

By the way, I prefer the Kong brand frisbees. I don't do competition so I don't need the harder frisbees. Kongs are easy on the gums and teeth. They will last several months as well. The Hyperflites are almost indestructable but they are much harder on the mouth.

I would think that if you were determined you could fire up his prey drive to go chase a frisbee.

Some dogs, even Border Collies, just aren't into playing fetch. They're all individuals with individual likes and dislikes. If you've never had a dog with low prey drive or who wasn't interested in playing, it's hard to understand what an uphill climb it is to get a dog who will play with you. My Lhasa has pretty good prey drive for Lhasa. But that doesn't extend to retrieving. It took a year of very solid effort to make retrieving a dumbbell reinforcing before he would do a full retrieve. He now does that quite well but he'll only retrieve the dumbbell. Everything else he puts in his mouth he sees no reason to share with anyone :rolleyes:

So maybe this BC could eventually learn to enjoy playing fetch, but it may also be that she would much rather prefer going for walks, learning tricks, or being a great companion. If she never learns to retrieve or never plays a whole lot, it wouldn't simply be because her owner wasn't determined enough. It could be because that's who she is and that's ok.

Guest LJS1993
Some dogs, even Border Collies, just aren't into playing fetch. They're all individuals with individual likes and dislikes. If you've never had a dog with low prey drive or who wasn't interested in playing, it's hard to understand what an uphill climb it is to get a dog who will play with you. My Lhasa has pretty good prey drive for Lhasa. But that doesn't extend to retrieving. It took a year of very solid effort to make retrieving a dumbbell reinforcing before he would do a full retrieve. He now does that quite well but he'll only retrieve the dumbbell. Everything else he puts in his mouth he sees no reason to share with anyone :rolleyes:

So maybe this BC could eventually learn to enjoy playing fetch, but it may also be that she would much rather prefer going for walks, learning tricks, or being a great companion. If she never learns to retrieve or never plays a whole lot, it wouldn't simply be because her owner wasn't determined enough. It could be because that's who she is and that's ok.

I agree. Freckles has no drive for playing fetch outside of the home. In the house, great, she loves it. However she is more of a ranch type of dog who likes to run, roughhouse, play with select other dogs, etc..... I tried Frisbee but she just had no interest whatsoever. We tried tennis balls but to nothing. The only balling she likes is soccer, but that is only for a very short time.

Sounds to me like she has made under the table to be her own "crate" or den. Everyone, animal or human, needs their own "safe spot".

Abused or not, some Border Collies just aren't into fetching, balls, frisbees, etc., although I would guess the majority would be if exposed at the right age. You might find there are other activities she enjoys more, like obedience, "find it" games in your house, learning "parlor tricks" (like rolling over, shaking hands, etc.), or just plain being in your presence. The dog balls that you put the kibble in, and then the dog spends time playing and eating, can be lots of fun for some dogs that enjoy solitary fun.

If she likes stock, I hope you are able to find a competent trainer that you can take her to. If not, I doubt she will sit around worrying about what she's "missing". Dogs don't do that the same way that people do.

I'm glad to hear that you have given her a safe spot, taken her out for socialization (training classes, etc.), and love her as much as is obvious in your posts and the concerns you express for her.

Best wishes!

You sound like a pro about bc's. This is the advice I've been searching for. I will check into the games. Today I took her on a bicycle ride w/her on a leash. She did excellent, but I didn't know how far/fast to go. She is a heartworm dog, and sometimes I worry, but I realize bc's are born to run! Thanks much! Lacygirl