BC Boards

Bored or content?

Last year I took Ruger to a birthday party for a five year daughter of a good friend of mine. The kids had a great time throwing the frisbee for Ruger. I think they got a bigger kick when they were allowed to spray water at him. The kids were actually lining up to spray him.

I really get a kick out of it myself. I hosed him down yesterday. As hot as its been he was dry again after about 10 minutes of frisbee. A hose costs about $15, spraying your Border Collie down while he is in a frenzy is priceless. :rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I made a post about sprinklers or something I was totally amazed at how many BC's did NOT like hoses and sprinklers. Some were actually terrified by them. This actually shocked me because I am on my 7th BC and they ALL loved hoses and sprinklers. When I moved from OR. to ID. I let them off at a rest stop to cool off- it was over 105 degrees and the sprinklers were going and all 6 dogs were jumping and twisting and biting at the sprinklers. When I went to put them back in the canopy in the pick-up. I turned around to find a crowd clapping. They thought I was putting on a show- LOL. The dogs jumped in the back of the canopy refreshed and ready for some more mileage onto our move. I DO mind the mud and sometimes it's annoying, but it's so darn cute.

My group is like Julies. Some love the hose and will be frantic about it. The others are frantic about the dogs that love the hose.

I HATE IT! It might have been cute if there was only one but again like Julies, they really work themselve up in a frenzy and can or will bite at each other. Plus washing you car is a huge NO unless the dogs are put up. Much less watering plants!

Guess 1 good thing is no body here tries to chew the hose up. But I do worry that one day someone will chip a tooth trying to bite where the water is coming out.

My one hot working dog HATES the hose or any squirt water thing. That's the one time I might say it's to bad casue it would be an easy way to cool him off. The other night he was trying to play door troll (that's where he guards the door from any other dog) and I "accidently" spilled my water on his head. Now if he tries to play troll, which is not allowed anyways, he's looking back to see if water is going to hit him on the head casue I caught him so off guard he didn't think it came from me! Doesn't stop the door trolling though :rolleyes:

Kristen

Another suggestion... you might want to check out some of the other dog email lists...

ie The Yahoo group 'shy-k9s' or 'clickersolutions' .... since you don't have too many trainers

near you the groups could be a good resource for training and other activities. There are just so many

things you can do on your own and you don't always need physical access to a trainer if you've got some good

support behind you.

You might find something interesting:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles

Your dog might enjoy and benefit from 'targeting' excercises.

http://www.fearfuldogs.com/targeting.html

Just a thought.

[/These sites have been proven very useful to us.......appreciate it!