BC Boards

Fight at the dog park

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Today was going great until two of the dogs got into a fight which could have turned serious. There is this one female mutt that is always in a bad mood and seems to go off at least once each night. She got into it with this wolf hybrid who is usually very calm and passive. The lady with the wolf hybrid had her dog on leash, was trying desperately to get him to back off of the female mutt by hitting the wolf dog in the face. Meanwhile the lady who owned the female mutt took forever to get on the scene in order to at least attempt to control her dog. In the process of this fray the lady with the wold dog complained of inability to breathe which eventually led to a 911 call. My question is this. What should the owners have done? I was busy dealing with Freckles, who mind you was very good in a down stay position. :rolleyes: But it just seemed like both owners just cannot handle their dogs.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

I must say...Freckles was wonderful. Best dog at the park if I do say so my self. (not that I'm biased or anything) Pray for Charlotte... that she'll be OK. (though one would think that having both emphazima and asthma that one would STOP smoking..but what do I know)

I don't really know. I know I would want to help but my first concern would be watching my dog so there wasn't an even bigger fight. Like you guys did. I guess as long as people bring dogs that don't get along with other dogs there will always be fights like that.

I feel sorry for the lady that had her dog on a leash. Nothing makes me more mad than when a loose dog attacks one on a leash. That's just stupid. (ok, rant over :rolleyes: )

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Her dog was acting weird...didnt want to come into the park .... staying real close to her..usually her other dog is the Cling-on. 'Elvis' (wolf hybrid) is usually first of her two dogs in and typically he's one of the calmest dogs there. Her two dogs are nevery any trouble they just want belly/chest rubs and loves. I think she had an attack coming already....but the fight compounded it with anxiety. :rolleyes: Annie...the other dog involved was at the gate a little close to Elvis's mom...that couldnt have helped.

Guest LJS1993
I don't really know. I know I would want to help but my first concern would be watching my dog so there wasn't an even bigger fight. Like you guys did. I guess as long as people bring dogs that don't get along with other dogs there will always be fights like that.

I feel sorry for the lady that had her dog on a leash. Nothing makes me more mad than when a loose dog attacks one on a leash. That's just stupid. (ok, rant over :rolleyes: )

The whole fight was horrible and ruined all the fun that was going on up to that point. What really ticks me off is the lady whose dog seems to be really mean all the damn time. I know our dogs should respect her wishes and stay away, you know, learn dog language. However come now, the owner has to take some responsibility for the actions of her dog. It seems like if there is a real hardcore fight about to begin, it is involving her damn mutt. The lady is really nice and I like her, but man she needs to take some control of her dog.

Her dog was acting weird...didnt want to come into the park .... staying real close to her..usually her other dog is the Cling-on. 'Elvis' (wolf hybrid) is usually first of her two dogs in and typically he's one of the calmest dogs there. Her two dogs are nevery any trouble they just want belly/chest rubs and loves. I think she had an attack coming already....but the fight compounded it with anxiety. :rolleyes: Annie...the other dog involved was at the gate a little close to Elvis's mom...that couldnt have helped.

You could be right. I feel dogs have a sixth sense about things like that and know when something is about to happen.

What really ticks me off is the lady whose dog seems to be really mean all the damn time. I know our dogs should respect her wishes and stay away, you know, learn dog language. However come now, the owner has to take some responsibility for the actions of her dog. It seems like if there is a real hardcore fight about to begin, it is involving her damn mutt. The lady is really nice and I like her, but man she needs to take some control of her dog.

You know what? I don't understand why people like this take their dogs to the dog park!! If her dog is telling other dogs to "stay away", then why does she bring it to the dog park to "play"? Man, it's just so stupid. Sorry, I gotta tell it like it is. :rolleyes:

I used to take Jack to the dog park. The day he started a fight was his last time there. Ever. What's so hard to understand about that? Anyway, even if all of my dogs enjoyed the company of strange dogs, I still don't think I'd take them to dog parks, because of people like this lady, who just don't get it.

I hope everyone is ok.

Guest WoobiesMom

Well, you did the right thing keeping Freckles out of it. At our park, whenever a spat starts, the dogs seem attracted to it like a magnet and that can make things worse. I'm lucky that Woobs wants no part of it and always heads towards me. :rolleyes:

If the woman's dog is always in a bad mood and always in the middle of things, someone needs to talk to her. Maybe not you because you're new and it wasn't your dog but someone. We had one that was ALWAYS ATTACKING WOOBIE. The owner was nice and apologetic and always got her dog off him quickly, but the minute she let her go, she was on my dog again. Finally, I mentioned that I knew a trainer that worked with aggressive dogs and maybe she should contact him because it was getting so that I have to leave whenever she shows up because her dog is fixated on my dog and that's not fair. She apologized and said she'd think about it. I didn't see her for a few weeks and when she did show up again this week, her dog never got off her leash and her husband harshly corrected her everytime she lunged at a dog. Sometimes it just takes someone confronting the situation head on to give the owner a wake up call.

Guest LJS1993

I agree completely with you guys. Her dog really doesn't like the company of other dogs. In fact, the only dog she kind of likes is this intact Malamute who she sort of plays with on occasion. However, even that turns into a fight when the Malamute tries to mount her. The cool thing is since I have land for Freckles to roam on, the park is merely a privaledge and not a necessity. I feel sorry for the people who depend on this park and have to deal with this all the time.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
I agree completely with you guys. Her dog really doesn't like the company of other dogs. In fact, the only dog she kind of likes is this intact Malamute who she sort of plays with on occasion. However, even that turns into a fight when the Malamute tries to mount her.

Which is everytime he see's her. He isnt fixed.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

and the best part....Annie is IN classes....I'm not sure how they get through them as Annie growls at every animal that gets within three feet of her....

If Elvis is usually an eager-beaver to go into the dog park but this day was not, I suspect he "knew" she was having trouble. If so, the mutt coming along and being her usual b-i-itchy self probly sent him into protective mode, which of course compounded probs already. The prob is that the owner of the mutt HAS to see how many times her dog is involved in fights. Talking to her about ANY reasonable solution will probly fall on deaf ears. If you know all the people pretty well that go to the dog park, maybe when she shows up, every one can gather their dogs up and go outside the fence. If she asks why, say we refuse to subject our dogs to your ill manered, uncontrolled dog. Either she will finally get a clue, or she will get angry and leave. Hope the woman with the asthma is ok. Sounds like Elvis was doing what he thought was best under the circumstance. Poor guy.

Guest LJS1993
Umm, I'm wondering why an elderly lady has a wolf hybrid at a dog park...

Trust me, this dog park has the strangest assortment of mutts you could possibly imagine. It also has the strangest assortment of people to go with it. Elvis the hybrid is usually very fun and laid back. However, from what I understand they got into a fight the night before all this happened. Something is going on between those two dogs.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
Umm, I'm wondering why an elderly lady has a wolf hybrid at a dog park...

I wonder that myself... She's got a giant Shep mix too. She probably weighs 80 lbs dripping wet....IF that

Guest LJS1993
I wonder that myself... She's got a giant Shep mix too. She probably weighs 80 lbs dripping wet....IF that

The lady guys, not the dog!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Trust me, this dog park has the strangest assortment of mutts you could possibly imagine. It also has the strangest assortment of people to go with it. Elvis the hybrid is usually very fun and laid back. However, from what I understand they got into a fight the night before all this happened. Something is going on between those two dogs.

But mutts and wolf hybrids are a little different. Don't get me wrong, I think wolves are very cool animals, they're just not pets. Even with hybrids you still have to deal with the fact that you've got some "wild animal" genetics in there and it's going to be different than your normal pet dog.

As far as something going on between the two dogs, it sounds like you could have a passive but dominent wolf hybid, and a snarky dog who wants to be the boss/bully. Not a good combination, and I would wager a guess that if the owners keep handling the situation the same way some dog or some person is going to get majorly injured.

Guest LJS1993
But mutts and wolf hybrids are a little different. Don't get me wrong, I think wolves are very cool animals, they're just not pets. Even with hybrids you still have to deal with the fact that you've got some "wild animal" genetics in there and it's going to be different than your normal pet dog.

As far as something going on between the two dogs, it sounds like you could have a passive but dominent wolf hybid, and a snarky dog who wants to be the boss/bully. Not a good combination, and I would wager a guess that if the owners keep handling the situation the same way some dog or some person is going to get majorly injured.

Yes I agree. I really like the looks of some wolf hybrids but would never consider one a pet for myself. Much like yourself I feel they have a little too much wild animal for my tastes.

It's reached the point that I basically keep Freckles away from the "snarky" female and will have to remain vigilant of the wolf hybrid. The lady with the naggy female always makes excuses about her dog's behavior. She will say things like, "Oh Annie is in a bad mood today", and let her continue with her behavior. Annie has no recall, pushes the lady around, and is usually the problem of the park. I doubt we are going today since Freckles primary playmate won't be there. But if we go, we'll see what transpires.

Do I remember correctly, that you paid a fee to use this dog park? If so, the owner/manager/responsible party needs to know about these events. ANY DOG that is involved continuously in fights shouldn't be allowed in a dog park.

When, (I said when not if on purpose) a human is injured trying to intervene in one of the fights, the Owner/Manager/Responsible Person for the Dog Park is open to a lot of liability, regardless of what waivers were signed by dog owners.

Please let the person in charge know that something is going on. They may need to visit the park when the Cranky Dog is there to see if for themselves, but they need to know.

Ruth n the BC3

The owner of the mutt who is causing all the problems should be asked to not come back.

Duncan was attacked by an Akita who ripped the skin right off his shoulder. The owner, my neighbor, just stood there dumbfounded when her dog ran into my front yard, grabbed my dog and started shaking. I put the Akita in a choke hold with one arm and punched him in the face with the other. He let go, thank god, and I carried him back to the neighbor's fenced area and dumped him over the fence. I was lucky that the neighbor actually paid all the vet bills without having to take her to court.

When Sage was 10 weeks old he was attacked by a Pit Bull in the hay field at school. It came running straight at him and had him in the air before I could even react. I had to grab the dog's collar and kick pretty hard to get it off. The owner came walking over, quite calm, and said, "I don't have control over my dog." At that point I wanted to kick her! I handed the dog back to her by the collar, but she LET GO and told the dog to keep walking! What do you think it did though? It came back at us again! So of course I kicked it each time it lunged forward until I could once again grab it and drag it off. (What I did was really dangerous, but I was really angry and not thinking straight.)

The lesson is, there are really stupid dog owners all over the place who can't control their dogs. Any time you go out, even if you are on private property as was the case in both attacks on my dogs, your dogs are at risk. Dog parks are the most dangerous place of all because people think that since it is a dog park other people expect the dogs to "be dogs," whereas in a human park most owners are very concerned about their dogs behaving so that they don't bother anyone.

Best way I've *ever* seen a dog fight broken up is with a small can of air freshener. They told us about it at a training class locally and it works! One puff in the face of the attacker and all he can do is back off sneezing violently. Really great when you have to break a big dog off a small one. No harm done, fight over.

Might be a dog park idea......

Really though, I don't know why you guys bother with them. It's really not a natural enviroment for a dog - there is no pack order, as it's constantly shifting and changing among some often really socially stupid dogs - and it's a huge vector for disease and parasites. Why bother? Or at least go at off times when the masses aren't there. I sure wouldn't take a puppy or an older dog!

Guest LJS1993
Best way I've *ever* seen a dog fight broken up is with a small can of air freshener. They told us about it at a training class locally and it works! One puff in the face of the attacker and all he can do is back off sneezing violently. Really great when you have to break a big dog off a small one. No harm done, fight over.

Might be a dog park idea......

Really though, I don't know why you guys bother with them. It's really not a natural enviroment for a dog - there is no pack order, as it's constantly shifting and changing among some often really socially stupid dogs - and it's a huge vector for disease and parasites. Why bother? Or at least go at off times when the masses aren't there. I sure wouldn't take a puppy or an older dog!

Well really we only go for one dog now who is her main playmate. The original plan was to help socialize her with other dogs, which has proven very successful up to this point. However with that said we will soon be adding on to our pack of dog(s) so the park will be used alot less. My fiance wants a female mutt from the shelter and I'm looking at purchasing a blue merle BC from a rescue. If all goes as planned, our dogs will be mostly on our property to run and play. I'm going to be alot more comfortable having my own dogs form their own hierarchy rather than deal with the park. The only thing I will miss are two friends we have made there. Sean, the guy with the Chow-Pei and Kathleen, the lady with the Airedale mix that Freckles loves. I'm thinking of getting their phone numbers so we can setup some private times just with our own dogs.

It seems that whenever I hear something about "Dog Parks" its inevitably about about some negative experince.

What comes to my mind when I think of a "Dog Park" is much akin to a prison yard full of inmates.

There will always be groups (packs) within the "yard" trying to establish territory and pecking orders.

Whenever a new inmate (dog) comes into the Yard (park) it often leads to either to territorial aggression, dominance aggression or fear aggression.

The big difference between a Dog Park and a prison yard is that the prison yard is staffed with trained professionals to maintain order.

Dog Parks on the other hand are generally ( I assume because I would never expose any of my dogs to such a park) staffed with the dog owners who on average have little to no knowledge how strong the pack instincts are in their family pets. These drives can and often do click into high gear when a dog is taken into a park with strange dogs.

Dog Parks no matter how well intended are a bad idea, especially when dogs are allowed to run off-leash. The main problems all stem from people who don't understand and have not established pack structure with their dogs. This means their dogs are out of control.

At the very minimum I believe that dogs should pass a test before being allowed into a Dog Park.

The tests should demonstrate the off leash control owners have over their dogs while the dogs are faced with extreme distraction. In other words, the owners need to be able to call their dogs back away from a group of several dogs that are playing.

These tests should include a knowledge of how to deal with dog fights.

JMO

Guest WoobiesMom

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Or have been so far. Our experiences have been mostly good. I'm hypervigilant though and there have been one or two times that idiot owners have ruined our time. But overall, the dog park has put Woobie in an environment he loves (being around other dogs) and helped him to build confidence with strangers (dog people = good people = people = good hopefully) in a way that I could never reproduce. He's taken a long time to build confidence with people that come with their dogs. We could never do that outside of the park, I don't have friends who have dogs who would spend literally hours just being around my dog in a casual manner that would allow him to approach them on his own timetable and terms. He's also learned alot about doggie behavior. Initially, he would cower and hide when a big dog tried to play with him or scruffed him. He also didn't know how to read a dog that might give a low warning growl. Now with my help, he knows what that means, leave the dog alone. He also has coping strategies for when a dog is being too rough. Come sit by me, jump up on the bench, or outrun him til he's exhausted (he really likes that one since he's pretty fast). Yes, we've had scraps and when I see certain dogs coming, we leave. I'm also very cautious when a new, unknown dog enters until I see what's what, but in general, we are lucky to have a group of well behaved regulars that Woobie absolutely loves and his life would be very different if we didn't have that resource.

Your mileage may vary.