BC Boards

Eye Gunk

I think we feed Cody healthy food, he gets Eukanuba Natural Puppy and also high-protein adult, along with an occasional raw chicken egg and some boiled chicken.

Every day, though, often two to three times a day, he has gunk in the corners of his eyes. It's usually whitish, not very "mushy" and easy to wipe off, but I don't like that at all. His eyes and coat and nose look very healthy, shiny, etc.

Is this normal for BCs? He is in his crate alot of the work day and also at night, so is it from all the sleeping? He's not a working dog although when we are home we are VERY active with him, he gets lots of exercise and fresh air.

Any thoughts or comments?

Personally, I'm not very impressed with Eukanuba food. Most have corn in the first few ingredients, making it a middle of the road food for which is charged a premium price. I checked into their naturals line once, and didn't see much of a difference in ingredients.

I'd look for Canidae all life stages, Chicken Soup brand, or Diamond Naturals. Those all have better ingredients, IMO, are fairly easy to find, and should be the same cost or less than the Eukanuba.

Zoey has allergies that caused this. It cleared up when we switched to a high quality kibble without any grain (no rice, wheat, barley, corn, etc.). Eukanuba is not a great food. We recently visted relatives and Zoey got into their dogs food and the eye gunk started right back up and cleared when we stopped her from eating it.

Do not know if that is the cause here, but it may be worth it to try a food switch. We use Solid Gold Barking at the Moon and I have had wonderful results with many of Zoey's health issues.

Hope that helps.

Lauren

Meg has had this problem since she was weaned. Our vet has diagnosed it as conjunctivitis. We use antibiotic eyedrops and it goes away within a day. Collies eyes are comparatively deep set and then are prone to eye irritations and infections; Meg's are particularly so.

Her eye issues are too infrequent to be food allergies and would not respond to antibiotics if it were allergy related. We use Dic Van Patten's canned and chub without incident. Merrick is the only food that we've tried that she reacts to.

Shelby got the eye gunk as well, but we switched from Science Diet to Nutro Max Puppy and it has gone away... as well as she is Finally eating normally her coat looks better then ever,her nose is wet again, stool is normal now...

Lesson: food can make all the difference in the world. and believe it when a vet tells you to NO MATTER WHAT don't buy food that you can get at a regular store.

River has the gunk and was on Nutro, then Blue Buffalo and now Canidae (for 2wks). Still gunk. It is mostly like that after she runs outsides, esp if she goes through the tall pasture grasses - then she has a large quantity of gunk. So, I'm thinking for her, it's not her diet, but the allergy to the grass/weeds... maybe Canidae will help when it kicks in a bit longer.

Mine too had some bad eye gunk on Science diet.

They are curretnly on Nutro and it is gone.

We will be starting them on the Canidae in two days. So I hope for even better results and some weight gain on Poppy.

I think he just needs more protein to keep up with his metabolism. He runs alot too.