BC Boards

video of IDIOT and IDIOT's dog

kelpiegirl

Actually I suspect that the idiot did own the animals. The llama and donkey would have reacted more violently had it been a dog they didn't know (that is, livestock guardians will kill unknown dogs; therefore they likely knew this one). I think the rest of the livestock would have been much more panicked had it been a strange dog. As it was the only really panicked animals were the lambs he allowed the dog to harrass so badly. That doesn't mean this individual should treat his stock so cavalierly, however, it kind of puts him in a special category along with Katz.

J.

Whether or not that was his dog and animals, it was still disgusting. I can't believe that anyone would treat their animals that way. Well, I can believe, but just can't understand it.

Kathy

Yes I saw that. Did you see the comments that some people posted. All they do is encourage a**holes like this.

Kathy

Kathy,

Are you saying that the negative comments (which all were but one) will encourage this person? I suspect someone who has so little regard for his livestock won't really care what random viewers think either. I agree with the one person who said the video should be removed from YouTube. I wonder if there's a way to complain to the YouTube "Powers that Be" about the video? (I don't use those sites, really, so I don't know what rules apply.) I think the guy's lucky the animals did apparently know his dog--otherwise he might have had at best a very expensive vet bill and at worst a dead dog (which I suppose would be fortunate for the stock--unless he then went out and got a dog with even more prey drive).

Paula,

While the video is disgusting in its blatant disregard for the wellbeing of the livestock, and lambs are harrassed to the point of lying down and giving up, it's not actually upsetting in the sense of blood and gore, more in the sense of "why would anyone let his dog harrass livestock like that?" While the video's maker apparently thought the whole thing was entertaining, he was sadly mistaken. I hope for the sake of the livestock that they are not his. Sadly, I have seen similar harrassment in the name of "training," so I suspect it's not as rare as one would hope. Another fine example of livestock mismanagement....

J.

Thanks, Julie. I watched a little, but didn't finish it. I'm a wuss...it made me sad.

Speaking of videos, I came across, get this, no really, a "herding" shar-pei on Youtube the other night. :rolleyes: There was no "herding" to speak of, but it was nice to the stock, at least.

Kathy,

Are you saying that the negative comments (which all were but one) will encourage this person? I suspect someone who has so little regard for his livestock won't really care what random viewers think either. I agree with the one person who said the video should be removed from YouTube. I wonder if there's a way to complain to the YouTube "Powers that Be" about the video? (I don't use those sites, really, so I don't know what rules apply.) I think the guy's lucky the animals did apparently know his dog--otherwise he might have had at best a very expensive vet bill and at worst a dead dog (which I suppose would be fortunate for the stock--unless he then went out and got a dog with even more prey drive).]]

No, I was referring to the comments such as the video rocks, awesome video and that those kind of comments would just encourage this idiot.

Kathy

I watched it- had to take a break half way through- it was a tough video to watch!!

Donkey's and Llama's are more of an asset to your farm than guardian dogs- I'm sure I will get shredded by this- :rolleyes:

I doubt you'll get shredded. When I started looking at the possibility of livestock guardians I really didn't want a dog or a llama--I've been around equines all my life, so I thought a donkey would suit. I asked around and listened to the pros and cons of each from *people who actually used the species in question.* All have their pluses and minuses. Well, in the end I am getting LGDs. The one thing that was pointed out to me about LGDs vs. other guardians is that they will also protect against predators from the sky. I have friends who've had serious problems with vultures/buzzards, so that is a concern. I also understand that donkeys and llamas may not be as effective against some types of predators (e.g., mountain lions--not a concern here). Anyway, which guardian a person chooses I think really depends on the person's situation, what species they are comfortable working with, etc.

J.

also, with Llamas at least, most of them will run from dogs. At the ranch recently we had 2 dogs get into a pasture (a doberman and a chow) and all the Llamas ran. Except El Tropheo, the big tough old guy. He chased the doberman around wanting to stomp him. Although the ones that were running were geldings, maybe that has something to do with it.

When I started looking at the possibility of livestock guardians I really didn't want a dog or a llama--I've been around equines all my life, so I thought a donkey would suit. I asked around and listened to the pros and cons of each from *people who actually used the species in question.* All have their pluses and minuses. Well, in the end I am getting LGDs.

Julie - I've been pondering this same question (for my still a-ways-in-the-future sheep :rolleyes: ). I think I'd want LGDs as well, because I'm scared a donkey might hurt my BCs and I don't know beans about llamas. But I'm wondering how well LGDs deal with the heat? Maremmas and Pyrs are such massive heavy-coated beasts. Reckon they'd survive July and August in SC?

Julie - I've been pondering this same question (for my still a-ways-in-the-future sheep :rolleyes: ). I think I'd want LGDs as well, because I'm scared a donkey might hurt my BCs and I don't know beans about llamas. But I'm wondering how well LGDs deal with the heat? Maremmas and Pyrs are such massive heavy-coated beasts. Reckon they'd survive July and August in SC?

Lots of people use them in the south. I think as long as they have access to shade and plenty of cool water they'll be okay. The ones I'm supposed to be getting are currently living and working in GA, so I don't think my place will be much different for them. That said, there are short-coated breeds as well, but I think the main criteria for picking a particular breed would be your needs, acreage, fencing and the guarding style of the particular breed in question (some stick close to the stock; others tend to want to patrol, which means they'll be more of the "wandering" type; some are more tolerant of human strangers, some are not--you get the idea). I was leaning toward a short-haired breed, but these pyrs came along and so that's what I'm getting.

J.

From the video:

"No animals were harmed during this film.

Well, actually a couple might have been. Sorry"

That was horrible. Worse than horrible. I hardly even made it through the video. I too thought of Katz - and that is NO compliment! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The video was very sad. I kept waiting for the punch line like it was a sick joke. Was it supposed to be someone's lame excuse for humor?

Having a llama and 2 LGD's I think they work well together. They each have their good and maybe bad points. My llama was not enough for the many coyotes we have but the LGD's work the predators and the llama keeps the sheep together so that's what works for us. If I could only have one, I'd take the LGD's anyday and keep the llama as a pet. They are kept just like sheep so not a hassle.

BTW, I never get to see pictures or videos because of slow dial-up. DH has his computer with wireless home so I'm browsing things I never get to see. I sure miss allot!

Kristen

oh no, thats just plain sick :rolleyes:

though i must admit i was waiting for the llama to go on a stomping spree.

when i had my sheep we had a fox visit the paddock that the chickies went in. till the day the alpacas were moved there. i actually felt sorry for the fox. the alpacas kicked seven kinds of s**t out of it. i happened to be walking into the paddock as it happened as i was wondering what on earth could be screaming like that.

i shooed the 'pacas away as i could not bear to watch and that vixen took forever to get up :D

but on the plus side neither she or any of her friends came back.

so aside from feeling really bad for the stock in that video, i can hardly believe that some a***hole owner would put their dog in that position :D

i made sure to keep mine away from the 'pacas, cos i know if i hadnt showed when i did, that fox would have been dead.

i've been given warning kick from the 'pacas and i swear a kick that was meant would easily snap my leg :D