BC Boards

First Annual West Coast BC Picnic and Romping Good Time...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alaska! Or Eileen ... can you remove the direct link to the photo Alaska posted? It's eaten up all my bandwidth and taken my site down. Just a note to everyone - please don't direct link to photos on our website! Now no one can see the dogs available for adoption :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

So we still doing this?!? if we are!! YES!!!! if no, I am going anyways :rolleyes:

What we need to do is con someone around here into having a get together LOL *cough cough* you know who you are *cough* --- someone with sheep... hummm...

Hmm ... I wonder if you mean me. :rolleyes: I'd be happy to host something like this. I have a couple of friends who also have sheep that would be happy to share if we need them. I don't know how many people are going to want to come to Boise, Idaho, though! LOL

If it's just going to be us local yokels ... I have the "fun day" planned for next Saturday morning. It's $10 per dog ... and all the proceeds are going towards the trial set for November. Donna, check the GSH list -- the flyer is on there. If you have any questions, let me know.

Jodi

We'll have one dog and two humans...

Should we nail down a time and place in Yachats? I guess we could keep it loose, and forego the live bands and barbecue this year...maybe just bring a picnic lunch for our own crews and of course, tennis balls. :rolleyes:

Low traffic area...lots of sand...I haven't walked north on the paved pathway there...is there a pretty good expanse of beach there?

is there a pretty good expanse of beach there?

It's about 1/2 mile walk up north to a seven mile long beach. We were there at 9am and it was virtually empty, though that was on a Tuesday. But it's a great beach and it should be perfect. A picnic and balls/frisbees sounds great to me!

Hmm ... I wonder if you mean me. :rolleyes: I'd be happy to host something like this. I have a couple of friends who also have sheep that would be happy to share if we need them. I don't know how many people are going to want to come to Boise, Idaho, though! LOL

If it's just going to be us local yokels ... I have the "fun day" planned for next Saturday morning. It's $10 per dog ... and all the proceeds are going towards the trial set for November. Donna, check the GSH list -- the flyer is on there. If you have any questions, let me know.

Jodi

LOL :D -- I didnt want to call you out lol. Hey! I think that it would be awesome to have a picnic here! -- well there!! lol. There are surrounding states that may come. Salt Lake is only like 5 hours away or something isnt it?

You know I may just have to go Saturday. :D

Well if we leave by 10, we should get there noon latest...... what if we meet around 1ish at a place :rolleyes: and Raising River, You have to go!!! River and Shelby need to play together!!

:D :D

How long are we planning on playing? I'd come up for the day and drive home to save expenses. Is 1 too late in the day to meet? More morning would be less crowded and cooler, right? Hottest part of the day is right around 4pm where I am. Not sure how beaches go as I haven't been to an Oregon beach yet.

I'll be 3 dogs and probably just myself.

How long are we planning on playing? I'd come up for the day and drive home to save expenses. Is 1 too late in the day to meet? More morning would be less crowded and cooler, right? Hottest part of the day is right around 4pm where I am. Not sure how beaches go as I haven't been to an Oregon beach yet.

It all depends on the day...if it's a hot one, the dry sand can heat up pretty good by mid afternoon...however, there is some water there... :rolleyes: And the coast tends to be a bit cooler than inland. That said, I wouldn't mind getting started earlier, but I can never get out of town before 10 either...

Raising River, are you really in Vancouver, WA? That's right next door to us...

Sam

Raising River, are you really in Vancouver, WA? That's right next door to us...

Yes, I really am! I'm near the Clark County Fairgrounds and am almost the last possible house before the Battleground/Ridgefield border to Vancouver.

I go to the Ross Complex dog park just off I-5 at exit 3 quite a bit if you ever wanted to meet up sooner (it's 8 acres). I would go in the eves when it starts cooling off. I do my best not to go to Portland (esp downtown) for anything since I get nervous in cities, hehe.

Dog park info/directions:

http://www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/parks-recrea...trails/olas.htm

The light grey object between River & Diesel's head in my sig is the Cascade Mtn range. I can see the tip of Mt Hood to the right of them on a clear day.

I go to the Ross Complex dog park just off I-5 at exit 3 quite a bit if you ever wanted to meet up sooner (it's 8 acres). I would go in the eves when it starts cooling off. I do my best not to go to Portland (esp downtown) for anything since I get nervous in cities, hehe.

We might just take you up on that. I haven't been to dog parks with Ollie (5 months) yet...past experiences with our last dog weren't all that great. At the parks near where we live there are too many aggressive dogs running around with very little owner oversight...they think the humping and posturing is cute. (Consequently, we live in inner SE Portland...near Reed College and a few miles from the Portland/Milwaukie border)

You know, it seems like nearly weekly my wife and I talk about moving someplace quieter..cities make us nervous as well :rolleyes: I'll message you next time we've got an evening to try out Ross Complex...

Sam, Amber and Ollie

I'm all for getting out there earlier, the man and I were planning on camping the night before anyways!! Waaahoooo!!

Ok, it sounds like a bit earlier in the day works for folks...how about between 10 and 11 down on the 7 mile stretch of beach north of town? (it is north of town, right?) Any landmarks there, so we don't wander the 7 miles looking for each other?

I can't wait! My pup hasn't had a whole lot of extended play time with other dogs...here and there in the school yard near our house, at another local park, with the in-laws' Cairn Terrier (he thinks it's a small goat....herds the poor old girl to exhaustion), and some controlled interaction at obedience...but he's not met any other border collies since being separated from his siblings when we adopted him. It'll be interesting to see how he plays among his own kind...

Its really fun to run into a BC that will play with others!! for a long time I really disliked BC's because the ones I saw were "snobs" and only wanted to play with their ball, rarely left their owners side (unless getting the ball) and refused to play with other dogs. Shelby is non discriminative about her play mates, but when she finds a playful BC, Boy its great, very fun to watch

River probably won't play with the other dogs, but Diesel will. As long as no one brings out a ball or frisbee right away or hold a chuckit in their hand, River *might* play with another dog after a bit. But as soon as she even thinks you have a ball, game ON!

Diesel will also happily go into the water whereas River will go in if she's chasing a ball.

:rolleyes: sounds a little like Shelby.... if there is a ball out... forget about her playing with other dogs :D

Guest LJS1993

If this were even in Northern California we could do it. However though my fiance and I have had some adventures in Oregon, it's just too far for us to go right now.

:rolleyes: sounds a little like Shelby.... if there is a ball out... forget about her playing with other dogs :D

Ollie hasn't caught "ball fever" yet...well, at least he hasn't caught "bring the ball back fever"...still working on it...and because other dogs are still a new phenomenon, he tends to be pretty fascinated with them. I'm hoping he'll learn to retrieve by watching your dogs on the beach :D

If this were even in Northern California we could do it. However though my fiance and I have had some adventures in Oregon, it's just too far for us to go right now.

hmmmmmmm. how many of us Californians are there?