BC Boards

Rant! Oblivious Dog Owners

There's this new woman who walks her dog often with me and my dog Buddy's long-time friends. Generally, since we usually congregate at 5:30 a.m., we let them off leash at a large, open, park-like area. I keep watch on Buddy, since he can be reactive to new dogs, and leash him when we see strangers.

So... this new dog is a rescued golden, who came home at about 11 months. He's VERY outgoing and "in your face." After a couple too-rambunctious attempts to meet Buddy, greeted with snarls and nipping that clearly said, "Leave me ALONE!", the two settled into a general good pattern of no interaction. Buddy usually tolerates him, and he usually stays about 5 feet from Buddy.

A while ago, this woman had the dog at a park in another town, where he got repeatedly in the face of another dog, who finally reacted with a nip to the dog's nose. Since the dog was bleeding, the woman took him to the vet. Since the vet didn't know the history of the dog who had nipped, he told the woman her dog would have to have a booster shot of rabies vaccine, and be kept away from other dogs for six weeks.

The woman told us this story, and that she was supposed to keep her dog away from other dogs for this six-week period. She then proceeded to bring him to the park and let him off leash, again and again. She told me, by way of explanation to why he could be off leash, "He won't bite your dog." I told her, "I'm afraid my dog will nip him, and then I'll end up having to have HIM quarantined for six weeks, too!" It completely didn't register with her!

This dog was humping another golden a few weeks ago, and when the owner said, "She doesn't like that; she's going to go after him," the woman said, "It's OK as long as there are no vet bills." Then, the other night, I was walking my dog, leashed (too much foot traffic in the evening), and this woman came up to my friend and I and let her dog off the leash. He hadn't been exercised, and was feeling really rambunctious, so he kept charging straight at me and Buddy, hoping to get Buddy to play. I knew this wasn't going to work, especially with Buddy on leash, so I kept tugging Buddy back and moving away from the other dog. I kid you not, this went on seven, eight, nine times! After about five pulls back, Buddy got frustrated and started to growl as the dog ran at us. I said, "If you want to keep your dog off the leash and walk ahead of us, that would be fine." The woman replied, "No, I need the company!" So I ended up having to leave.

I should have said, "My dog, who is on a leash and under control, is going to bite your dog, who is off the leash, rude, and out of control. You are then going to expect me to pay your vet bills, even though that is both illogical and immoral. So KEEP YOUR DOG THE *%$& AWAY FROM ME!"

Grrr! How can people be so clueless!?

::Rant off::

Mary

Guest WoobiesMom

I'm sorry. :D Not much else I can say. I never know the right way to deal with idiot owners either other than to just leave, which really doesn't seem right. Some people really need to be culled from the herd! :rolleyes:

Grrr! How can people be so clueless!?

I think that a lot of people don't realise that they actually cause a lot of the fights between dogs and that it's their responsibility to take care of their pets and to make sure that they don't attack another dog or at least keep him/her on leash to protect other people and their pets! We don't have dog parks here where I live so you can't let the dogs play off leash outside of your yard unless you have them trained good and there's an open field nearby... but still, I won't let my dogs off leash - not even when they're at obedience classes and there's dogs around that might be the in-your-face kind... If you wanna have them off leash you have to make sure you're in control 100% of the time! And it doesn't matter how trained certain dogs are - it's the people that really needs the training!!!

You have me started now lol

Cody was a fear aggressive dog, especially on lead. It was made 10 times worse when my mum's neighbor's dog jumped the fence one day when we were visiting and attacked him. After that, if he thought another dog looked threatening, he wouldn't hesitate about getting in first. He was generally ok at obedience and agility as I knew how to read his body language and anticipate any problems. During the break time at obedience I stayed away from the mob and played with him on his own. At agility he was always focussed on me and didn't veer off-course so it wasn't a problem. The major problem was the completely clueless idiots that owned the other dogs. I ended up having to muzzle him at training as a precaution because so many people wanted their dogs to "play with the poor puppy who is all by himself". You would be surprised at the number of people who will still walk their dogs up to a dog that is wearing a "hannibal lector" style muzzle. HELLO! Muzzles aren't worn for the hell of it...

There was one lady who had a GSD in the same class as Cody. Every week she would let her dog get right up in his face and 9/10 he would let out a growl and sometimes also a snap. Do you think she learnt? Of course not. Although it made his "ignore the other dogs and focus on me" training much easier. The week before he died he actually allowed the dog to get its nose into the gaps in the muzzle without breaking his eye contact with me. I was so proud :D This was in advanced obedience BTW, not beginners or anything. At a level where you would expect people to have some sort of idea.

Then you get the other people who think a muzzled dog is the worst thing in the world and should be kept in solitary confinement :rolleyes: We used to let the dogs run around the oval after agility and play for 15 mins. Not once did Cody ever show aggression off lead as he knew he was faster than most dogs and could just run away from the "scary" ones. I used to leave the muzzle on him while he played though, can never be too careful, and we always kept a close eye on all the dogs. It was usually just myself and the other trainers so all the dogs knew each other, although occasionally someone else would stick around. As they were all herding breeds (border collies, kelpies, cattledogs, a Koolie, and a beardie) they used to take turns to herd each other up. One day someone let their sheltie run round after training and Cody ran over to say hello. Well the guy completely freaked out, kicked Cody hard a few times, lifted up his dog and started screaming abuse at everyone. It didn't matter what anybody said to him; he had just "saved his dog's life from the vicious dog". Never mind that there was another dog who had already given this pup a warning check and Cody was standing a metre from it waiting for it to come to him.

This is what my poor baby ended up having to wear to scare away the stupid people...

Image005-1.jpg

I guess I am the type that when you have idiots I will tell them to stop being stupid and get there dog away. I will also tell them that if they do not keep their dog under control and away from my dog that my dog will attack. Also, I say that if my dog attacks I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE for the vet bills since they have been given warnings. I can be a royal%$#%^ when needed and I make sure people know it when they act stupid with their dogs.

I don't really care if people like what I say. Being nice does not work 90% of the time.

Next time the woman allows her dog to be a jerk tell her about herself. It nothing else, it will make you feel better.

Of course I don't take my dogs to dog parks and such because I don't trust other owners.

You know, if you have to muzzle your dog, you actually picked the correct one. Some people are idiots and pick one where they can't pant. I want to go smack them and rip the muzzle off the dog. I had a dog that was so sweet, but when she was on a leash, she would all of a sudden turn and snap at at another dog. I never saw it coming. I think it was the leash thing.

We were at the dog beach the other day and this doofus had a big lab mix that would charge in the water and bully my dogs off their toys. He jumped on Wootie, shoved him under the water, and stole his "G06". As Red Dog Fan had already once grabbed the dog and wrenched one of our balls out of his mouth, the owner was pretty annoyed with us (??). When his dog stole G06, he picked up one of our balls and started leaving with it to lure his dog (who of curse did not come when called or drop-it when asked) away from G06. I said "Hey, you can't steal one of my toys to distract your dog from stealing another one of my toys!" And he replies "You know, it is a dog park." To which I responded "Yes, a dog park - not a toy store. Drop my ball, get my other ball, and get lost."

Just last night a woman with an obnoxious Lab stole one of my balls - in particular, Tweed's favourite squishy tennis ball - and denied it.

My favourites are the morons with dogs who start bothering Red Dog - RD has a short fuse for being bothered. If he were really aggressive I wouldn't bring him to the park, but he is fine if he isn't harassed or jumped on. I tell them "Hey, my dog is not going to tolerate that, can you come and get your dog please?" and they say "Oh it's okay, he needs to learn a lesson." Well, I don't come to the dog park so my dog can play Teacher with the other dogs. Inevitably, if he does lose his temper, he's going to bite that dog and they are going to get mad as hell. You can't win.

RDM

Guest LJS1993
You have me started now lol

Cody was a fear aggressive dog, especially on lead. It was made 10 times worse when my mum's neighbor's dog jumped the fence one day when we were visiting and attacked him. After that, if he thought another dog looked threatening, he wouldn't hesitate about getting in first. He was generally ok at obedience and agility as I knew how to read his body language and anticipate any problems. During the break time at obedience I stayed away from the mob and played with him on his own. At agility he was always focussed on me and didn't veer off-course so it wasn't a problem. The major problem was the completely clueless idiots that owned the other dogs. I ended up having to muzzle him at training as a precaution because so many people wanted their dogs to "play with the poor puppy who is all by himself". You would be surprised at the number of people who will still walk their dogs up to a dog that is wearing a "hannibal lector" style muzzle. HELLO! Muzzles aren't worn for the hell of it...

There was one lady who had a GSD in the same class as Cody. Every week she would let her dog get right up in his face and 9/10 he would let out a growl and sometimes also a snap. Do you think she learnt? Of course not. Although it made his "ignore the other dogs and focus on me" training much easier. The week before he died he actually allowed the dog to get its nose into the gaps in the muzzle without breaking his eye contact with me. I was so proud :D This was in advanced obedience BTW, not beginners or anything. At a level where you would expect people to have some sort of idea.

Then you get the other people who think a muzzled dog is the worst thing in the world and should be kept in solitary confinement :rolleyes: We used to let the dogs run around the oval after agility and play for 15 mins. Not once did Cody ever show aggression off lead as he knew he was faster than most dogs and could just run away from the "scary" ones. I used to leave the muzzle on him while he played though, can never be too careful, and we always kept a close eye on all the dogs. It was usually just myself and the other trainers so all the dogs knew each other, although occasionally someone else would stick around. As they were all herding breeds (border collies, kelpies, cattledogs, a Koolie, and a beardie) they used to take turns to herd each other up. One day someone let their sheltie run round after training and Cody ran over to say hello. Well the guy completely freaked out, kicked Cody hard a few times, lifted up his dog and started screaming abuse at everyone. It didn't matter what anybody said to him; he had just "saved his dog's life from the vicious dog". Never mind that there was another dog who had already given this pup a warning check and Cody was standing a metre from it waiting for it to come to him.

This is what my poor baby ended up having to wear to scare away the stupid people...

Image005-1.jpg

Poor Cody!!! Needless to say he has had some very poor interactions throughout his lifetime. This is what I don't want for Freckles.

Yesterday afternoon, I took Fergie to the local big-box pet store. She loves going around and sniffing and meeting other dogs.

A woman came in with one of those little "one-bite" dogs. Walked right up to Ferg - and the hair-ball started jumping on Fergie's nose. I told her that Ferg had quite a bit of patience, but not unlimited for impolite dogs, even little ones. She let the thing keep jumping. Fergie did not snap (she's a lady as long as possible), but she did give a warning noise.

From then on, the woman acted like Ferg was vicious. She ended up behind us at the check-out, and kept hiding her dog - and whispering to another woman behind her.

Poor Ferg (a matron of 11-1/2 and going obviously grey) was just trying to teach that young male some manners. I assume that the dog, like so many kids these days, will learn that he has every right to do whatever he wants. And that Mommy will protect him from evil people who think he should behave himself.

2 Devils is right. Sometimes you just have to come right out and be blunt.

One time DH and I took JJ (before we had Jake) up to the mountains to hike around and check out the different waterfalls. Here we were, in a State Park and this couple comes walking up with 2 unleashed Cocker Spaniels. They were very friendly and very energetic and got up in JJ's face (who was leashed and standing beside DH). The guy asked DH if our dog will hurt his. About that time JJ growled. DH looked the guy in the eye and calmly said "I guess we're getting ready to find out". That couple couldn't gather their dogs up fast enough!

ShoresDog,

I thought so too! He doesn't come up with them very often but when he does they're good.

A couple of weeks after adopting Jake, his foster mom was going to be at an agility event a couple of hours away from us so we drove down. What does Jake do?!?! He slips out of his gentle leader harness and takes off across the course. (Barking toy poodle running course=squeaky mobile toy) I am horrified! DH? He said "The least he could have done was jump a hurdle or 2 on his way over".

Guest WoobiesMom

My Airedale was very male aggressive. I could tell at 100 yards if the approaching dog was male or female based on his body language. One day a guy is walking with his unleashed male that comes along and starts harrassing Rush. I warn the guy that he needs to get his dog as mine was not well behaved with males. He smarts off "Well, maybe you shouldn't be out with him then." I was so angry that I smarted back, "Maybe you ought to obey the leash laws." He wasn't even CARRYING a leash!!!

I've taken to lying to idiots at the dog park. My Woobs is a pretty patient guy, even with the children who force themselves on him, but it drives me crazy when I politely tell them, "He doesn't like children, please don't try to pet him." Now when people come with their little ones to "visit the doggies" I tell them. "I don't know if you're aware but children under 14 aren't allowed in here. We've had some children attacked, I don't want yours to get hurt." One man said "Well, these seem friendly enough." I said, "Well keep your kids away from mine, he bites kids." At least he warned them off my Woobs.

Sheesh!

Here in VA, there's some new law that dogs labeled dangerous have to wear an orange warning collar that has Dangerous Dog printed on it. I'm tempted to get one just so the kids will leave my boy alone! LOL

I know an agility person who walks her dogs on a beach and has to deal with idiot loose-dog walkers. Her 2 BC's are fine even with idiot dogs but her 3rd dog is a large malamute who, while not aggressive, is VERY territorial and will guard her owner - does NOT like random retrievers running up and jumping on her, in other words.

This person had tried telling people to stay away, didn't work (of course). She went to an agricultural store and bought a cattle prod. Charges on batteries, looks like an innocent fiberglass walking stick. Now she warns people, then quietly touches it to the dog before it gets a chance to aggravate hers (she leashes hers when she sees others coming). Works great. People are never close enough to see what she's done (again, of course!), so when their dogs yelp a bit and back away they do get curious, but she said so far no one's figured it out, and Stupid Owners' Fluffy or whatever usually leaves immediately.

Cruel but effective. I'd like to use it on the people.

I gave up on taking walks with my dogs, really. Too many ticks in the woods (and so far my 4 year old is still Lyme-free!), too many idiots on the good paths, and I can't go out at 5am b/c I'm at work. We do agility, sheep work, runs in the backyard, and swimming.

Geez, can I use that cattle prod in the mall? I'm old enough to get away with a cane - if folks don't know that I run, bike, canoe, and lift weights.