BC Boards

Coop & New Question

Last night I was discussing the coop idea with my wife and she had a good question which I have never had to think about before. What do BC owners that are not as fortunate as me, and can't take their dog/dogs to work with them, do with their BC's during the day?

I type this in my office with one hand...the other is currrently occupied with Mya on the end of her tug.

Craig & Mya

Last night I was discussing the coop idea with my wife and she had a good question which I have never had to think about before. What do BC owners that are not as fortunate as me, and can't take their dog/dogs to work with them, do with their BC's during the day?

I type this in my office with one hand...the other is currrently occupied with Mya on the end of her tug.

Craig & Mya

Mine stay home all day. They often get a really good in the morning, and if I choose to sleep in I leave them with raw meaty bones to distract them from the fact they didn't get a good run that day! After work, they always get another, or one, good run. They have one another for company but mostly they sleep all day.

RDM

Craig & Mya

Hi Craig,

I have to say: I love Mya!

Here is a lousy picture of her and my own dog at the beach. We went on many walks together with her foster mom.

DSCN2528.jpg

While I'm at work Thea is kenneled. She used to have free run, but after we moved she became a little unreliable (stressed and bored). Coming home to ripped kleenex was no big deal..but when she tried to answer my brand new cellphone and put some teeth marks in it, that was the last straw.

Where do you work that you are so lucky to be able to bring her to work with you?

~Jenn & Thea

That is a nice place to work....

Dazzle is happy to stay home in a crate (for longer times), or just sleep on the couch (for shorter times) while I am away. As long as she gets all the entertainment she needs before I go and then when I come home - she is just fine. Sometimes she can be quite lazy actually.... :rolleyes:

A family I know has a nice setup where they leave the dogs home, and come home for lunch each day to let the dogs (one of which is a puppy) out to play. That works well for them because they work sort of close to home.

I own my own business, Mascon Cable Systems in Salmon Arm. I've always allowed dogs in the office as we don't not have foot traffic at the main branch. currently their are 2 BC's and a blood hound roaming about.

I feel very fortunate for sure.

Great Picture of Mya and Thea

Craig & Mya

My dog stays in the house with free run of it. But mostly all she does is stare out the window longing for her beloveds to come home LOL :rolleyes:

Have you ever used a crate? They were a total lifesaver for us a few times. This way she doesnt tear things up, or get into things that might hurt her. Plusyou dont have to worry about what shes doing while you're gone. A good thing is to get her some exercise so she's tired before you leave and crate her.

When we added the last two dogs (bc/bc mix), we were fortunate that my DH worked the evening shift, so they were rarely home alone more than an hour or two a day. He's on a day shift now, but they're still fine. The two older dogs have run of the house and the puppy is crated. Other than barking at the mailman, I suspect all three sleep most of the day.

Whiley stays in her outside kennel. It is as big as my living room, so she's got lots of place to play. She has been moving the straw around in it and I noticed she made herself little areas. She has her digging spot, a corner where she goes potty and moves her straw to, her food is in another area, She has her dog house where she sleeps and her toys are middle part. She loves it in there. We are gone 9-5 weekdays so she spend a lot of time in it.

Craig,

We're on our second border collie, Ollie, 5 1/2 months old, and have generally the same arrangement as with our first. Ollie stays in an oversized crate indoors during the day...and either my wife or I go home at lunch the three days a week he'd be alone for 8 hours. We limit the crate time to 4-5 hours max at a time. He does just fine with it. On the longest day of the week, he's crated from 9-1, out for some good play for 20-40 minutes, has a bite to eat, some cuddles, and then back in from 2-6:30. Rest assured, he then needs quality time that evening (usually prolonged obedience drills), on top of the evening walk and play time...but he's off to bed again at 11 with no complaints. I found both my dogs to be pretty flexible with me as long as I stay on top of meeting their needs for stimulation when I am home.

I sure wish I could take him to work with me...I'd definitely be happier, although a little less productive!

-Sam

I go home every day during lunch so they can get outside and play a little (often a game of frisbee). On the days I can't make it, they're fine. Jak & Lizzy get a good run every day after work... and Brassy... a nice walk. They seem happy with this arrangement, and if I'm having a crappy day at work, I welcome the doggie break mid-day.

Salmon Arm??

My folks live there, so I'm often crusing around town with my three...errr, more like they're pulling me around town. They enjoy the pier.

Cheers!

My two stay home with the full run of the house... and couch, and bed. They get frisbee and play time in the morning, then on days when both of us work (we have different weekends in the summer because my husband is a Park Ranger) I come home at lunch and let them out and play with them. They CAN both hold it and be in for up to 10 hours, but I don't like to leave them alone that long, because I'm a sucker. It's easy because I live less than 10 minutes from my office. Also, Ling goes to daycare every Friday. I'm really lucky because neither of mine gets bored enough to be destructive in any way.

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie and I are spoiled and lucky. I'm a full-time student and not away from home for much more than 4-5 hours. He spends that time in his kennel with an everlasting treat ball that he loves. When I get home it's straight to the dog park or out for a walk on most days. Now that classes are out for the summer and my volunteer job has ended, I'm home everyday so he's only in the kennel when I'm out running errands (I don't want him to hurt the cats). In the fall, he'll still be pretty lucky, I'll be home during the day and when I'm in class at night, my teen daughter will be home.

My husband and are I both disabled. So we are at home ALOT. So the kids are very spoiled!

But if we are not at home, both pup's are crated. But never for more than 3-4 hours at a time.

When I have to leave and he can't come I leave him free in the porch with his crate and a few safe toys. He just waits for me to come back and play. As for working my Mom's home so she takes him out, but he likes to wait for me to come home for lunch for a quick game of ball and a hug. I drive 10 miles both ways back to our house for lunch just to see him :rolleyes:

I do stay home full time, so most of the time no one gets left alone. However, we do go to church once a week (about two and a half hours), and every other week I go to Winston-Salem with my husband and I run errands with my mom. That takes all day, literally, sunup to sundown. So we have four kennels and one very large crate/small kennel thingie for the dogs who aren't reliable to be left loose. That number has actually gone down to just the rescues and Ted, so it's kind of nice.

The rest of the dogs all just sleep in the bedroom. On the bed, mostly, from the looks of it when I get home. I used to try to cover it while we were gone, or whatever. Now I just strip it down to the sheets before we leave and Tuesday is bedding wash day. :D

I like having the kennels. When we leave, we've got at least a thirty minute drive no matter where we are going. I like the idea that they'll be comfortable even if something happens and we get stuck somewhere. That happened recently. We were coming back from our shopping day in Winston and happened to notice one of our tires was dangerously worn. We pulled into a tire place fifteen minutes before they closed and they were nice enough to help us out. Of course then we had to feed the kids, too, and by the time we rolled up the driveway it was nearly midnight. That would have been eighteen hours for someone in a crate! :rolleyes:

My 4 are indoor/outdoor... dog door.

When I leave at 04:30 I usually get a sleepy "Bye, have a nice day zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...."

When I get home at 13:00 or later I get dogs stretching awake, halfway out the dog door....before

everyone starts the 'body wiggle and sproinging greeting ceremony'...... :rolleyes: