BC Boards

Eating poo

Thats me had ben over 5 weeks and he really is lovely (and is playing nicely now-thankyou for the help)

But one big problem I am having is him eating his own poo

I have had lots of advice on this - like putting pepper on it

Problem is he is shy where he poos - his fave place in my garden is under a bush where i cant reach - so i cant get at it to clear it up or pepper it

he is fairly good out in the park (although he barks lots befoer hands and runs away from all his friends) but I can clean it before he eats it

but what can I do in the garden?? (he wont go toilet in the garden on the lead)

Guest WoobiesMom

Maybe put a fence-type barrier around his favorite bush so he has not choice but to poop elsewhere and you can get it up quickly. Good luck!

You can get a powder from the vets office that you mix with his food and it will make his poo taste bad... well... eww.. taste worse? We've used it many many times and it works great, it is also generally very cheap!

I second this. Riven hasnt tried to eat poop (thank you God!), but she does like to practically stick her nose in all poop she runs across. :rolleyes:

Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't have the experience others here have. However, our last dog had a voracious appetite for poop...her own, the neighbor's cat's, etc. We became obsessed with her schedule, so we could catch as many as we could before she dug in. She usually gave us a little window of opportunity to grab it, a little turnaround before coming back to scarf it down. I got all the same advice you did, and couldn't stop it...in fact, the more we worried about it, the quicker she would go after it...we had some pretty comical scenes play out in our yard. We eventually resigned ourselves to the fact that we had a poop-eating dog.

It's pretty common in canines to eat feces, and I've heard for some dogs its perhaps an attempt to add needed nutrients to their diet. Our dog was sick, and ended up losing a battle with kidney disease quite young...and although eating poop is not a sign of disease, it may have been related to disease, or disease-related nutritional deficiency, in our case. There may be something to the diet/nutrients angle.

Or, I suppose you could tell people your dog is so cultured as to pick up after himself. :rolleyes:

Sam

You can also give them pineapple which will help. My first did this and I used to keep a can of pineapple chunks in the refrigerator and give her one as a treat morning and night. The poop eating stopped after the first treat of pineapple. And she thought it was a great 'treat' to boot!

heck Josey Wales, Katie Walsh and now Ellie all like(d) to eat mostly cat scat; some of which I think may be bobcat. They also loved horse apples. Katie loved it particularly when I kicked up road apples and she could catch them. Man she was one great dog.

I have heard that the powder works really well. And from what I can tell they can't tell it's in their food. I'm pretty lucky that mine hasn't eaten very much poop. One time he tried to eat some rabbit poop, but it got stuck to his tongue so he doesn't like it anymore :rolleyes: He doesn't eat horse poop though :D

Hoku did that as a pup and it was just so yucky. He is also a 'privacy-pooper', did not want to go while on leash, but we soon realized that he needed to learn, so when we travel with him, he does not explode! He will now go on leash, though much prefer the privacy of a bush. When he was a pup, we cleaned right up after him, and he out grew the nasty habit pretty quickly. I hope your Ben does the same!

We gave it to the chihuahua to stop her from eating her own poo, and to the cats to stop Penny from eating their poo. After one taste Penny stopped eating all cat poo, even wht she finds outdoors. It had no effect on the chihuahua tho, but she wasn't right in the head (her skull showed signs that her head had been partially crushed... which the breeder never told us :rolleyes: ). We also used it on our labs (RIP :D ) and it worked wonderfully!

Years ago I had a dog from a friend. I`m used to the dogs eating horse and sheep manure. But this border collie also ate the dog droppings. I tried to stop her, but it didn`t work. We have lots of coons here. This girl eventually died from what appeared to be the symptoms of eating coon manure with baylis ascaris eggs. These eggs are in 82% of coons in NEastern America. They enter by mouth or lungs. The symptoms are brain deterioration from the larvae eating in the brain stem. She lost bladder control, had weakened back leg movement, and bacame blind, and then had no facial reflexes. At 5 years of age I lost a good worker. Fortunately, her daughter (9 years) is filling in her role with sheep work. I just hope this info might save another dog.

thanks for the advice guys

will try the pineapple 1st - sounds good and I don't want more chemicals in him than I need

also moving to a better food (i hope) just incase he is missing something I his diet

the coon story is scary, thankfully we don't have them and ben isn't interested in anyone elses-but hope it will help someone not to go tru what happened to you