BC Boards

Border Condo

First, I'd like to introduce us to the list. My name is Craig and my 1 yr old BC's name is Mya, we live in British Columbia Canada (see attachment).

We are thinking of renovating our chicken coop (10' x 10') into a shelter/house for our Border Collie and was wondering if anyone else had done this. Just looking for ideas, so if anyone has any pictures please forward them on.

Craig & Mya

post-7647-1183043118_thumb.jpg

I think Mya might be happier if she were closer to you..as in, in the house, beside you on the couch, or the bed, or even just on the floor at your feet. From what I understand, BCs really bond with their people and just want to be near them. Do you mean to keep her out there when she is not with you, or as just place to go hang out?

Oh, I guess I should have given more info on Mya and me.

Mya spends her days with me at work from 8-5 as I own my own business, she has a bed in my office to lie on and has full run of the office. Lunch times are spent usualy in the park playing frisbee (her favorite). After work she has full run of our 5 acres with plenty of time spent playing frisbee, soccer, and running thru the sprinkler. She lives inside our house with an abundance of tug toys and stuffies, and has a crate beside our bed where she sleeps (quite happily). The odd occasion we have to go into town and for one reason or another we can't take her. The Coop is empty and not being used and I thought it would be better than putting her in her crate for 2-3 hours. The Coop over looks the property so she would be able to watch the yard and have a good view, and more room.

Belive me...Mya is very spoiled and loved.

Craig & Mya

It sounds like a nice idea for a kennel when you aren't there. A young dog isn't usually safe to be left loose in the house and a kennel offers more room to stretch the muscles than a crate.

Coops are usually darker and closer than you'd want a kennel to be, so consider opening up windows in the top couple of feet or so. You can set in rigid wire to keep it secure - we use "hog panels" which have very heavy wire two inches square. I had a small enclosed kennel at our old place that I also was able to set a fan in the wall for summer - that was great for the old dog we had who had to be kenneled for incontinence problems.

We use rubber mats to offer a less hard place to lay, but I really want some of these:

http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=020801+2S

There's a better brand but I'm not finding if offhand right now. Starts with a "K" Anyway, I'm told these rock for both summer and winter use. For just one dog that's well worth the cost. When the dogs have distinct lounging and eliminating areas, the dogs stay cleaner and cleanup of the kennel is much easier, too.

As others have said, the best place for a companion dog is with you when that's possible, but this sounds like a nice option for when you are away. :rolleyes:

Provided it's well ventilated (so she doesn't overheat in the summer) and well insulated (so she doesn't freeze in the winter, it sounds like a viable option to me. Would you have a fenced in yard around the coop so she could go in and out?

People with tons more experience will probably have better advice than I have; Whisper just hangs out in the house. With one exception when I first got her (well okay, two), she's never chewed anything and never counter surfed.

Mya looks like a lovely dog!

While outdoors is nice, leaving a dog outdoors by themselves can lead to trouble - digging, trying to escape, pace obsessively, or try to get the rabbit outside... etc.. And I've read about Mya (yay for adopting her!) and understand her to be a very active BC who might just find something to do.

I think it would be better to keep your dog inside, crated while you are in town. Mya won't mind, she'll just take a nap and be ready to go when you get back. That will keep her safe and totally out of trouble. It's better to set your dog up for success. You might find that Mya is trustworthy enough to leave inside uncrated - and/or this may occur over time. All my dogs are.

Having said that, regarding the coop - I don't see why you couldn't convert it into a doghouse/kennel area. Just take all the same precautions you would with a regular dog kennel/run - making sure you have proper fencing for a dog, as I'm not sure typical chicken fencing would be enough.

Mya & Diesel in foster care, photo courtesy 'notailabigail':

IMG_0966.JPG

Is your yard fenced? If so, she might indeed enjoy a little turn-out time (in the safety of a securely fenced yard)... but TBH, I don't think I'd trust MY dogs being loose in my (fenced) yard for a few hours if I was gone. Mya may be different. Mine would be VERY aware that I'm gone and are not used to being turned out while I'm gone, so I think they'd stress out and start looking for ways to find me - which might include escape and/or digging and other destructive behaviors. (Mind you, I haven't tested this theory). :rolleyes:

You're the best judge of whether Mya will be content in the yard while you're gone. Myself, I wouldn't try it unless the yard was securely fenced. If she's comfortable in her crate, it won't do her any harm to spend a few hours there; I get that you're tying to find something more fun for her, though. I just can't say if she would actually feel more secure in the (known) environment of the crate and therefore happier despite the confinement.

No advice on the coop conversion except to be sure that it's throughly clean and has no dog-injuring pokey things inside, but I'm pretty sure that's advice you don't actually need, as you'd do that as a matter of course. :D

Hi Craig! Welcome to the BC Boards. Nice to see Mya is doing so well!

Ffion always crated Mya in the house when she was absent, so Mya is accustomed to this and doesn't mind being crated. A kennel run could be a handy tool, but not a needed one. She would also be fine in the crate.

As well as I know Mya, leaving her loose in the house is not an option :rolleyes: I am sure Jody still has "fond" memories of the things Mya ate while in foster care :D

RDM

Becca,

I have several of the Kuranda dog beds for my border collies, and they all love them. One has been outside for well over 6 years (it is the one that allows the water to drain thro). they hold up very well. Rinse with a hose.

We recently built dog kennels in our basement family room, OK, dog room. Each dog has a kuranda dog bed in thier kennel and they all use them.

they are basically the same price as the one you posted about from dog.com.

If you are looking for them, shop around on the internet for the best price, make sure you consider the shipping cost if shipping is not included.

Nancy O

Wow, this board is fast!

Not sure who RDM or Rasingriver are, but obviously part of BC Rescue, and I can't believe Rasingriver had Mya in foster care (small world). As for all your comments, I would classify the Coop as a very large crate. it already has windows that have chicken wire for windows and they are high enough that Mya couldn't get to them. I wouldn't do a run at this point.

And no, Mya would probably not be good let loose on her own in the house :rolleyes:

I've done the run thing with a previous BC with as much energy as Mya. After numerous escapes and different versions the final run was 14ftx8ft with a 10ft high chain link with roof and concrete floor (was the only way to prevent hoodini from getting out.

I'll play around with the coop and send pics when done.

On another note...FYI Mya's favorite baby sitter is the kids wacky sprinkler which she could spend hours jumping thru. She has also found that the fish pond is a great place to collapse in after ehxhausting herself playing frisbee (fish don't seem to like it much). She has also become tolerable of the chickens, and cats and her have come to an understanding.

Craig & Mya

I think you will find that this world is indeed quite small. :rolleyes:

I thinking having a bigger space than an average crate could certainly come in handy. I would be sure though to be certain that she is comfortable and as secure-feeling in there as she would be in a regular crate in the house.

Wow, this board is fast!

Not sure who RDM or Rasingriver are, but obviously part of BC Rescue, and I can't believe Rasingriver had Mya in foster care (small world).

RDM is 'the force' behind TDBCR (the rescue) from which Mya came. I did not foster Mya, but Diesel (who was named Basil in foster care) was fostered in the same house as Mya by roommates. He was there about 3 weeks before I adopted him. I didn't actually meet Mya as she was in the other room when I went to meet Diesel - which we did 1on1 meet as well as multi-dog which included my other 2 dogs, Mr. Woo, Piper & Diesel all in the same very small living room. I live in Vancouver, WA.

Kuranda - thanks! I'm definitely looking at those soonish - I really want to get the rescues off the ground. Even on the rubber matts their coats aren't as pretty as the "inside dogs". The original floor was asphalt - word to the wise, not a good kennel floor. Their poor coats were cut up to nothing before a week was out. Maybe just as well considering the heat, but Indy the lovely English Shepherd/Collie/Pyr/whatever the heck he is, is sadly out of coat, which was about his strongest "selling" point. :rolleyes:

I remember Mya from your site, RDM. What a gorgeous girlie! Congrats, Craig.

As for the coop, if it's safe, secure, cool enough and well ventilated, I don't see why not, as long as it's not for any length of time. Personally, I prefer mine in crates and inside, but I'm Queen of Paranoia. Married to King of Paranoia. My dogs don't even go out in my backyard alone... :rolleyes:

PS, thanks for the tip. I see they have wood beds too. I think there might be one in Ben's future. The pillow on the floor is getting inadequate for the old guy. He'll be getting one first, next bit of money I get together. :rolleyes:

Becca, I have been researching dog beds since Solo's starting to prefer one and I'm looking for something that'll be easy on his joints. There are various orthopedic beds, most of which are quite ugly (yes, I care about these things) but a couple of the ones from In the Company of Dogs look good. The Ferrari of orthopedic beds appears to be the FlexGel:

FlexGel bed

As you can see it's rather pricey. Even direct from the manufacturer a large is about $200.

Another one I'm looking at is the Big Shrimpy. Also not cheap, but if it is really durable, doesn't squish over time and can be as easily cleaned and fluffed as it seems it would be worth it.

For that money I can sew a couple of thermo-foam pillows into a cover AND put it on the Kuranda bed! Wow.

He doesn't need that much joint support, however - the last time we did xrays (for a pulled muscle) he showed no visible arthritic change. That's one mercy, anyway. He likes to get up off the floor because he doesn't tolerate heat and cold well, and also he likes to be King. :rolleyes: But our bed is too hot, I think. He'll get up for a bit then get back down again.

I tried to get him to use a couch cushion on the floor but he didn't even like that. A raised bed with some give and a free flow of air would be just the ticket, I think.

Melanie, here's some of that foam stuff: Link.

If you want to DIY, you'd have an excuse to go to Britex (or someplace) and get fabrics. The folks there really know everything and could send you straight to someone who could sew the cover (if you aren't into sewing). I suspect it would all cost quite a bit less than the beds you were looking at.