BC Boards

Rescued BC

Well all Miss Ellie is getting better by the day. And today may be a big one hwen we let her off the leash in the back ppasture. SHe'll come if I kneel down, crosses the crick with aplomb, and is not always pulling ahead.

I still ahve to trick her a little to get her to come in the house so I can take her somewhere but she is becoming more BC everyday.

Knowing that these are some of the "entertaining" behaviors though not to be encouraged at least she is finally showing her true BC nature; most of this is under cover of darkness....remove TV remote from house and disassemble in front yard, empty clotheshamper piling laundry in living room; hiding some of the small garden tools; taking all her toys into the yard or piling them all up in the living room looking for an OK before she takes them out the dog door to her well fenced 1/4 acre park. SHe is no longer "afraid" of me but still leery. If I go out the front door she'll come in the back door and wait in the living room. THat's huge. She knows come sit "wanna go" and now has the activity of a 14 week BC though she is a year. SHe loves to lie in the grass while I sing Ellie Girl to the tune of Danny Boy. No critic this dog! It has been 6 weeks and now it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. And she loves vanilla ice cream and only vanilla.

We spent an hour like this with great direct eye contact while we exchanged our visions of the future......

Thanks to everyone that helped with this POW. :rolleyes::D

post-7306-1182098320_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1182098347_thumb.jpg

Is that you (the scary dog eater!) in the picture with her?! In that case....WOW! Big congrats for gaining her trust like that!!

yes m'am that is me the big scary dog eater.......but there are very few women who can resist the Irish charm :rolleyes:

Later today she may get out and off the leash for the first time. :D :D :D

If she'll play chasing the garden hose water later then it'll be "she oughtas be in pictures hahhaha. It has been a challenge and will continue to be so but I knew a lot of Vietnam vets, me included, that were jumpy scared edgy but lots of love work attention sure brought them around. I know Ellie,named after my mom, will be the delightful dog I can see deep in her eyes.

Thanks to all and a Happy fathers day to all

Big congrats for gaining her trust like that!!

Oh, I just reread that and I need to make sure: I meant "gaining that kind of trust after having been the big scary dog eater" and not "gaining her trust with a face like that", or something similar :rolleyes:

Anyway, good work!

That's great!! It looks like Ellie is doing great. She sure does trust you more by laying on you like that. Your doing really good with her. It takes more work than some people know working with rescued dogs that fear stuff like that. I'm still working with Black Jack everyday on his fear of stuff, but it's gettign better everyday. Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

Thank you for what you are doing for Ellie. She is beautiful.

I took in a damaged red dog once -- among his other unfortunate experiences, he was kept in solitary confinement from the time he was a puppy until he was over a year old. He turned out to be the dog of a lifetime. When Ellie finally lets her guard down she'll be the most devoted companion you've ever had. Solo certainly is mine. Ellie is incredibly lucky to have landed with someone as compassionate and empathetic as you. Please keep us posted as to her progress.

Thanks all for the continued support. She is a handful at least from the emotional stage but 2 steps forward 1 step back. Someone mentioned a rescued red BC do you think Red dogs are more hmm what would be the word sensitive?

She is getting better on the leash and around most people but me so far. A neighbor is bringing her bearded collie pup ove to play later this week and that should be good because Ellie has been in solitary for a long time and now the freedom rings. We did take her off the leash in the back 12 acres and she didn't run away but kept her distance no more than I would expect a working BC to do which was circle us and keepl;ooking until the freedom was too much and shewent back to the house. If we had left the gate open I think she would have gone right on in. SO things are looking up!!!!!! :rolleyes::D

It's great to see (or read) how she's coming along. It's amazing how much she's changed while you have had her.

Wow that is wonderful to hear of all the progress that you have made with her. These are the stories that I love to hear best of all.

Bless you for giving her a new leash on life(pun intended!) :rolleyes:

Bless you for giving her a new leash on life(pun intended!) :D

That's weird. That's the saying I came up with for the humane society here in town. :rolleyes:

Oh, I just reread that and I need to make sure: I meant "gaining that kind of trust after having been the big scary dog eater" and not "gaining her trust with a face like that", or something similar :D

Anyway, good work!

I know what you meant! You just couldn't say such a handsome charming :rolleyes::D elegant :D :D

Thank you for what you are doing for Ellie. She is beautiful.

I took in a damaged red dog once -- among his other unfortunate experiences, he was kept in solitary confinement from the time he was a puppy until he was over a year old. He turned out to be the dog of a lifetime. When Ellie finally lets her guard down she'll be the most devoted companion you've ever had. Solo certainly is mine. Ellie is incredibly lucky to have landed with someone as compassionate and empathetic as you. Please keep us posted as to her progress.

Did you ever get her to work? in the truest BC word ball, frisbee, agility. I surely miss Katie as she was getting so good at all of that but oh well move on. We don't have continuos stock just in the spring but a ball must look to her like a moon of Jupiter looks to me. Cute but what do I do with it. Neighbors ahve bearded collie pup so after the 4th we can set a play date. Play is almost an alien concept. Do red BC's have different learning sets than other colors? I think of Maurenn OHara in the Quiet Man.. :rolleyes::D She will come to me if I can have her on a leash otherwise we have created a game to get her where she feels safe enough to let me near; better than TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just two new oictures of the Ellie or as she is sometimesd known Eleanore Frances. she does have her moments and of course has my heart and I'll get hers one day

post-7306-1182811648_thumb.jpg

post-7306-1182811662_thumb.jpg

yeah I sure hope so grace a God and the ditch don't rise. She'll come around. She can't resist it and once she finds the ball and the frisbee then Lefty will wear out but not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wheeeeeee

Those pictures are really cool. I like them a lot. She sure seems to be trusting you more now. She will come around, it will just take lots of time. As you already know :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that has given such great advice on Ellie from parvo to rescued border. I wanted y'll to have an update on the girl. MAN IS SHE ONE CHANGED DOG. We had been leash walking her around the ranch and around the ranch....so3 days ago we decided it was time to try a free spirit and let her loose. That was one HAPPY dog. SInce then she has been around all the holiday company and a few other dogs with mostly delight. She will come to a whistle and can sit and wait at the gate till we get through and/or over. SHe is not 100% there yet but she is damn close. She will chase a stick, run full tilt, circle the horses, herd the cats with a full BC crouch and eye. She will hang out on the couch of an evening after her ice cream treat. All this exercise has given her an appetite. There was a bit of anxiety when we let her go butthis dog is all BC. We must have gotten her ojut of jail in time as her instincts are there. And she is fast!!!

I have posted some recent photos. SHe no longer looks like a lost refugee and if we leave the yard gate open when we or one of us is out workikng with her and she has had enough she heads for the barn. SHe is still a bit leery of being captured but only a bit. And now the real fun begins.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL and I'll keep you posted once she starts playin ball frisbee etc. Bless y'all :rolleyes::D :D :D

That's great!! It's cool how all of a sudden they'll change. With Black Jack it was when he hurt his back and I was there for him, with Ellie it sounds like being off her leash was it. I think they all have changing moments in their life after being abused. your doing a great job with her. I might watch her around the horses though, BC's can try to move them to much and get kicked. Some have even gotten killed by horses. I try not to let Black Jack to close to my horse, but he really couldn't care less about him anyway :rolleyes:

Awww what a sweetheart! She's GORGEOUS :rolleyes:

Clover is my Red dog and she's a little over a year old. I don't know about the color differences in learning because my black and white is only 16wks and in his *must chew everything and I'm gonna be a butthead* stage and so is his sister Zena (also red).

Clover is very bright though as I'm sure Ellie is and Ellie will catch on soon. It did take Clover longer to get interested in the ball (you mentioned the ball looking like the moon of Jupiter) but now, oh boy it's her fav!

Good luck!