BC Boards

Fascinated by the BC Board diversity

Am I just losing it in the heat and humidity, or does anyone else think it's neat with the wide range of people we have here? I just get an "Oh wow" effect when people casually mention having bears, cougars, wolves, things like that around, as well as just comments about how differently things are in other countries. Guess I need to get out of Indiana more often, but I think it's interesting to here from people all over.

Our wildlife problem is coyotes - and I really miss my Great Pyr. He kept them off our property, but my collie just can't cut it. My daughter's mix was barking yesterday - that, HEY MOM, COME LOOK AT THIS bark. I look first at her on the deck, then look up, following the direction she's looking at. First thing I see - although it really took a second to register - a coyote standing in my sheep lot (about 20 feet from the house, broad daylight around 2 pm) seriously considering having a chicken snack. My first instinct was to open the door and yell at it. It did look at me. Not until I actually got shoes on, ran from the deck calling the dogs, did it even move - then only about 50 feet to the pasture/lot gate. My BC overshot the gate - otherwise he might have caught it - but the girls (all 3) went after it which did eventually cause it to move. They chased it out of the pasture and I haven't seen it since - but I am feeling a bit nervous. My ewes were standing about 10 feet from it, staring at it, but I did wonder where my goat (who screams DIE DOG DIE!and charges at just the sight of a dog) was. Guess maybe we aren't totally boring in IN - just have easier to drive off predator - although I did find it a little un-nerving that my appearance didn't particularly concern a coyote. I can't imagine handling something "tougher".

We have the same issue with coyotes here and it is un-nerving. They are supposed to spook when they see your eyes.

Once upon a time when I was a different person I hunted coyotes in Utah and Eastern Washington. Coyotes do not like to be 'shot at' whatsoever. I am not suggesting killing them. Just shoot near them. They may have the same reation to a firecracker like an M-80.

There is den somewhere near our house and every now and then something spooks the pups and I am reminded how very close they are to us. Our area has lost three cats this season.

Coyotes do not like to be 'shot at' whatsoever. I am not suggesting killing them. Just shoot near them. They may have the same reation to a firecracker like an M-80.
The night before the 4th here, there was gunfire and fireworks going off all around, but that night we had a serious coyote invasion. They yipped all around us for hours. I think they were trying to get to Homer, our blind ewe who hangs out in the backyard.

Anyway, maybe it's a regional thing but coys around here don't seem to care very much about gunfire. My neighbor at our old place used to sit out on his porch in the middle of the night and shoot right at them. He was pretty impressed with our dogs because they could make the coyotes leave, when no amount of shooting could.

Usually if you shoot near them, it makes them think twice about coming back, but seems like dogs are the most effective. We heard, but NEVER saw one as long as we had our Great Pyr. Unfortunately, the female we got after losing our male was worse than having coyotes around. I would have set off something - but had no access to a gun, firecracker, etc. My mom kindly offered to send up some of my dad's firecrackers, but I think she meant some that were older than I am - and frankly, that scares me more than the coyote. I'd probably just scare the dogs and not the coyote anyhow. The bottom line is, they're just too used to people. I don't know if the bigger predators are the same or not - but sure would be scary if they were.

Jordi44... well since you mentioned the "diversity of opinions and people on these boards"...

Wellllll....my guess is that I probably have a "different", opinion of, what is considered a "wildlife problem". Let me first say, I am not accusing or attacking others opinions, but just stating my own. I am NOT trying to start a 3 page argument or heated discussion etc...which I could see happening ....just my humble opinion for what it is worth.

To me the problem is 'USUALLY/' BUT NOT ALWAYS', people. I hear stories on the news and people in general talk about the "problem wildlife", such as , deer, coyotes, bears, crows etc...(according to some they are all a "problem" in my home state of Md.).

MY VIEW: is that we humans are creating the "problems", by truly invading THEIR homes. We build homes or communities in what was once and still should be in a lot of areas, wilderness. The one in particular that I remember recently is the million dollar homes built in the mountains of California....cougar & bear country! Next you hear of a person being attacked by a cougar while jogging! D A H!!!!, and now of course the cougar is to be hunted down and killed, for what was a natural prey instinct to go after a moving "animal", such as the jogger, biker, children or small dogs in yards or on trails. The alligators in Florida, the Wolves and Grizzles in Alaska and other western states, etc. We are "supposed" to be the intelligent species... yeah right! What does it take for people to use the brain God gave us. If someone KNOWS, there are, (particularly predatory carnivorous), wild animals living in the area where they just built their dream home.... seems to me at the very least they and / or the community would take the time to learn the ways of the animals and GET A CLUE! It is not impossible to live in harmony with the wild animals, just takes a little education, common sense and desire to do so in many of these new communities popping up all over the country.

Coyotes are everywhere pretty much to be sure, and I am not meaning to seem insensitive to our homes, or especially our domesticated pets/animals. We too have coyotes living in our "backyard", so to speak. Our pets and farm animals, have needs too and the "right" to live peacefully, and I would protect my dogs or kids if need be, but I'm speaking in general. I just get a chill up my spine everytime I hear people complaining about or organizing "hunts",(which took place here in Md. this last fall), to kill of the "pesky", deer or harmless black bears in the area.

I know bears can be dangerous... but most of the time it is due to negligent humans, ie: leaving trash/garbage out where the bears smell it... or leaving cat/dog food out for their outside pets.. etc. Way to many times the animals pay the price for careless humans...

Sorry for the rambling... but, this is a definate issue to me. Once again, I am not pointing fingers, or trying to create or take over your post..

I hope your animals stay safe. I too thought a coyote would take off when spotting a human. Maybe this is not a healthy coyote??? We had quite a run of rabid coyotes and racoons in Southern Md., this spring... and the coyote challenging a human or dog, was one of the indicators of a "not healthy", animal. They should take off normally...sooo be careful!

In peace! have a great day

:rolleyes:

Joe Anne, I can't express how much I agree with you!

Just a few weeks ago there was a bear roaming the very area where I live. He attacked nobody but he was killed just in case. It's pathetic how empty the woods and the mountains were while he was around.

Respect to all those who coexist with bears and the like...my fellow Germans could learn a thing or two from you :rolleyes:

Talking about diversity, this thread make me wonder how lucky I am. I use to go to camp and train in SAR with our dogs in the wilderness, mountains and forests with nothing worst to worry than wasps.

No big predators... mountain lions live or too high in the mountains or much more at south, otherwise there are foxes and small felines that don't represent a danger to anything bigger than a rabbit.

No poison creatures... Two small snakes species with no venom and a non mortal little scorpion. We have two mortal spiders, one of them I've never heard of anybody being bitten by it, and the other live in almost all the houses, but there are very few cases of bits, maybe one person die every year because of them, but within 16 million people, I think it is a very low rate.

So if I have something to worry about my pets, I can't think anything worst than have an encounter with a temperamental cow and I'm amazed with how much you have to deal with.

Barb... no but's needed, re-read my post. I agree it is necessary, "to take whatever steps, "necessary" ", to protect our pets and children. Necessary, being the operative word here...

My heart breaks for the tragic loss of your Mom's BC, how very sad and awful. I don't feel I should even need to qualify my heart felt sympathy and love for our precious dogs or any animal for that matter, actually. NO question, my dogs or grandchildrens' safety (or anyone's elses for that matter), comes before anything!!!!!!

All I am saying is that IN MOST CASES, the circumstances that lead up to tragic events concerning wild animals , (just like the cougar attack in Calif., that I mentioned in my post), could often be prevented, by us humans simply by being a bit more vigilient and/or educated.

It may be time consuming or even a bit difficult and sometimes it may not work out, but we humans know better, and know enough, and I believe with all my heart and soul, we owe it to the other than human creatures to co-exist peacefully.

Wouldn't it be interesting if all of a sudden, we humans were considered the "pests", by the "animals"... hmmmm. I think there was a movie called, "The Day of the Animals". I only heard about it, never saw it. Imagine how frightened we would be if all of a sudden things turned the other way around. :eek:

Not a lecture, just a thought!