BC Boards

So the baby will be here anyday now. I've been put on bed rest and the my due date is in 2 weeks. With this in mind, my older (1 year old)male Border who is just full of personality ... constantly ... (I'm sure you all can relate)is having a barking problem. He is just trying to get attention from me but I can't have a dog constatnly barking at me with a newborn trying to sleep. I tell him "bad dog", or I ignore him, or I make him come and lay down but nothing is working!!!!! Please some advice!!!! Last resort do I try a bark collar and only put it on him when he is defiant? Then hopefully, eventually, I can just show him the collar and he'll quite barking? We've taught him to speak on command, but how the heck do I get him to shut up!!!!

On bed rest, 9 months prego, and REALLY FRUSTRATED

Has his usual exercise been reduced? Has his routine drastically changed? Is there anyone who can take him out for fetch games or walks or something to wear him out for you, since you are kind of stuck in one spot?

My dogs get very barky and/or pushy if the routine differs from the usual (less exercise OR less napping since both are part of our routine).

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

say no speak? then when he does, treat him. And ask him no speak even if he's already quiet and treat him (set him up for success). After quiet (which is the command i use) give a release of it, like when releasing stay you usually do something to make your dog get up so he knows it's ok to do so - so the equivical would be to get him excited allowing him to speak.

Also like teaching stay and your dog is already laying down all comfy - you say stay, dog obviously stays, then you jump up excited and dog gets up cuz of it and you get to say, 'good stay' and treat.

Also, would 'go lay down' work? My one dog knows that means to go lay down somewhere else, but it also keeps her quiet.

Good luck!

Hey, I know a vet....let's see where was that thread,,,,,,,something about a rogue vet..........hmmmm,,,,,,,,Just kidding!

I know you are simply miserable right now! As far as barking, I wish I had an answer! I have been trying for 8 years to stop Cheyenne from barking, especially at stuff only she knows about!

I can only offer my deepest simpathy to you!

Good luck!

dixie girl that is all your own fault for saying she has a fat fanny :eek:

with my 2 i teach a seperate command that simply means 'i am not going to interact with you at all for a moment' because if i tell them 'bed' 'down' or stuff they sometimes excitedly await the next fun command!

unfortunately for myself the seperate command is 'bugger off my lovelies' :rolleyes: i didnt mean to do it, i didnt even really mean to teach them a mummy is being boring command at all, but as they learned it anyway i do use it often :D

in the meantime how about you (or see if someone else will as i imagine you arent exactlly full of enthusiasm right now!) teach him to go fetch you a nappy (or whatever it is you call them ? diapers??) teach him to bring you the phone, remote control, anything like that, i'm sure you will find it usefull

Originally posted by donna frankland (uk):

dixie girl that is all your own fault for saying she has a fat fanny :eek:

Donna, I still laugh every time I say that to her! And think of you explaining it to me!

Yeah, they are called diapers to cover their fanny! LOL

"for myself the seperate command is 'bugger off my lovelies"

I so want to teach this to Meg but I'll bet DH won't reinforce it. Sigh.... I'm suddenly inspired to get a parrot and teach it nothing else. Hehehe.

Here's another suggestion (for the baby...not the dog) that will probably come in handy for other things besides the dog barking. Let the dog bark when baby gets here and turn T.V. up pretty loud while baby is sleeping.

Get the baby used to sleeping during normal noises and you will more than likely end up w/ a kid who isn't a light sleeper. Trust me...it helps to have one like that. :rolleyes:

Nicki - You are very wise. With my first son, I hung a "Baby Sleeping" sign by the front door and tip-toed around. He was a light sleeper for a long time. With Son #2, I vacuumed under his crib and the dog did his barking from the window in his room. He learned to sleep through anything.

Of course now that they're teenagers, a bomb could go off and they would sleep right through it!

A bit O/T here, but blame Meg's mum - her mention of a parrot reminded me. I was visiting with Border Collie friends the other night, and there was a Sheltie visiting as well. The friends have an African Grey parrot called Lola, who has a huge repertoire of speech and noises. She often clams up when visitors are there, but that night she treated us to "Wanna play peekaboo?", as well as her mobile phone ring noises. The Sheltie was thoroughly confused, because the parrot uses the husband's voice, and the Sheltie knows Pete well - and couldn't figure how Pete's voice was coming out of Lola.

Another one of her sayings that she treated us to was "I'm only a bird." - said in a rather sad voice. Altogether too cute.