BC Boards

ACK!

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

As per doc orders I took away her food/water at 10 last night and I felt like a bad mom. I took away her raw hide bone and she didnt get her bedtime greenie. :rolleyes: I gotta watch her like a hawk with her toys when I get her home because she plays one man soccer and I dont want her to hurt herself. They said I could come in at 10 ( I dropped her off at 8 about 45 min ago)....I have 96 minutes....not that I've counted :D

thats not long at all, I took him in at 8 and i had to wait tell 4pm to pick him up and u felt bad, i missread the thing and took his things away at 8pm and then after i took him over i read it againa dn it said 10pm that made me feel really bad :rolleyes:

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
thats not long at all, I took him in at 8 and i had to wait tell 4pm to pick him up and u felt bad, i missread the thing and took his things away at 8pm and then after i took him over i read it againa dn it said 10pm that made me feel really bad :rolleyes:

Aw poor guy. It's not TOO TOO bad because she's the first in line to be fixed. They had several to do and closed the clinic to the public for a couple hours to get the 'fixins' out of the way. I need to chill. I'm giving myself a tummy ache. They've done thousands of these...This vet has been treating the animals here on the ranch for YEARS and not a one has had an isse. I freaked myself out a few days ago because there's a cat here that got really odd after being fixed...but rermembered it wasnt Dr Ballinger that fixed her. It was the shelter. There's a huge difference in the quality of care. The shelter here is SOO full and those people are SO busy and overworked, I imagine it's something of an assembly line getting the animals in/out for spay/neuter. OTOH They run the only dog park in the Area. (Unfortunately it's 100 bucks a year to take your dog to it and it's really small) I slept like crap last night. I should go take a nap..When I wake up it should be time to go get her! (yay)

Gypsy got spayed last month. I brought her in at 8 and couldn't get her until 9 the next morning! It was a very lonely (and quiet!) night.

But she was very happy to see me the next morning :rolleyes: And she was hardly slowed down at all.. Just a little sore on her tummy and she couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed to play with big brother Milford.

Bindi was spayed a month ago and she was mellow the day she came home. They sent a cone home for her to wear until her stitches healed. That lasted about an hour. She wouldn't lay down or rest with it on so I took it off and got rid of it. She did fine without it.

Guest LJS1993
Bindi was spayed a month ago and she was mellow the day she came home. They sent a cone home for her to wear until her stitches healed. That lasted about an hour. She wouldn't lay down or rest with it on so I took it off and got rid of it. She did fine without it.

They rarely need the cones from my past experiences. I sure hope Freckles isn't any different from the rest of my dogs.

They rarely need the cones from my past experiences. I sure hope Freckles isn't any different from the rest of my dogs.

We made Riven wear a cut up towel around her because she wouldnt stop scratching her staples. Then toward the end she wouldnt quit licking them lol.

Guest LJS1993
We made Riven wear a cut up towel around her because she wouldnt stop scratching her staples. Then toward the end she wouldnt quit licking them lol.

I have this weird feeling Freckles is going to be all over her stitches.

I made sure to get Dazzle spayed on a day when I had something else to do. Then I just got to pick her up on the way home! It was more like a doggie-day-camp! :rolleyes:

Dazzle needed a cone. Being a Border Collie of course - she still tried to get at her stitches:

Dazzlebook088.jpg

When Holly had her spay a few months back she went in at 8.30am one morning and we picked her up at 11.am the next. I hated it but when we picked her up she was fine. She didn't think she had anything wrong though and like the OPs she thought she could still play as normal.

Anyway just a tip that worked great with her was that they didn't send a collar home but said if she nibbled stitiches then either to fetch a collar or put an old t-shirt on her and tie it up at the back. We got one of the hubby's old sleeveless ones and it worked great. She started nibbling a few hours after she got home so we tried it and she left them alone whilst it was on. She did not look the coolest of dog's mind :rolleyes: but i think it was better than a collar. :D

I am sure she will be fine, mind you the next couple weeks are hard - trying to keep a BC calm :D

I`ve never needed a cone on a border collie. Or anything else for neutering. They are quiet for about 24 hours, and then quite normal. It would be horrendous to put one on for 10 days. Did she nmean that?? As a replacement for a cone "when necessary" you can put heavy foam(doubled 1 inch, or 2 inch) around the neck, about 10 inches wide, wrapped firmly and sealed with duct tape The dog can move its head, eat and drink, but not bend backward to surgery spots.

Guest LJS1993
The lady told me to keep her in the cone for AT LEAST 10 days. I see it lasting about an hour

No way am I putting a cone on Freckles for one day let alone ten. The shirt idea sounds like a good one to me.

I had Combat and Recon both fixed on the same day. They were quiet for about two days, then moderately quiet for the rest of the healing time. Recon would lick her stitches for a few seconds right before bed, then leave them alone. I'm...really not sure if Combat even noticed his stitches. In fact, I can't remember a single time when Combat noticed his stitches. But...well, Combat's a goof.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
No way am I putting a cone on Freckles for one day let alone ten. The shirt idea sounds like a good one to me.

AHA! I have it in writing. I get to dress the dog. :rolleyes: (he wouldnt let me before)

Guest LJS1993

I've just never had a reason to cone any of my previous dogs. Shadow (RIP)(MAY PEACE BE UPON HER), completely left her stitches alone throughout the whole recovery period.