BC Boards

Stray dog

There is a dog I saw in my yard today, and it looks like a miniature greyhound...very very small dog. I went outside cause I saw from my window it had a collar w/tag on it. I couldnt even begin to get close to it. Riven barking at it from the inside, the neighbors dog barking across the street. It finally got close enough to sniff my fingers and bolted... I was making a kong for Riven, I guess didnt like peanut butter. Anyway, its little tail was tucked between its legs and it was more bones than skin. The back was all showing every ripple and all the ribs... :rolleyes: I keep hoping it will come back and I'll offer food or something. If I could catch it, I know I could get it back to its home. Maybe some family is looking for it, and because Im incompetent and cant catch it, the dog goes with no food for another night.... :D

Well, at least I know maybe it isnt starved. I talked to one of my neighbors and she said the dog belongs to a couple around the corner. She said that they dont have a yard so they just let it out to run around (IMO crap in someone elses yard) and then it goes around the neighborhood then finds its way home. I seriously am debating calling the humane society who is our animal control in town. That makes me angry. That dog is tiny, I live next to a school and people drive like mad. That dog could easily be hit, not to mention there is a leash law here.

I agree with RDM that it's probably an IG. I think fat and the average sight hound breed are diametrically opposed. I can remember my mom talking about a time before any of us kids were born and she used to have whippets and worked with her local humane society. People would routinely "tut tut" when she walked Polly (in her gold-plated collar no less) and make comments about how she should feed her dog.

The whole running lose thing is another issue though, and you are quite right to be concerned about it.

J.

It might be a whippet. Heck, that might be the same as an Italian greyhound. They are small, awfully thin, and carry the tail under the belly.

But the poor thing shouldn't be running around the streets, no matter what it is.

I also think it sounds like an Italian Greyhound. My friend has one named Sophie and that little dog can really run fast (and is also spooky and skittish), so I doubt you could catch it even if you tried. They are also dogs that usually go out with blankets and sweaters this time of year, so it surprises me that your neighbors would let her out and about like that. I don't know what some folks are thinking! A loose dog like that is just asking for trouble.

Do you think it would play with Riven ? If so, you could catch it that way. If it has a collar and tag you can clip a leash to the collar and check to see if there is a number on the tag. You can act completely ignorant and just call the owners. Saying something like you know how worried and beside themselves they must be but everything is ok - you have found their dog ! I don't know if some people can be embarrassed or educated into obeying leash laws, but it is worth a try. I would try and talk to them first and maybe you can call the humane society next time around - hoping the dog is still alive. I caught a dog this way several months ago - it was in the woods and luckily made friends with Dylan. I called the owners and they drove up to get it - they were sooooooo embarrassed. A few weeks ago a stray passed our yard and made friends with Dylan through the fence. I tried to get it with food bribes but it ran away. So I know how hard it can be. ( Found out later that the dog was afraid of women........ a local guy got it and the dog was reunited with it's owner. ) Anyway, good luck.

The first time I would return it to the owners, and try to talk to them nicely. Just tell them you would hate to see their cute dog get hit by a car, or to see the humane society pick it up.

The next time I would call the Humane society on them. Or try and catch the dog and bring it in to the HS.

Time may be running out for the poor dog if it is running loose near the streets...

Some people just don't think. I have a few words for people that let their dogs run lose. It's the dog that suffers in the end though.

It's probably an italian greyhound and not a whippet (the whippets have a slightly different bodyshape). My friend/trainer has both and her IG is much more twitchy and acts like what you described. Good luck catching it if it doesn't want to be caught because their favorite thing to do is play "tag". You could try asking for a "sit" and offering a treat... Chloe will sit and wait for her treat when asked and that's the best time to reach for her collar.