BC Boards

car chasing

Thought I'd mention my experience with Mick this past weekend...

Mick is 4. He's ready to be in open minus the shed so I guess it's still pronovice but for all practical purposes he's a finished dog in his listening abilities (so I thought).

So this weekend we were at my parents house visiting for the weekend. I was in charge of babysitting my grandbaby while my parents went out to do errands. As they were pulling away I had Covi in my arms and Mick took off after my Dad's SUV. I hollered at him which only sent him faster after the car. As I stood in the doorway I watched him make contact with the wheel as my dad screeched to a halt. Mick tumbled backwards screamed and ran back to my feet and collapsed. I set the baby down, my parents backed up and jumped out to see what looked like Mick going into a seizure. I couldn't tell what was hurt. He had blood on his front foot but his hip looked caved in too.

While I held his head in my lap my Mom ran in and called the vet down the street. We jumped in the car and raced there. By the time I got there Mick was starting to come around. The vet is pretty sure it wasn't a seizure but he was going into shock and shaking with his eye tightly shut.

The vet checked him out, took x-rays and felt every part of his body. The diag. was he will be bruised but nothing is broken. The blood came from his chin that has no more hair on it and had dripped on his feet. My Dad found white hair on his tire (he had a bit of white hair under his chin) He was given a big dose of something to keep him sedated (I wanted his brain to relax) and was fine but sore the next day. I'm sure he's bruised but he's back to doing what he's got to do. My poor Dad on the other hand had bitten his lip when he heard the thump and looks like he’s gotten beat up. It took a few drinks for him to calm down and realize that I would never blame him and that Mick is ok. I've been telling the story to my family that Mick ran into my dad instead of my dad running into Mick, which it really the truth.

The sad part of this story is. Up till this point I never knew Mick was a car chaser. He NEVER chases my car or my DH's. Nor any visitors that we have over. He's never chased my Dad's car or anyone’s that we've seen drive off. He's never chased a car when we've been out in public but we aren't really in car populated areas and when we are out it's usually to work sheep so he's other wise involved. I wondered if he really was/is a car chaser or was this just a freak thing. But I am the luckiest person in the world along with Mick.

I have always felt for the people who say their dog is a car chaser but never really worried that it would happen to us. Dew was starting to chase cars and 4 wheelers when she was a pup but we had a come to Jesus meeting and she's never showed this behavior again.

I do believe in positive training but in this case a come to Jesus meeting is more what I'm used to and would not want to take the time to do things differently because I'd be afraid of the time between training and trained.

So.... Mick has used up another of his 9 lives. I don't think he's got many left.

I'm nervous to see what he'll do the next time he sees a car speeding off but will be totally prepared to do what it takes to let him know that this is the biggest NO NO of his life!

Thankfully still Micks owner

Kristen

Kristen,

Thank god your dog Mick is ok. Sounds like everyone needs a sedative after that.

I wonder if it was just the excitement of the moment. I think all of us have probably had our dogs do something totally uncharacteristic out of the blue. Last summer my Skye jumped out of the car window to be part of the conversation -- it was parked and I was right there but it still freaked me right out. Just goes to show that anything can happen...

I'm glad everyone reacted so quickly -- just takes a moment like that to remind us that every moment is precious.

Ailsa

What a scary thing for you and your dad and Mick. I am glad he is going to be alright.

Holly is not a car chaser now, she did her fair share of wanting to dart and chase when she was younger and with time and training thankfully she got out of it. I was lucky with her, just no's at the right time and treats worked for her. However i never trust her around moving cars still as i don't trust her completely. Zac i think is going to be different, he does seem more intense with cars already and stalks them which Holly didn't do.

I had an uncle that had a Yorkie that he had for many years and it was never on a lead. He used to take it out in the car and it was really good. Always was obedient etc. Then one day it did what it had not ever done before, it chased a cat and got run over and killed. It stuck in my head.

Hopefully it scared your Mick enough for him not to try it again.

Sorry to hear about Mick's accident.

When I did my research on BC's before getting Misty, they said they will go thru this stage of wanting to chase cars. Mick being 4, though, surprises me. In the information, they made it sound that this would be something they would do at a younger age. Now, I'm curious, since Mick started at 4, that it's obviously possible that Misty may try this in the future. I didn't read anything about how to stop this behavior, but obviously, you know, it has to stop, for Micks sake! :rolleyes: Good Luck, and glad he's o.k.

It surpised me too!

I think he's a bit of a nut and things just pop up in his mind and he goes for it.

I will be carefully watching for any signs in the future. I really don't know if he learned anything from this experience but I sure hope so.

thanks for the well wishes and watch your dogs!

Kristen

What I used to do with my own dogs and fosters was walk along a road I knew had a car drive past every few minutes but not constantly. Every time I heard a car in the distance I would point well off to the side of the road, say "over here" and direct my dog to that spot. Once there I put the dog in a down stay. After some practice it became automatic for the dog to get back from the road and lay down every time it heard a car. The dogs could not get up and continue the walk unless I gave them a release command.

ETA: I was hit by a dog once :rolleyes: I was driving down a winding road with heavy brush and trees right up to the edge when a Lab jumped out of the bushes, right into the side of my car. The sound of it bouncing off was terrible. I got out expecting the worst but the stupid dog was running around in the middle of the road. I caught him and was trying to get him into my car when the owners drove up. He had broken through their electric fence and gone exploring, which apparently he did quite often.

Hey Liz

I used to do that when I took the dogs (before Mick was born) rollerbladeing in a park. It worked wonderfully. Strangers really felt safe when 4 dogs would jump off the path so they could pass.

I will do something like that if I need to.

I suppose for now, I will wait to see what happens when he sees a car.

He's a strange dog, I tease my DH (Micks his favorite) and say he's an idiot savant. Sheep being the only thing he seems to do with any talent or gusto. He's not into playing much, running with other dogs, doesn't chew on bones much or even acknowledge other things unless it's sheep time. He's really people friendly and is glad to greet you but then it's over and back to waiting in his chair for sheep time.

I was also once “hit by a dog” it was way back before bc’s. I had my daughters who were under 4yrs old with me. They were happily yelling from the back seat that I hit a doggy. It died pretty quickly, in my arms. I cried so hard and when I found the owner I was more upset than she was. She knew her dog was a car chaser and said it was his own fault. I think I even remember offering to give her one of my dogs (I had 2 mix breed terriers) cause I didn’t want her to be dogless. How’s that for stupid?!

And yes Nancy, I think that WAS his come to Jesus meeting but we’ll see.

If you remember Dew attacked the chainsaw while I was away on business last fall. I knew that was not going to deter her. Happened so quick I really don’t think she knew what hit her. Recently I got the chainsaw out and she got that glazed look. I had already planned on putting her up but that just assured me she had learned nothing from her encounter with the saw.

So I’ll be watching for any signs that we need to have that chat with Mick!

Mick and Dew are half sibs. We are now calling them Dew and McLucky. Cause they are!

He’s back in his porch chair waiting to go work sheep. So I think he’ll be fine.

My Dad is fine now that Mick is. It's amazing what a martini or 2 will do!

(What is a "come to Jesus meeting"?)

In a scary story, this is the funny part -- you asked before I did -- I just thought it was another one of those weird American expressions :rolleyes:

Ailsa in Canada

(What is a "come to Jesus meeting"?)

Best way I can describe it would be: if your child ran out in traffic you would not be happily singing at him to get out of the street. It's a conversation between you and your dog or child where he gets the pants scarred off him or to say the least the idea that you are not pleased in anyway. Not necessarily physical but if need be I'm not against a swat to let him know I mean business. And NO I DO NOT BEAT MY DOGS or kids!

Maybe like someone who’s done some horrible crime and right before being stoned or put to death he asks forgiveness from Jesus and is saved?

When Dew and I had our come to Jesus meeting we were at home and I had the luxury of letting her sit and think about things afterwards. It took her about a half hour to come back to me. I didn’t call her or talk to her till she was ready. She sulked and I made sure it was over (I wasn’t mad or upset) when she choose to come back over to me. She's never challenged my recall or NO (at least when not on sheep) again. I never laid a hand on her but sorry to say I think she peed on herself in fright (probably me too :rolleyes: ). Way better than scraping her off the truck wheels she had decided to go after. I would not do that just to train a recall but this was a matter of life and death.

So that’s my definition of a come to Jesus meeting.

Thanks for the well wishes. Mick is doing fine. We had to go out today and find sheep in the way back pasture of my neighbor’s huge unfenced field. He's tired and probably a bit sore but, he seems to be no worse for the wear. I sure if I shaved him I'd see some nasty bruises. He's on an anti-inflammatory for another issue he had so I’m sure it's helping this too.

What would you call that in Canadian? :D

Kristen