BC Boards

Dry skin + Sensitive Tummy

Samantha, my 11 yr old, has pretty dry skin. I was giving her fish oil + vit e caps, but her gut has gotten so sensitive that the fish oil, (or canned salmon or canned mackeral) gives her the most god-awful diarrhea for a couple days, I can't give it to her anymore.

Anybody else got anything for dry skin? Flax seed oil does the same thing.

Ruth n the BC3

my dog had that so severely I had given up hope. But after 5 weeks on Nutro all natural dogfood(and no supplements) it began to look fabulous!!

And Nutro is only a midgrade food too!!

(We are afraid to change her to anything better as we finally have her allergies and horrid colitis under control and don't want to jinx it...lol).

So don't give up hope.

It can take up to 8 weeks to fix. Probably sooner since you are using the fish oil though.

You may want to have her tested for thyroid probs since she is an older dog, or checked for allergies though, just in case.

We feed Natural Balance fish and sweet potato, maybe would be a good food to try as its high in fish oils and very good for allergy stuff, which could be part of the dry skin stuff. Hoku had pretty bad eye snots, and when we switched to the NB they cleared right up. The person who recommended it has very good luck with it for a problem that sounds similar to yours.