BC Boards

Rescues Can Do Almost ANYthing

I agree with RDM about the romantic/heroic idea that some people have about a "rescued" dog. When describing Daisy, I say "rehomed" instead since that word is so much more neutral. I have no idea what her puppyhood was like, and even if I did, I'm no dog psychologist, so I think it's better not to imply anything. If she's naughty, she's naughty, blame me! My guess is that she's skittish sometimes because it's in her genes to be.

The problem with rescue terminology is that owners of rescued dogs are as quick to blame (excuse) their dogs' problems on the fact that they are rescues as the general public is.

That drives me crazy. Zoe does admittedly have some mental issues, but it drives me nuts when people see her and say, "Oh, is she a rescue then?" They just automatically assume that her issues are BECAUSE she was in rescue (or she was obviously in rescue because she had "issues".) When the truth is that's just her personality. Her sister turned out just fine. She was never abused, like people assume. She just has some quirks, that's all, just like Oreo (who was NOT a rescue!).

I do like "rehoming" - career change suits our dogs well, too, since we're doing a lot of retraining - sometimes making career dogs out of family dogs, sometimes reversing the process, lol.

I love it when new homes understand that these dogs are usually highly adaptable and are willing to do two things:

1. Don't make excuses for the dog
  2. Do what's needed to meet the dog's needs.

This kind of attitude goes such a long way towards making even the most tricky adoption work!

There have been a lot of thanks to rescuers on this thread, which I appreciate - the dogs give back though 100% and most of the time that's thanks enough! But I have to say,

Thanks to those who give rescues a place in their homes! :rolleyes:

I am so in awe of people who open their homes to animals who need help. I am also very aware that it takes a family commitment to deal with the disruption of the normal routines, vet visits, rocky periods as the newcomers find their place in the household, the added expense for food and other supplies, etc.. I sometimes think of the animals who were with me in a transient way, and I have to say that each and every one made a mark in my heart.

I took care of my neighbor's cats while her husband was trying to recover from a car accident. What I thought would be a few weeks turned into 6 months. One cat was truly grieving from the loss of his family and daily routine. It took me WEEKS for him to even let me pet him briefly--and then his heart opened up and he made up for lost time by cuddling with me. I still think of Martin from time to time--how he finally just decided to trust me. Just like that. While not a rescue situation, it gave me a window to those special moments when an animal in need honors you with trust.

Rebecca, you make it feel like we are truly there with you--the mark of a talented writer. If you wrote one essay/chapter per day/one page, in one year you would have a 365 page book that I would wait in line to buy. So there! :rolleyes:

Charlene

I appreciate your post, Rebecca, and all of the other thoughtful remarks made by all of you folks who have made rescue a way of life. I know that rescue can sometimes be discouraging, but it is appreciated. Thank you all for continuing to do the things you do to make rescue possible.

Rebecca, that was great. I'm a little late coming into this thread but I'll post anyway.

When I first got Black Jack (you all pretty know about it but anyway) he was quite, afraid, skinny, and not very happy. Now two and a half months later he's, happy, more fit, and he loves life. You can see it in his eyes, before his eyes were dark and they just didn't look loved. Now they're bright and full of life :rolleyes: I'm thankful everyday that I got to rescue him. I couldn't have ever found a better dog. He's my one in a life time dog.

I don't agree with Ruff Mutt Gang when she said, "Perhaps none of them are true working dogs" because Black Jack for one has a lot of fun trying to herd. And I think he'll do great as soon as I start working stock with him too. I don't think that just because they're from a rescue means they have less talent, or arn't true working dogs anymore.

I don't agree with Ruff Mutt Gang when she said, "Perhaps none of them are true working dogs" because Black Jack for one has a lot of fun trying to herd. And I think he'll do great as soon as I start working stock with him too. I don't think that just because they're from a rescue means they have less talent, or arn't true working dogs anymore.

An awful lot of them are working dogs, and that has a lot to do with why they are in rescue in the first place. One dog we placed last year is so promising on sheep that his owner was told "in 30 years you'll look back and wish all your dogs could have been this good." I agree it's not fair to make that assumption.

RDM

i am prefectly happy with my rescue.. and from wat i and the people around me can see.. both his and my quality of life improved tons after we found each other.

Despite of his history... we are able to work on his issues.. all you need is time and love

380217145_5ffd29eebd.jpg

You can even teach him how to read his own agility books!!

We are hoping to go for some jumpers trails soon.. and will be making it there as a senior citizen!! :rolleyes:

And yes.. even here..'predigees' are given up.. not due to the dog's problems.. but mainly the ignorance of those people buying CUTE puppies!

sigh..

This girl is up for adoption over here.. i only wish that someone can be found for her.

386605367_7550e813d3_o.jpg

Three of our four current dogs are rescues. The Bouvier we purchased as a puppy has had serious behavior and temperament problems since she was 2, though she was very well socialized and has had a lot of training. Our other Bouv is a rescue that we have had for over ten years, and he is the most wonderful dog you could imagine. He was a therapy dog for years, has a CGC and has done lots of rally obedience.

Our Border girls are both rescues. Meg, our first BC, is the reason we fell in love with Border Collies in the first place, after meeting and photographing thousands of dogs at a Spokane shelter as a volunteer. I have had several wonderful dogs, but I've never felt closer to a dog than to my Meg. Both of our dogs have quirks, but no real behavior issues. Frankly, I've never met a Border Collie that was not high maintenance, physically or emotionally, and that didn't have eccentricities. I'm convinced it goes with the breed.

Maybe this should be put in the FAQs or the Archive? It comes up SO often.

"What, you got a dog like that from a SHELTER?" (VERY common comment about Kessie, who, ironically, does have an abusive past, but none of the expected characteristics, except being fearful of certain situations like ALL dogs can be).

"They're rescues? Do they have any quirks then?" (Not as common, but sucks all the same).

The ones who don't ask things like that are mostly the people who also get their dogs from shelters...

I've really loved this thread. :rolleyes: Unfortunately I have nothing to add as I've never had a rescue BC. However, I did share my life with a very special shelter dog. She wasn't anything outstanding to look at, just a plain black dog. Most likely a chow/lab mix. She was also mildly insane, and got her name by flying at my brother when he went to adopt her, giving him a black eye with one of her paws. Shiner came to live with us on our ranch after a year or so with my brother, and was quite possibly the most useful dog I've met. She was far from a Border Collie in terms of herding ability, but that little dog seemed to understand exactly what we needed and did her best to help us, whether it was holding the cattle off us while we were feeding them, or guarding the livestock and the house at night. She was very low-maintainance, easy to live with and had a level of intelligence and understanding that rivaled that of most humans. When we moved to the city, Shiner went everywhere with me. She was so very well mannered, but she was also fiercely protective of me. My parents felt comfortable letting me take long walks at night because nobody wanted to mess with Shiner. She really was the perfect dog, and people would gape at me when I told them she was from a shelter. I never understood why. Of course she had issues when she first came to us, but training her out of those issues was far less work than raising a puppy.

Shiner lived to be at least 14-15 years old, and was youthful and active up until her last days.

MeShinerCows.jpg

I work with shelter dogs quite often, and try to rehabilitate the dogs that people pass up because of "issues". I work with the "horror story" shelter dogs with aggression, hyperactivity or severe anxiety issues. Sometimes these dogs are scared, sometimes they're frustrated, sometimes they want a job to do and sometimes they're just plain lonely and confused. These are ALL genuinely good companions. Some have tremendous potential for sports like agility and flyball, some are gentle and mellow and just want a sofa to lounge on. These are dogs that people don't think are adoptable, dogs that nobody would consider because of a couple LEARNED behaviors. It's all just behavior, and nearly all behavior can be modified.

Whether or not the dog came from a shelter or rescue has nothing to do with the kind of dog it is, and certainly has nothing to do with the kind of dog it can be.

Ok, here's my pics of Black Jack "then and now". They're old but some of my favorites anyway :D

Here's Black Jack on that special day he came home with me

IMGP0065-1.jpg

Here's Black Jack now :rolleyes:

BlackJack047.jpg