BC Boards

I bought more sheep

Bounce

Cocoa, the lonely sheep is about to become a flock member again. I called my hay farmer today to arrange another load and got talking about sheep. He is taking a load of older lambs to the stockyards this Sunday. I asked him to put aside 3 (ram/ 2ewes) and I am picking them up on Friday.

When you save a dog from euthanasia, its called a rescue. Whats it called when you save lambies from becoming lambchops?

I didn't even know this guy had sheep. His llama would never let me get out of the driveway.

Whats it called when you save lambies from becoming lambchops?
With lamb prices being what they are up your way, and the possibility of the border opening soon and driving up prices, I'd call it SMART. Even if you turn out to hate them, you will make a profit by shipping them, assuming the prices go up pretty fast. Also assuming you paid more or less market for them.

My first ram was a BBQ rescue - he was cheap and did the job, though I wasn't happy with him overall. There was a reason the experienced sheep breeder I bought him from was going to BBQ him. Several, actually, but it was OK. I had to learn and I didn't have the money to spend on a really great ram - and I wouldn't have known what I wanted eight years ago anyway.

So far I've bought or kept most of my rams with just producing lambs in mind, not developing a gene pool. The next set of rams will be terminal sires, though - I think I'm ready to start breeding a ewe flock. I'm looking for a Dorset ram to start off to put to this year's percentage Texel replacement lambs, and then I'm going to look for pure or high percentage Texels (probably from Bill F again if they are still doing Texels).

I love this stuff - especially when this year's lambs are all safely on the ground (well, most, anyway) and it turns out to have been a darn good year.

Have fun with the new sheep!

I can't guarantee I'm not going to BBQ the progeny of these sheep. I'm a huge fan of composting, I will be happy to see one of my piles again soon (C'mon Spring)

I am paying premium for these market lambs ($80) but they are fat and ready and its 3 weeks til Easter. I will live and learn and probably dig a few holes but I'm glad to have sheep again

I'm thinking of selling the goats. I can't contain them and they are going to be hell on the landscaping this year. Now that the house is up, I want to get planting so I can have bees again. However, maybe I should keep the goats to have a source of milk for lambs next spring. I won't miss them but my children might.

I had a friend who did the goat/sheep thing for a while. She did like having the milk for her bottle lambs but she finally gave up the goats in disgust. They kept tearing up the fences, which the sheep would then break up further.

That's REALLY good price if they are still edible age and reasonable size. Market lambs here go for around $1.25 right now. I think - I haven't checked the last couple weeks. May be higher as Easter approaches. Definitely will be higher when Easter gets here.

I picked up the lambs tonight. I came home with 3. Black ram and two white ewes. All are purebred Dorsets and I'm pleased with how meaty and nice they look. They are this winters lambs and the ram is about 60lbs. My daughter had them named before we reached the first concession. The farmer is buying both of my goats (Whew!) Red collared goat spent most of the day attempting to breed my Arabian mare and my German shepherd so its time they went elsewhere.

Wow, I'd sure hate to have a ram around named "Dodge" - as in, "Be ready to DODGE that ram!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Dorsets sound nice, Bounce. I just signed on to a Production Dorset list that's kind of fun. You have to swear on the Sheep Raiser's Bible that you'll never show a Dorset or buy from show stock. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should call our dogs "Production Collies" to differentiate them from conformation stock. Hmmm.

How exciting! I always like getting new critters.

Sheep names can be great fun. All of our 30+ have names. Most with a story behind behind them. Its funny to think over our flock and remember how we came up with such and such a name. Our first black sheep we named Boston after an old time radio show "Boston Blackie", and then there was Frosty who had the tip of her ear frostbit when she was a lamb.

I didn't know there were Barbie sheep for Barbie collies. How are "show sheep" different? I thought sheep were for eating and making stuff out of. I know kids show lambs where you live (not here, except maybe in a kids pet show). I've heard of club lambs and locker lambs, are those Barbie sheep?

I name stuff even though I know I'm going to eat them. I have no problem with Pinky and Oinky going into the freezer next month but I still take time to scratch their ears and talk to them every day. At least they've had a decent quality of life in their short life. I pestered my local abbatoir guy until he gave me a tour of the plant to be sure my beasties were dispatched as humanely as possible. My 14 yr old can't handle it at all. When we have turkey dinner, she has Kraft dinner.

As I mentioned above, my daughter is 14 and has just started high school. We used to be so close but things have changed. She is very concerned about what is "COOL". I am her mom, therefore, I am the height of "Uncool". I insisted she go with me last night because she thinks we need a Llama and I think we don't. Hay farmers Llama is an evil beast. I wanted Heather to meet it and hopefully it would blind her with spit and try to kill her like it does with me. We went into the lambing area and within seconds, she went from a very cool teenager to a little girl again. She was squealing about how cute the lambs were and soon had one tucked under each arm. If only I could turn back time.

We went to meet the Evil Llama and it was pefectly behaved. Of course it had crias so my plan failed miserably. Of course the baby crias are for sale. I'd rather be "Uncool" forever than own a Llama.

Here ya go!

http://www.sugarloafdorsets.com/news.htm

http://www.shadyhillfarms.com/studram.htm

Here's a little summary of the reasons for the difference and some pictures to compare:

http://edgarsheepandgoats.com/productiondorsets.html

There is just something about those baby lambs... As much as I wish my new bottle baby was over in the barn with mom sheep I kinda enjoyed coming downstairs this morning getting her bottle ready and feeding her. I know that will all change within a week as she becomes an absolute pest in the barn :rolleyes: . I can send her to you after her initial cuteness wears off - you could tell your daughter it is a much better alternitive to a llama :D