BC Boards

Slightly OT - Timmy vs Loch Ness

I've been looking after Timmy for a few days again (his owner is on holiday).

It's really hot these days. As I bought a pool for Kessie today - had to, after seeing all the pictures in the gallery - and it's made of two identical halves (meant as a sandbox and its lid), I thougth I'd put one half of it in Timmy's garden, which is where he normally spends his days.

It would be great if he had some place to cool off a bit!

Problem is, he's scared of going in :rolleyes: .

DSCF3794kl.jpg

Food (make that FOOOOOD!!!) is his one big motivation, but in this case it's not working. He'll try to lean across, walk around it, look as pitiful as he can, and even drink the water out of the way. If none of it works, he'll think for a few seconds, and then he goes away to sulk because thinking is not something he normally has to do. Look at that poor tortured dog.

DSCF3797kl.jpg

He did put his front paws in in the end, so there's hope, but I've only got one day left before I (and hopefully Kessie) will go on the next field trip and a neighbour will look after Timmy.

How long did it take your dogs to trust the pools?

:rolleyes: Poor Timmy, I bet he would like it if he would just try it. The second picture is so cute, poor baby.

About two minutes, they both love the pool :D . The hard part is getting the water in it, they love to chase the water going in to the pool too.

Andrea D.

Yes, I'm sure he would like it...silly boy :rolleyes:

If it was Kessie, I'd just put her in there because then she'd realise it's ok. But I think he's been forcefully bathed :D . I don't want the pool to get ANY association with bath tubs, although he may already be thinking exacly that.

He was giving me that look all the time, telling me "I know very well you're trying to get me in there!"

Ha, don't count on his loving it. I got a plastic pool for Fergie. She acted the same way. I sat in it. Lay down in it. Put her in it bodily. She jumped out. She wouldn't even drink from it - went looking for the waterdish in the garage.

She hides from the garden hose, even when I'm just watering porch plants or filling birdbaths. She does chase waves on large ponds - but not at the ocean. About the only times she goes in our local pond are when she's really hot and when she thinks a thunderstorm is coming.

I wanted Riven to play in our sprinklers, and we bought a one that rotates from one side to the other of our lawn. Yeah, she went out and got hit with water and hung her head sulking and acted like I'd just punished her for something. She wouldnt leave my side. She's even smart enough to grab her tennis ball when the water is going on the otherside and run before it comes back. :rolleyes: stupid dog lol :D

He absolutely loves water normally, so I sort of hope he'll put up with the weird blue thing in order to get wet...IF he ever gets close enough to it to find out he can get wet that way.

Kessie runs and hides if I approach the garden hose, too. And even in this heat, she refuses to get in the fountain at university, which makes almost as much sense as this:

Originally posted by nancy:

...and when she thinks a thunderstorm is coming.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

She's even smart enough to grab her tennis ball when the water is going on the otherside and run before it comes back.

LOL, Kessie would do the same. I absolutely adore the sprinkler pictures people keep posting here, and would love to try that, but with Kessie's fractured relationship with the hose, it probably wouldn't work!

Polly loved the ocean--would fearlessly run for her tennis ball in waves that should have terrified her--at 4 months old. BUT, when I would bring her to the shower at the edge of the beach to wash the sand and salt off of her, she would howl and yell like I was killing her, (dirty looks from people who were passing by--poor puppy).

Yes, hoses and showers are murder weapons. If dragged to the hose and washed, both Kessie and Timmy stand very still, all hunched up, tail tucked in, looking as miserable as they can. Then it's time for a shake and a sulk. Timmy, especially, can sulk as if he gets paid for it.

How hot must it get for them to appreciate a shower? :confused: We just don't live on a house boat, a shower or a pool will have to do sometimes!

On a positive note, Kessie is allowed to go on the field trip with me tomorrow . Three days high up in the mountains. She'll have plenty of snow to roll in up there!

I'm reminded of Timmy every time you describe Zeeke. They're sound extremely alike! Timmy is a bully and a thief. And LOUD.

Back when we still ran around in the woods together and got into trouble, he had no problem accepting me as the leader, but now that he's old and slow and life is less exciting, we squabble around over nonsense like an old married couple :rolleyes: .

He's always testing how much he can get away with, and sulks if it doesn't work. Sound familiar? I don't know any other GSD well enough to make comparisons, but those two seem to have a lot in common.

I love him but he makes me realise how easy life with Kessie is.