BC Boards

Swelling!

This morning before I went to uni, I let Gypsy out and fed her, and I noticed the left side of her face (from her nose to her eye) was swollen a bit. That was at about 7:30. It's now 11:00 and the side of her face is about twice as big as it was. The other side is fine, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her... She let me touch it, and I lifted her lip very gently to look at it on the inside and she whined and pulled away. I looked inside her mouth and nothing looked off. I don't know what she could have done to make it swell that much. It doesn't seem like an allergic reaction because it's only the one side. But I don't know how she could have done anything to it last night in her kennel. If anyone has any guesses as to what it is, please let me know!

Could be dental, could be an allergic reaction to something.

Same thing happened to Jack when he was younger. I gave him a Benedryl and called the vet. They said I did the right thing and to call back if the swelling didn't go down. It did, in short while, and he was fine.

I have no experience with dental, but I hope Gypsy is ok!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

My Mojo had a similar experience and as Paula mentioned with her Jack, it was an allergic reaction (to fire ants I found out) and his swelling went down with some antihistamines. I hope your pup's problem is just as easy to fix and it's nothing more serious!

Poor Gypsy! I hope she's ok, and gets better soon.

This happened to Woo, except his entire head swelled. We went to the Emergency vet and paid $250.00 for some Benadryl. However, it was a carpenter ant that got him, the little bastards!

And once Tweed ate a wasp right before his run in an agility trial. He looked like he was hiding an orange in his cheek. Gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "cheeky."

Let's hope it was nothing serious!

RDM

Alright! I called the vet yesterday and since Gypsy was doing fine, (other than looking like a little bull terrier!) he said to come in this morning at 8:00. My bf took Gypsy there while I was at school, and the vet says it's an abcess (kudos to you Shoofly ) and gave us some antibiotics. The swelling's already started to go down.

Last night while she was asleep I peeked under her lip and there was a big purpleish spot on her gums right where her molar is coming in on the left side. Poor girl! Ah well, the vet said is should clear up soon enough with her antibiotics 2X a day. And she's due for her booster in a week, so he'll check it again... and of course charge another truckload. :rolleyes: I guess you can't put a price on a family member's health though, and at least it wasn't something major! I can just imagine what the bills would be if she'd needed surgery.... :eek:

I'm glad she's feeling a little better. At least you know what it is now, the worst thing is not knowing. So will the molar come down on it's own now that the swelling is down?