BC Boards

Good Vet in Lexington KY?

I'm heading to Lexington next week for the Bluegrass, and wouldn't you know it, one of my dogs has a problem to keep me from having a carefree trip. My Luke has a probable tooth-root abscess, being extracted tomorrow, and in his pre-anesthesia bloodwork, he has a couple of values that worry me, such as a HCT of 33% (last month it was 40%-routine old-dog workup, just coincidental). I lost a dog from Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia a couple of years ago, so low PCV's get me agitated. He's an arthritic 11 year old, no worries otherwise, and I have to take him along. Leaving him at home with my husband (who isn't thrilled to have the ones I AM leaving) is not an option. So, if I bring along his medical history, and I get hyper, does anybody have any suggestions who to call there if I need? I can call them before I leave if I need to (GOSH! I AM hyper, listen to me). Many thanks!

Dr. Amy Rease is there most of the time running her dogs. She has helped me in the past and would recomened her. I sure you could drop Bob Walsher a note and he could tell you if she or other vet. will be there and if not whom they have on call. Trial host. should alway havee a vet on sight or on call durning a trial. I know this from nrrding onr more then once at ny trials.

A,

I'm not sure what's going on with the volunteer thing! I told Cindy in several emails I was available all five days, all day long except for my two runs. I'm guess they know I'm always around and they'll use me to be a gopher and fill in where ever needed.

I forgot about the Tequiza thing. Do they still make that? I haven't seen it in a long time.

Jennifer

Thanks all for the information...he had two teeth out, and a small mass on his tongue (one stitch!-yuck)and seems good to go this afternoon.

I was thinking yesterday, it seems appropriate to have a vet on call for trials, and I know a lot of DVM's run dogs, but staying far from home and needing help on a weekend (as trials usually are) can be troublesome. Good to know most trials have somebody to call!

I am very sad to report that I did need a vet at the trial, and I am extremely overwhelmed right now because I lost Luke in a freak accident today. He was helping me round up leapers at the top of the novice field (why he was not tied). The water truck came up and refilled us, I was loading the chutes and he got under it to cool off. When they left, he didn't get up in time.

A vet was called and she was up there in 5 minutes to put him down. I hate myself for havng him out there, for knowing he was a slow riser and liked to get under trucks, for causing a whole bunch of people to have an absolutely miserable day. I thank God for the help and the kindness I have been shown, and for these wonderful friends who have shown me such compassion. I love you all and I am so sorry to have this happen at this trial.

Luke was the best dog I ever had. He got me into this thing I love to do...if not for him, I would never have gotten into herding or pen work the way I have. He was goofy, sweet, protective, driven (to play ball or sticks or mess with cats or sheep) and he has been my constant companion for the last eleven years. He wasn't a "great" or even good stockdog. Well, maybe he was more good than bad. He just wasn't of the same calibre as the dogs we sort sheep for, but he was a great PR man for the non-BC people we met along the way. He didn't deserve to die like this, but part of me knows God has His reasons. I am so very sorry for the folks who had to witness it...it was no one's fault but mine. I'm sorry. I'm just so sad and so far from home and don't know how to get through this.

We don't know each other but I lost a dog in a situation that I feel responsible for and the anguish is incredible.

The pain you feel is a reflection of the love you had and you still have.

I know it's trite but time will help you remember the good times which, if you think about it, greatly outweigh this one awful moment.

Kathy

Oh Debbie, i'm so so sorry. I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. I know how much you loved that wonderful boy. It wasn't your fault, accidents do happen and you can't know every little thing that's going to/might happen. Luke had the best of lives with you, being more "border collie" than many of our dogs will ever be with all the work you've done over the years with him in pens and chutes all over the place. I'm sure he'd have rather lived the life he had than lived another few years having spent it all on the couch nice and safe and protected. You gave him the best life you possibly could have, so have no regrets there.

That said, i'm so so sorry for your loss. We'll all give the dogs an extra pat today and think of you and Luke.

Thanks Robin, Kathy...day one has passed. This is just awful. I can't stop thinking about it and seeing it and missing him. I want to quit my job, quit trials, quit having dogs, go home, not go home. I cannot for the life of me understand why. It was that quick and SO nobody's fault, including mine, the driver's, Luke's--nobody's. It just happened. I am sorry to do this here, but I can't talk about it with anybody without losing it and making both of us miserable. I want to stay here and finish the trial, but I feel so uncomfortable around anybody but sheep (I even make my dogs miserable, they're all confused) I hate to try to do Sunday. I'm free to go right now, but not looking forward to driving eight hours away from here crying my eyes out every ten minutes. I'm skipping the banquet because I can't face anybody.

I know this will get better, it just hurts so bad right now. When the water truck came up today, after a couple of minutes, all my dogs just started howling. THAT was bizarre and unnerving.

Debbie,

I can, to some degree, understand what you're going through. We lost Mick, our first Border Collie, eleven years ago, different cicumstances, but we lost the friend who changed our lives in much the same way Luke changed yours.

We went through a period of "what if we had...", but that led to little comfort. What we realized, and still do today, was that Mick was still part of us, of what we became, much as Luke changed your lives.

Mick is still with us, Luke will be with you. This may not seem much comfort now, but in the days, weeks and months ahead, he will be with you in the pens, reminding you of the lessons you -- the two of you -- learned, the incredible job the two of you did -- and will do -- in helping those of us at the post feel good about our sheep.

If it is any comfort, we will be with you tomorrow whether you're at the top or heading home.

Colin, Marti & Mick

Debbie, Colin's right. Luke will always be with you, in all you do and in all the dogs you'll love now and in the future. I see my old Rami dog in the way Belle makes me smile, Gael blows me off and in a hundred different ways and manners in all the dogs. Luke's energy has rejoined the universe and it'll find you in ways large and small from now on.

When Rami died it helped me to realize the grieving was for me, that it's a process you have to go through and it's for those left behind. And remember great grief comes from great love and you wouldn't trade one tiny little bit of how you loved Luke for one less bit of pain now. Hang in there girl and if you need to get away, feel free to come on over my way (and neighbor Colin's too) and we'll be there for ya to cry on our shoulders.

I just noticed the additions to this thread. I'm very sorry that this happened, Debbie. I know EXACTLY what you mean right now about quitting. I can't though, myself, and you probably know why.

Steve's probably giving Luke a pat on the head right now and and Luke's saying (dogs can talk in heaven, you know), "You know, it's the darnest thing our meeting like this. . .nice place this, where's the sheep?" :rolleyes:

Luke is my favorite dog name, by the way. I'm saving it for my next pup - now it will be doubly special.

Debbie, I don't know you, but somehow feel connected "a little" because of your postings on this board. I am so sorry for your loss of Luke. I lost a dog in the same way years ago during a thunderstorm - in my own driveway, by my vet's truck. Things happen that are not always under our control, and we must accept that there is no undoing that kind of fate, and let go of any blame or guilt.

I'm sure you are still in the state of shock and grief, and this will pass in a while. You will be able to remember Luke for the great dog he was, your relationship with him, and the mental images of the good times you had together will supercede the images of this weekend. Take consolation in the fact that his suffering was brief, and that dogs live "for the moment" not thinking as we do about what might lie ahead tomorrow.

For now, do what you need to do for yourself, and for your other dogs, and do not worry about any responsibilities you feel you have to any organization. They will manage to get along while you heal and reconcile you life.

Debbie - When I lost my young dog, Skye, my grief was full of "if onlys" and "what ifs" and self-recriminations. I feel so bad for you and I hope that time eases the pain.

Luke will always live on in your heart, your memories, and your work with your dogs.

OMG, Debbie, I'm so sorry about Luke. I didn't know about it. I understand how terrible you must feel. The more responsible and loving you are toward your dogs, the easier it is to think you could have prevented whatever awful thing comes along, when really such things are unpreventable. I know you know that time is all that will make it better, and it WILL, but it's hard in the meantime.

I will do something nice for a dog today in memory of Luke.

Debbie,

I read your post Saturday morning, shortly after Robin posted her heart-felt response. I have been sad and tearful all weekend for you and Luke. I know you and Luke are a lot like Rip and me, and you've been in my thoughts almost constantly since Saturday. Yesterday, on the way home from working Dhu, I was listening to a bluegrass song that made me think of you again.

"Too many things we love, too soon are gone - but not forgotten..."

Holding you in the light of friendship and healing.