BC Boards

Mary B: Status 3/16/05

From Cathy Balan posted on Sheepdog-l

Mark

Mary's surgery is at 7:30 tomorrow morning...(Tues 8th)

she will be in ICU for a few days following the surgery... I will post how

she comes though the surgery and when she will be able to take phone calls

after today.....she was in better spirits yest....and is very happy with the

surgeon she has....

Cathy

Hi all. I just got off the phone with Mary. She wanted me to extend a thanks to everyone for their support. She got her e-cards and messages from the hospital today. She said it has given her the boost she needed to face her surgery tomorrow. Thank you all so much!

Renee

The tenative plan....

Surgery, hopital recovery, then recovery at the Balan's. I believe Renee said 4-6 weeks before she can head home.

She has sold her trailer; Cheryl & Dick will bring back all her dogs (when they eventially head home) except Val who will stay and keep Mary company.

Mark

Julie,

that's a good question and I had thought about it in passing. I guess the best bet would be to send them to her c/o the hospital with no room number (or better still to ICU). Once she's out of ICU I'll make sure to post what room number and the folks in ICU should be able to forward cards to the right room.

Mark

I haven't heard or called to find out. I was told she'd be in ICU for a few days and wouldn't be able to take calls.

My contact there (besides Mary) is Cheryl Williams and I know she's tired and constantly answering phone calls so I thought I'd leave her be for a few days.

Perhaps Sue Asten can add some info for us.

Mark

Mary was moved out of ICU last night. She's still heavely on morphine and needs rest; therefore, her phone has not been hooked and is not taking calls. She can get cards and emails so that when she's able they will be there for her to read.

Mark

on edit: obviously I should have spell-checked this before posting. I'll leave my mistake so Joan's post makes sense.

Originally posted by Pipedream Farm:

Mary was moved out of ICU last night. She's still heavely on morphine and needs rest;

Mark

Mark, I first read this as "she's heavenly on morphine." And then a great memory of Mary popped into my head.

It was at the Hoffman place, one of those years that Mary took care of the entries, etc. She was kneeling on the ground, posting scores. Someone was standing next to her (I won't mention his name), and he was telling someonne (I won't mention her name!) exactly what he thought of something she had done. Mary thought he was talking to *her*, and she was getting madder and madder. She was trying hard to stay calm. I didn't know what was going on, but I did see her over there with her face getting redder and redder. She was quite relieved to discover that she wasn't the one getting the tongue-lashing. :rolleyes:

I was able to talk to Mary last night; it was only for 1 min since she is still not always up to talking. She's now in room 243.

This is from Cathy Balan:

just letting those that have e-mailed me that Mary is in room 243....some of

you know and others I haven't told but up until now she wasn't up to phone

calls....she now has her phone hooked up.....there may be times she doesn't

feel like talking but will let you know when you call if she doesn't feel like talking.....

they are going to try and start her eating....she is off IV fluids and walks some in the halls....she is still getting a tube feeding till she is eating....I will let everyone know when she comes home to my house..

Cathy

PS if I left something out that you want to know just e-mail me.....we don't have the final report yet...

Mark

I got this from Cathy Balan.

Mark

This will be my last post about Mary.....as she is doing quite well.....the final diagnosis is cancer BUT!!!!!! it doesn't require radiation or chemo...its a very rare type of cancer that's different from other types of cancer (quote from the doc) the doc said if you have to have cancer this is the type to have and she shouldn't die from it.....she will need to be followed though......if all goes well she should come to my house by Fri....she looks very well today and in good spirits.....

any other info please e-mail me privately...

Thanks Cathy