BC Boards

Thumping Dog!

This morning I took Sophie and Lucy out for a off-leash walk on the foothills, and a big lab came to say hello, it came bounding towards us.

Then it started to growl at Sophie who flitted about, Lucy just stood still. Sophie was then chased by this "controlled off-leash" dog, far into the distance. I called, the man called and ran after it. I didn't want to leave Lucy and she doesn't run fast (nr16yrs).His dog came back first, Sophie followed in time. But.... The man grabbed his dog in a football hold, and started to thump it. He threw it onto the ground several times like a man throwing someone up against a wall. It was horrible, certainly not worth beating your dog over! He put the dog on leash and off he went, the dog seemed fine, as if it were an 'everyday occasion'. Other than that we had a good walk.

Thats awful, someone should beat the cr@p outa that man to see how he likes it. Did you say anything? Its one thing not being able to control your dog but to beat the dog up as if its its fault, its just sickening. Some people should be shot !!!!

Wow how awful! I agree with you there.

I also would have thought it would just have been easier if he had never let his dog off the leash in the first place!!! Especially knowing it's like that.

My firm belief is that when you use violence on a dog you are teaching him/her to use violence on others. They say that dogs are mentally equal to a three yr old. So that makes sense to me.

I would have stepped in there and had some words(but then I have a big mouth about that sort of thing) and then would have reported him to whomever takes reports on that sort of thing in your area. Even if I had to follow him back to his car to get a plate #.

I'm with you there Beth, I'm normally fairly quiet (even shy at times) but if I saw that I know I'd loose it and say something, which no doubt would be offensive!

I'm so sorry you had to see that, well I'm sorry it actually happens but you know what I mean.

Wow, um, jeez. Some people. O.O I did have to tell my husband not to YELL at the dog (especially not after calling him!), but yeesh. Although sometimes BC owners can be shocked at the "rough" treatment that other [large] breeds recieve. DH and Zeeke play VERY rough, and Zeeke loves it (though I of course get mad because I agree with Beth - I don't want Zeeke thinking it's okay to play that hard with people!). Though what you described is beyond that.

Amazing that the dog came back to the guy, shows just how loyal dogs are. We make a point to never call 'here' to Hoku to something he won't like (bath, etc) or to scold him if we have to call him off something we don't want him doing. He always get GOOD stuff for coming (and his recall is getting great). That poor Lab is gonna learn to not come with the 'reward' he gets.... Some people are just into the domination thing.

Very hard to watch. I witness someone 'correct' their dog by picking it up by the ears and shaking it.... I almost lost it. The person thought it was just a fine way to train the dog. I just had to walk away after saying my peace, didnt affect them at all. They probably think I'm the nut...

Yeah, I can't believe people. I can't say I don't get mad at times, but I take a deep breath and I'm better. I never take it out on animals. People are another story, I'm uselly shy too but when it comes to that I'm not. I hate it when peolpe hurt dogs, or horses. I have seen people twist horses ears so hard they bleed. I got so mad, and it wasn't even my horse. If anyone ever did anything like that to my horse, or dog (when I get one) it would go bad in a hurry. but I'm really protective of my animals. God Bless

I have to say that there is nothing Popcorn likes more than a "Goooodd Boooyyy!" and a thump on the side. But when I do it, it is out of affection and gentle.

Now when it's done out of anger, or violence IT IS WRONG!!! why can't these people get that?!?!?

I will never understand that- I swear!!

~Gnashes teeth and Grumbles~