BC Boards

Prey drive vs good livestock work

The whole prey drive thing from the other thread got me wondering if seeing isn't believing for some of the more visually oriented folks in this conformation/working dog breeding debate. I'm not sure I can demonstrate this through these pictures, but here's a try:

Below is a pic of Mick in a confrontation trying to move a ewe who has just lambed. While Mick is perfectly capable of being as aggressive as he needs to be in order to get a job done, in this instance he was able to communicate his message effectively without aggression. This was taken the moment before she gives up and turns. Note his posture and the determination in his stance:

12854380.jpg

In contrast, here is a pic of the same dog moving a newly born lamb that has gotten separated from its mom. Note here the difference in posture and attitude from the previous picture. He's actually gently nudging it along:

15129920.jpg

This difference in attitude and feel in the different situations and types of sheep is the polar opposite of what would be occurring if Mick were only demonstrating "prey drive." Prey drive would be manifested by him wanting to catch and kill, or at least be aggressive toward the smallest or weakest of the prey -- the lamb. Prey drive would not manifest itself by him wanting to take on the biggest, most aggressive, most difficult prey -- the protective ewe.

Below is pic where both the ewe and lamb are in the picture. Kate is turning an aggressive ewe with a newborn lamb. Kate has just tipped the scale and won the battle here. The ewe was stamping and jumping up and down but Kate walked on with confidence and moved her. Notice where Kate is focusing her attention. Again the opposite of "prey drive," she is focusing on the sheep she needs to control to get the job done, not the easy one to catch and eat.

14719631.jpg

There is a lot going on here that we can't see. What we see is only the tip of the iceberg of the depth of communication going on between these dogs and sheep. While prey/predator relationships might have been the origin of this ability to read or feel each other on the part of these dogs and sheep, it is not "prey drive" at work when a good sheepdog reads the situation and stock properly and gets a job done. I challenge anyone who thinks they can train this sort of natural inbred ability into a dog who doesn't have it.

Denise

Mark, I wasn't worried about you getting it

I took all these pics with my little Nikon CP5700 before I got my big, heavy, Canon 10D DSLR. Back then I had that 5700 with me everywhere I went. Whenever I saw something interesting, I took a picture. Now, although the camera and pictures I do take are probably better, I don't take nearly the number of pictures that I used to. Oh well.

I hope other people will post some pics if they have any, and explain what they think is going on between the stock and the dog. Or just some pics of dogs working stock with no explanation. Any takers?

Denise

Thanks, Laura. Good job.

I would like to point out that in the the two pics I where I show the dogs in confrontation with the ewes, if the dogs had looked to me to tell them what to do, or diverted their attention to acknowledge a noise from a clicker, they probably would've gotten the snot butted out of them.

Also, back to prey drive - prey fear their predator. They don't respect it. Good stockwork should generate respect from both parties for each other (you should also be included in a triangle of respect).

Denise

clark_sm.jpg

Clark is a young dog who has trialed a few times at a Novice level.

craig4_sm.jpg

Craig trials at a Pro-Novice level

kyu_circle_sm.jpg

OK, here's a merle. Kyu is from working lines (not an AKC dog) and won his first trial (Novice)

bear_walkup.jpg

Now here's Bear his first time out (at the age of 5).

Sadly, there are no pics of Wicked herding because, well, she doesn't herd. At all.

Here's some silly "prey drive".

JenBiteSm.jpg

Here's the same dog on her stock, several months later.

JenRedtopMay04Cut.jpg

Hubby's dog:

DougRedtopMay04Cut.jpg

My dog as a pup:

RickSheepFeb1999.jpg

Awsome pics.

But sorry, I don't buy the premise.

Look at studies of predatory behavior development in canines that hunt in groups (wolves, African wild dogs, sometimes coyotes). The urge to chase moving prey from behind kicks in first, then flanking to control the prey and finally biting/kill behaviors. Take out the biting/kill stage, and doesn't this sound like how a young dog develops stock sense?

Plus if it isn't some sort of truncated predatory instinct that drives these dogs to control stock for hours on end, what is it? Are the dogs expressing some sort of care-giver behavior?