BC Boards

Pete has Kennel Cough

shelb'smum

Pete has Kennel cough. I called the woman in charge of fotsering out the dogs and she told me to give him childrens cough syurp. and that if that didn't work she'd get him some antibiotics.

my question is.. will children's cough syurp really work? what can I do to help him out? and should I keep him away from shelby and other dogs? Help please

: Ben- Tracheobronchitis, commonly referred to as "kennel cough" is usually caused by the bacteria Bordetella bronchiseptica. It can also be caused by several viruses. Some vets feel that it is best not to treat this condition with antibiotics since it is almost always self limiting and the organism is a normal inhabitant of the upper airways. Treatment may lead to resistance problems and difficulty treating the most serious complication, pneumonia, if it occurs. So many dogs are very uncomfortable due to the severity of the cough that I think most vets do use antibiotics to treat this. I personally like sulfa/trimethoprim combination antibiotics such as Ditrim (Rx) or Tribrissen (Rx) or doxycycline but I suspect that many antibiotics work well for this condition -- and no antibiotic at all is OK most of the time. Use of a cough suppressant can make the dog a lot more comfortable, whether antibiotics are used or not.

LOL a little research will do

but please if anybody else has any suggestions

I can't take him into the vet :rolleyes: the shelter won't cover it and with gwen going to the vet for a respitory infection and shelby getting spayed I just can't afford it. shelby has her bordetella Vacination, so I will just keep pete at home and watch him. I have to give him the cough syurp and watch him for 2 days if he isn't better I get some anti biotics for him :D

Ugggh, kennel cough. Pain In the REAR!

Buddy had it when I brought him home from the shelter. He gave it to Jenna and it lingered in our house for what seemed like forever. Probably was something like a month or two. The tough part is not being able to take your dogs out with you. Like someone stated, its really contageious. I dont remember the meds being all that expensive though. You should check with your vet before you write it off.

After boarding at a kennel due to a family emergency several years ago, all 3 of my dogs came home w/KC. Cassie (cocker) required no treatment; Sara (bc) had 1 course of antibiotics; Meg (bc) required 2 courses of antibiotics and cough meds. IMO the treatment needed depends on the particular dog.

My boxer pup (many years ago) came down with "kennel cough". He ended up with full blown pneumonia. Had to steam up the bathroom, and put a towel over his head, and help him clear. My point is that kennel cough can quickly morph into something more serious.

I know vets are expensive, but you really should bring him in.

Julie

ok, I will call my vet today after work and see what he thinks, and if he says bring him in I will... but I am confused on one issue. is shelby at risk even though she has the bordatello vaccination?

She shouldnt be.. but.. there are so mnay strains that is he has a weird on, or the strain morphs she could be.

well it looks like they both have it some how... :rolleyes: what a drag

I caught Shelb's coughing ans sneezing today...