BC Boards

Lepto heads up

Denise Wall

Denise I totally missed this somehow. Our thoughts and prayers for a full recovery for Mick.

Thanks for sharing this vital information!

Considering where we live I definitely need to get my gang vac.! Thanks for the info! What about my pup Skip? Is there a certain age to give the vac?

Denise, thoughts and prayers for Mick's total recovery. Poor guy! You must have been half crazy with worry. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

I had Keegan vaccinated for this a couple years ago but haven't since. This is good warning that we should keep this up.

His was a series shots such that he had to have a booster than the vaccination. Does that sound right???

Robin - I might be interested in your overage if you are willing to help me administer.

Thanks for the heads up Denise...I thought it was something else the vet wanted me to pay for but really didn't need.

I hope that Mick is feeling top notch soon.

This sounds very much like what my Sadie may have died from in February. The vet did several tests, but not one for Lepto. She said it would take a good week to get the results back, and that Sadie would either be better or "not" by then. Wish I knew if Lepto was the killer or not. Is Lepto likely in winter at all??

Becca, Linda, Rachel and Deb, thanks so much for your kind thoughts. I'm hoping for the best but thankful he's alive.

Sadie's Law,

"Is Lepto likely in winter at all?? "

It can be present in the winter depending on the temperature where you live. Also, I imagine if a dog ate an infected carrier, such as a mouse or rat, you could get it any time of the year.

Denise,

Hope Mick is doing OK.

Dixie girl wrote

What about my pup Skip? Is there a certain age to give the vac?
When I had my pup in for his second shots recently I asked the vet about the Lepto. He said he gives Lepto in the last of the puppy shots (usually around 12-14 weeks old) and then yearly there after, so my dogs have been vaccinated for it. The vet said he had stopped doing Lepto but then a few years back it started showing up again in our area, so he has been vaccinating the dogs against it for several years again.

Nancy O

Denise - I just got home from NC and was wondering how Mick is doing?

I made an appointment with my vet for vaccinating on Saturday. My dogs are water hogs and spent as much time as possible in the creek down in NC these past few days. So did I!

Again, thank you for sharing this info (and for all the rest of you, Mark, Laurie, Robin, etc., for your input).