BC Boards

Wellness/diarrhea?

I feed Wellness lamb and rice kibble. About a month ago, my dogs all suddenly came down with diarrhea. It seemed to roughly coincide with a change in formulation of the Wellness (or at least a change in size and texture of the kibble--I haven't actually checked the label), so I switched to a different product (first giving them some Tylan) and it cleared up pretty readily. Tried going back to the Wellness about ten days ago, and yesterday two of them suddenly developed diarrhea again. No other symptoms now or the first time around -- good appetites, plenty of energy, etc.

I have to be a little suspicious about the Wellness because of the rough correlation in time, but I know a couple of people in other states who feed Wellness and they've had no problem. I have a vet appointment this afternoon and will be bringing in a representative dog, but knowing what a problem diagnosing diarrhea often is I thought I'd ask if anybody else who feeds Wellness lamb and rice has had unexplained diarrhea recently in their dogs. TIA

I was feeding Wellness Fosh and Sweet Potato missed with Innova Evo until recently. Two of my dogs had some loose stools after buying the new bad back in March and it kept and going until I got rid of the food bag recently. The stools have hardened back up and I no longer have to clean my poodles butt, wish makes me very happy.

I know they did change their formula on all except their "simple solutions" foods. I switched Sammie and Maddie over to the Simple Solutions when I heard about the changeover.

I never gave them the new formula, though.

We just switched after a few years on Wellness , due to diarrhea in ALL my 5 dogs!!!! We had never had a problem with any of them on it.DEFINTILY the change in the food. I kept them on it for about 4-6 months after the change but it didnt make a difference. Apparently this is happening with alot of dogs.

We are currently feeding a new food called Harvest Blend(made in US but canadian and LOVE it!!!

Cheers

Cindy

http://www.bordercollierescueont.com

Do you know what the "change in formulation" is exactly? I feed Chicken Wellness and a few months back mine had diarrhea too. The fecals were negative and I just did the rice thing til they got better. They are fine now but you have my interest peaked.

I worked as a demo rep up until two weeks ago for Wellness. The changes that they made to the basic formulas (Chicken and Lamb) were the addition of Glucosamine, Chondrotian, spinich, tomato, decreased the ammount of copper and (this is what probably has been giving intestinal changes in dogs)added a broth coating to the bites to "make it more palitable to finicky dogs". The only change to the Fish and Sweet Potato is the addition of a fish broth coating, as it is also used as a food elimination diet.

In this broth coating, I have come to understand that it is high in fat (chicken, lamb or fish oil)

I have since gone on to work for Eagle Pack Food now (not related any to the food change)

If anyone has any questions on either of these product lines please feel free to ask.

The change in the bags took place earlier this year ( I know in Vermont it was in January, some places it was a bit later) There were/are however still some of the old bags still on the shelf in places that aren't expired, so they may still be able to be found. The way to differentiate between the two is the bag coloring combination is slightly different, but the easiest way to tell is that the NEW formula has a yellow sticker on the front somewhere that says "WE DID IT" there is also a yellow block to the upper right of the type (SUPER5 MIX, FISH & SWEET POTATO, ect) that states the new additions. The OLD style does not.

The best thing for people to do is to go to www.omhpet.com and email to the customer service and tell them what's going on. I have a demo form that I have to fill out after each store, and I keep putting it on to try to bring it to their attention(I also have been approached by a few people that have said there is something in the new formula that their dog is allergic to, but when they find an old bag, the dog is still fine). Also, bring up the past cost increase to them(this is something that they need to be aware of as well). I know of alot of people who are changing to the Eagle Holistix brands or the Merrick dry. They are both comperable to Wellness, but is a bit more cost effective.

I had problems with the Wellness as well - and had been using it (and loving it) for about a year. I switched to Canidae post haste. I did notice when comparing the old ingredients with the new, that they have added grain fractions (thus increasing the grain content), and decreased the meat (at least on the Super 5 lamb).