BC Boards

Help, really sick pooch

Kadie

Hello, everyone. I picked up a new rescue this morning, and she is very sick. She is not BC, she is an Irish Setter, but she is sick. She has had horrible hot-spots on her back (mostly healed now though) and she had a pup about 6 weeks ago. The pup is at a different home, because it is strong, but she just took everything her mom had. The one I have is just emacitaed, and now has diarhea. I think she got it from being starved then all the food she could have at her last home, and i am going to feed her rice and yigurt until she firms up, but I am still worried. She is very weak. I have never had one quite this bad off. She has a vet appointment on Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers as to how to deal with the diarhea and suggestions on what to feed her.

How could people do this? She is so sweet, such a sweet older girl. I am calling her Adelaide. Hope she makes it. *Sigh*

Kadie

Is she eating at all? Can she walk, does she seem to be in distress?

I might take her to the emergency vet and not wait. If she's eating and walking on her own, doesn't seem to be in any distress, maybe see if you can get her in tomorrow rather than waiting till Tuesday.

With the rice, you can overcook it, using a little extra water so that it becomes like a thick soup, it's easier to digest. And consider well cooked chicken, even chicken baby food, rather than yogurt at first, it's also easier to digest. You can add acidopholus or other probiotics if you want.

Feed small meals several times a day at first.

I hope she makes a good and quick recovery.

Ruth n the BC3

So sorry to hear about the poor girl! I'm afraid I have a tendency to err on the side of caution --is there no way you can get her to a vet any sooner?

I have read quite a few posts on this board about feeding the dog pumpkin to help with diarrhea. You might do a search of the previous posts and pick up some information that will be useful to you.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, Tuesday is the soonest we can go in I think. There is one vet that I heard was open on Sunday, but I know very well I cant afford to take her to an emergency vet. I do what I can, but I can only do so much. I had planned to give her a rotating diet of pumpkin, rice, yogurt, a couple eggs every so often, oatmeal and sweet potatoe. Until she gets a firm stool. then work her back into kibble. I hope she does okay. Also, carrob firms them up, like the yogurt. (My BC is extremely sensitive to any meat, and if she gets any, I give her yogurt to firm her up, it works wonders.)

Thanks!

Kadie

Oh, BTW she doesnt seem to be in distress. I think the problem is dietary, rather than an obstruction or the like, as it began with the food they gave her. (Beneful , I think) Also, she is hungry and thirsty, yet she got car sick, so I did wonder. . .But she didnt know me, and I dont know if she was ever in a car before.

Just pay attention to the baby food--at least in the past much of it used to contain onion powder for flavor. My vet told me that in cats it can cause hemolytic anemia (after I had used some a sa temporary food for an abandoned kitten picked up over the weekend when no vet was open). I imagine the same could be true for dogs in large enough amounts, but don't know it for a fact. To be safe, read the ingredient label....

J.

Update! Well, I mixed a batch of my "superfood". I took 1.5 cups Plain yogurt, 1.5 cups pureed pumpkin, 3 cups overcooked rice (and rice milk), 3 eggs, and .5 cups of Colostrum (from formula, for nutrients). She ate it, half cup at a time, all night, and she is doing quite well. No vomiting since in the truck, so i think she was only carsick, and her diarhea has firmed up now into a semi-soft state. Maybe tomorow I will start her on a bit of kibble, but very slowly. Her general atitude has improved, and she loves her ball. She seems to get along with my other two, and ignores the cat, so I am happy.

After her bath, her gereral health is as follows:

about 20% hair missing on her back and butt from former hotspots (no current sores, some regrowth), probably about 20 lbs underweight, teeth are good and pretty clean, ears are clean, eyes look good, and attitude is good. She appears to be housebroken, crate-trained, quiet, and nondestructive. A great dog, all around!

My final question is this: She had a puppy, we weaned it yesterday, and she appears to have a lot of milk. Will this make her uncomfortable? How long will she carry this milk? What can I do to help her? Will she reabsorb the nutrients in the milk she has already made? This is the first lactating bitch i have had, and will spay her as soon as she is stronger, but I dont know how to help her through this bit. Thanks!

Kadie

Kudos to you! So glad to hear she is doing well. I would wager that the TLC that she is receiving from you has been a major part of her improvement. Most animals respond well to human kindness and care.

Can't help with the lactation issue, I'm afraid. Other than my own offspring, I have never dealt with this.

Hope your new rescue continues to improve and thrive.

Be careful about jumping into kibble for now - I'd prob stay w/ the boiled chicken, rice, pumpkin mix for a few more days until the stools are solid since food changes, especially to a processed food can be rough on a sensitive stomach.

Don't know for sure how it works in the canine world but as a once lacating female who stopped one cold turkey due to very bad toothy baby bite from a 10 1/2 month old. I will say uncomfortable for a short while( couple of days at most). Milk glands stopped producing and no problems. I'd think it would be similar for dogs. Most puppies are weaned around 6 to 8 weeks. I know they have drugs to stop lacating in women. Maybe they have something like that for dogs.

Glad you are there for sweet Adaline.

Yes, I was planning to wait until we had a normal stool to start working her into kibble, as the last thing she needs is a relapse. But Oh, such a sweet baby! Mila (the BC) is a nice dog, but only really likes pets in the early am, then just play later. This girl can just sit with her head under your hand for hours! This actually works out well, as the girls can both be in my bedroom with me, and not get in each others way. Mila gets tired of my cuddles, and acts now like "thank goodness, let her bug the new dog" LOL And Kacey (still haven't settled on a new name for sure and this is the one she came with) is more than happy to be loved. I spent several hours with her last night, and she never leaves my side when I am at home. What gets me, is that even after all she has been through, she is still a sassy, sweet, unafraid, playful dog. It is remarkable. I know people who get down and out for almost nothing. We all have a lot to learn, and I think for those of us that are listening, a good part of that come from our dogs.

Kadie

Hopefully at the vet will give you some advice about stopping milk production on Tues. And it's great to hear that she's doing so well! Bless you for taking her in and caring for her so well.

To help soothe her gut, you can add a little slippery elm to her mix, really calms down the tummy.

Post a pic if you can, I love Irish Setters!

Ruth n the BC3

I am going to try to get pics taken of her very soon, and had planned to post them, but I tell you, they are going to break your heart. when she was wet, her waist was the width of my hand (about 4.5 inches, and her neck was about 3 inches wide. And the loose skin made me cry. Her muscles are weak, and after a little bit of walking, she starts to kinda sink. I think it is just weakness from her conditon and not a nerve disorder, but she spends a lot of time lying down resting. Or trying to scratch her back on the cupboards in the kitchen. She makes a little howling sound when she does it; its very sweet LOL She does seem a lot stronger today though than yesterday. But I can see every rib and vertabrae and both hip bones. . .So sad

Kadie

Good morning, everyone. I have to tell you, this girl is amazing. She came out of her crate this morning jumping around, wagging her tail, and playing with Mila. She ate well, and was so happy. It just makes my heart soar, even though her physical condition will take longer to heal. To know her spirit is strong, and her heart is healing makes me feel like she will make it. She has that will. I am so pleased. Thanks for all you guys have written. I am adding cooked chicken to her diet tonight, and hope that will go over as well as the other stuff. Wish us luck.

Kadie

Isn't it amazing what some tender loving care and some good food can do? Good for you Kadie for taking on this rescue. She sounds like a real charmer, even after all she's been through! Please keep us posted and post pictures when you can.