BC Boards

Forceful diarrhea

Miztiki

Oh my goodness! We got up this morning and Lucy has diarrhea. It was splattered all around the outside of her cage, reaching beyond a foot, splattered against the wall...

Poor thing! She's tied outside until it settles down some. Apparently that egg I gave her yesterday didn't agree with her.

I have never seen such forceful diarrhea.

Poor baby - poor you! Nasty to have to wake up to that in the morning.

You might try some slippery elm powder mixed with a little honey and water. It soothes the intestines and calms things down. Most dogs will just lap it right up.

Hope there's no more dire rear . . .

Ruth n the BC3

I had a nasty experience with Immodium. I'd given it to Sammi, aka "the Hoover" a few times with excellent results. When Buzz came down with diarrhea, I gave him some, figuring that to be a good thing.

Well, while Sammi just had garbage gut, as my vet so eloquently put it, Buzz had a bacterial overgrowth of clostridium perfingens, which made him really, really, really sick. The Immodium, which slows down the action of the gut making food move more slowly thru the intestines, actually made him sicker.

So, I'd just stick with no food for at least 12-18 hrs. Then well cooked rice, almost mushy, with maybe some chicken broth or well cooked chicken. Maybe a tbs of plain pumpkin to a cup or so of cooked rice.

If she starts to throw up, act lethargic, or seems off in any way, get to the vet. Another things dogs will do when their gut hurts is act restless, can't settle down or find a comfortable way to lay.

As long as it's just the diarhhea, you will probably see improvement within 24 - 36 hrs. It probably is just an upset tummy, but I can't even think of Immodium now without remembering Buzz in a lot of distress.

Keep us posted.

Ruth n the BC3

Thanks Ruth! Something to definitely keep in mind. I suggested Immodium since it was believed by the original poster to be a dietary indiscretion. Some dogs can even have a sensitivity to Immodium (apparently the same dogs who have a sensitivity to Ivermectin). As always, check with your vet!

Metronidazole is a great thing to keep on hand as well, it works wonders for bacteria overgrowth.

So if you know the cause of your dog's diarrhea, you can more effectively choose the appropriate meds.

Originally posted by rtphokie:

Metronidazole is a great thing to keep on hand as well, it works wonders for bacteria overgrowth.

So if you know the cause of your dog's diarrhea, you can more effectively choose the appropriate meds.

I 've had good luck with just resting the gut for 24 hours (Ie, no food, just water/or ice cubes and maybe pedialyte if there's a question about dehydration). Maybe a pepto tablet, a few times, or Metronidazole if you have it, works like a charm for bacterial issues.

Miztiki - if you recently switched her to raw, it may be just her body "de-toxing" - getting rid of all the nasty kibbles'n'cr** build up lining her gut. This can be a normal occurence in dogs that are switched over.

Oh my goodness, detoxing is so wonderful. I had a twelve year old dog I borrowed from Steve a few years ago (he ended up staying here as his retirement home). We started very, very gently with him but still about 8 days from the start - KABLOOEY. He reeked from eveyr pore and spewed from every orifice possible in one fell moment. The other older dogs had gone through something similiar but not on that scale. We cleaned him up, fasted him, during that day he had a couple more slight bouts of "hurry up and get theres" - and then magically he looked and acted about four years younger and never had another problem with the food again.

I forget to warn people about detoxing but a warning should be standard practice. It can be a frightening thing but it's normal and usually manageble. And the results are worth it.

This board convinced me to keep canned pumpkin handy. If Fergie has the runs, I stop feeding and give her a tablespoon of pumpkin. Works like a charm.

The problem is how much mold can grow on top of the canned pumpkin in the frig between needs. Got to remember to freeze it - then nuke a scraped tablespoon when I need it.

Greens, and blues, and browns - amazing little spore structures. A great science fair project. But hubby does not appreciate science through experimentation and observation.

Oh I agree! Today was not fun, but being on raw will definately be worth it. Her skin is looking better and her teeth... She's going to have to crunch on alot of bones to get those suckers clean! But it's so worth it just to watch them eat. It's actually a form of entertainment. I think it's even more fun than watching the bugs get zapped on a hot summer night.

Ok, my pill kicked in. :rolleyes:

aaah, the de-tox, no wonder...

be careful of giving Pepto, as it has aspirin in it. My vet doesn't like me giving it.

From personal experience, I can attest the Immodium works REALLY well. not that I'm switching to raw or anything....EEWWWW.

-L

I want one of those pills. :rolleyes: I like watching fireflies but not getting zapped. We do like to watch our "pet bat" Zip eating bugs that collect around the big yard light.

It's amazing how fast the teeth will improve though. I had a dog here with such awful teeth they pegged her age at around nine. After about three weeks on part raw she went back and they revised her age at two to three years!

If it's detox, I wouldn't touch the runs with immodium unless it's a question of convenience. Bland food, bulky food like pumpkin will soothe the g.i. while letting nature take its course.

Carson Crazies, if you're reading this - I wonder whether this is what was going on with June the last couple weeks before the trial when she was really off her feed?

Bonnie ate an entire plateful of freshly cooked chicken tenders one time and blew it out her back end for two days.

At the time we lived on the coast so I took her down to the beach and repeatedly threw a ball into the surf so she'd have to wade in to retrieve it. Did it until she was finally all rinsed out...

be careful of giving Pepto, as it has aspirin in it.
I gave Dublin pepto once when he was projectile vomiting (unusual for him) and it worked like a charm with no ill effects noticable. Most of the 'home vet care' type books I have recommend it...but for dogs only, not cats. It is my understanding that dogs are ok with aspirin, but it is dangerous for cats...

Becca, that certainly could be true. Wouldn't surprise me.

Additionally, she's been nice and normal in the two weeks on the vets diet (which I oppose by the way after reading the ingredients). However, I gave her her kong last night with some pumpkin in it, and this AM she was having gas and the beginnings of problems again. I'm starting to wonder if pumpkin is an issue for her?? That is the one thing she was almost always getting since she came home. I can't imagine it would be, but it certainly looks that way.

I'd also like to add a note from personal experience. As rtphokie pointed out, Pepto has aspirin in it, and you DON'T want them getting a hold of much of it. Been there, done that. Bad idea.

Oh, yeah, pumpkin could be it. I didn't realize you were doing pumpkin every day still.

Some dogs need lots of fiber and some can't tolerate much at all. You just have to work with what works.

Was it IB they gave you? The good parts of that are the cooked egg and rice. I've asked my vet to OK that in lieu of IB and it was fine. Wonder Bread is good too, by the way, and will make the coat very pretty if the dog is tolerant of wheat. It's also good if your dog eats a lightbulb. Yes, my Finnish Spitz mix Maggie did that when she was a pup. Milk and Wonder Bread.

Yepper. She doesn't snarf up things that don't belong to her, and I know for a fact that all she ate yesterday was her kibble, a sliver of a jerky treat (she's been getting a fingertip sliver of these most days too, with no apparent issues) and a kong with pumpkin (a decent spoonfull), her first pumpkin since this food started. I was still giving it to her since she was alternating between constipation and diarrhea (and it looks like the pumpkin may have caused it). *bangs head on wall*

No more pumpkin for Junie-girl. Don't blame her really, I don't like pumpkin either.