BC Boards

Vet visit tomarow!

Well tomarow me and my mom are taking Tex up to the vet tomarow! Hes getting his shots and things like that.Wrre also going to discuse Nuetering him...Hes a healthy dog, but im nervouse on whats up ,cause he hasnt bien ganing any weight.Today we switched him toadult food!! this should faten him up some! They grow up so fast! Hes going to be 9 months on the 8th! Wish him luck!

If he is 9 months old and weight gain has slowed, I would not worry too much. Talk to your vet, of course, and make sure.

My two dogs both stopped really growing/gaining weight rapidly at around 9-10 months old. Kipp is just 1 year old now and is still developing a deeper chest and thicker shoulders and generally filling out, but very slowly. Tess stopped gaining weight at about 9 months old. She was 43 pounds then and she is 45 pounds now at 2-1/2 years.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

If you ever do suspect worms the vet can run a stool check for you too. Also some vets have told that neutering them can help them to gain weight. Not sure if it is true or not.

The vet vistit went great!!! He was such a good boy!He got some supplements and some heartworms/fleas stuff. We also got a cool DVD about puppy training and some flyball hook ups!He got all his shots updaterd and hes going to get microchiped and nuetered 1 month from today!They said he may have a hereditary mange because of the loss of hair but its clearing up because of the hairs growing back! So the vet bill is clean!! Thanks!

I didnt know it either! This mange is a diffrent kind ,Its not as deadly ,and the dogs can pretty much get over it on there own!I was really thinking about studing Tex but I got to think about all the Borders in shelters and Tex doesnt herd so theres not much to pas down but part of his herding champ bloodline and his speed ,and his love of frisbees,balls and running!The benifits are he will not want to leave home,will be alittle bit more calm!!(i dont know about that!)So I think I made a good choice!

Yes, the predisposition to contract demodex mange is hereditary. It has to do with a "substandard" immune system which would also cause any offpring of his other problems. I speak whereof I know because my darling Ben is one of these dogs. He had demodex for about five months as a pup - patches around the eyes, mouth, and some on the legs. It was so frustrating and kind of embarrassing.

If it gets worse you can treat it with topicals you can get from the vet. Actually, I had some luck applying Frontline directly to the bare patches (except around the eyes of course) but I'm not sure whether this worked for some other reason or what, since I've never heard of anyone else trying this.

Good luck!

I'm glad to hear that the vet visit went well and yes, I think you made the right decision.

Are you on summer vacation now then? What will you do all day? Send me an email and maybe we can get together with the dogs. My ankle is all better so I can drive! :rolleyes:

Thanks!! Its pretty much cleared up!There still going to do a skin scrap just in case! Yes ,im on vacation! Scince Tex is all filled with his shots hes safe! Theres a dog park in pearland thats all fenced in and Tex loves to play there maybe we could meet up there? Ill talk to my parents and see!I dont nothing all day but play with Tex and I monitor reptile forums. Soon it will all change and I will be going out and playing with my friends and starting up football training ! But yeah I have all the time in the world!