BC Boards

Adding fiber to diet

Piper

Hi all,

Let's see where to start, I did try the seach function, but didn't really find anything...Piper has issues with her anal gland's and needs to go in every month or 6 weeks for the "finger wave" :eek: and she's terrified of the vet as it is and so would love to not put her through this.

Someone mentioned adding fiber to her food (FYI-she eats dry food). So last night, I chopped up some baby carrots and mixed them in. Piper ate and then came into the kitchen, I looked to see how much she ate and had to laugh because she didn't eat one single carrot, the little pieces were on the floor in front of her bowl and then in the bowl itself-it was as if she would take a mouthful, eat the kibble and spit out the carrots.

So, my question is-what are some other ways to add fiber to her diet?

Does anyone else have the same issue's-their dog that is?

I don't want to have the glands removed, it is not an option-I haven't heard anything good on the outcomes of that surgery and so would like to see if I could remedy it by adjusting her diet.

She is very active and not overweight at all, rather a bit underweight so that is not the problem either.

Any ideas?

All of my guys love canned pumpkin and gobble down the freshly cooked butternut or acorn squash. Buzz won't eat his dinner without some pumpkin mixed into it. They get a generous tablespoon/day.

I've heard of people sprinkling metamucil or something similar on their dog's food, that might help.

Ruth n the Border Trio

My mother's labrador has the same problem. The anal glands become blocked about twice a year and she scoots on the floor. I'm not sure physiologically how fiber would help the situation, but you can learn how to empty her anal glands by yourself. The vet can show you how it is done and you can do it when necessary at a calm moment where the dog is comfortable. It just takes a latex glove, paper towel and some lubrication. At least that's how she's been handling the situation.

The bit about the carrots reminded me of a scene from waaay back when my uncle had a white GSD mix. We gave her a whole lot of Christmas leftovers and the only thing left in her bowl when she was done was a single green pea. I will never know how!

here's a recipe for pumpkin muffins (yes, for the dog!) that was developed by a vet for relief of anal gland problems. can't remember where i got it from, but that was the message that accompanied it.

2 cups flour (any kind)

1 cup quick oats

1/2 tbsp. cinnamon

1/2 tbsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. salt

4 eggs

2 cups pumpkin (large can)

2/3 cup canola oil

1/2 tsp. vanilla

mix everything together and fill muffin tins 1/2 full, or drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet sprayed with pam.

bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

i haven't met a dog yet that didn't love these!!

eileen

and the paws and claws at ravensgate

www.ravensgate.net

Bones in the diet provide bulk and make solid faeces, which should help naturally express the anal glands. Either raw bones, which will help teeth and gums too, or bones that have been pressure cooked long enough so that they become soft and can be mashed with a fork - even fish and poultry bones will break down in this way.