BC Boards

Dean Dog

Root Beer

I haven't been on here forever, but I wanted to stop in to share the sad news that Dean Dog passed this past March.

He lived the longest of any dog we have ever had - he reached his 15th birthday in February.  It meant a lot to me that he turned 15.

Life got tough for Dean at the end.  His hind end weakened considerably in his older years, and, after a bout of vestibular disease in December, he was never quite the same.

But he was content throughout the winter, he was sweeter than ever, and the last months of his life were peaceful and happy. 

In late March, he took a turn for the worse and it turned out that he had a tumor on his spleen that burst.

We miss him.  He was such a strong dog, such a sweet dog, and just an extraordinary presence in our household and in our lives.

But, he got to be old, and that was truly a gift.

2009.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss. I love that you wrote about him as, essentially, a blessing in your life, and I am glad you got to have him with you a long time. There is not much activity on the boards these days, but those of us who have been around a few years will remember Dean. May you find comfort in your grief and hold close all the good memories.

24 minutes ago, terrecar said:

I am so sorry for your loss. I love that you wrote about him as, essentially, a blessing in your life, and I am glad you got to have him with you a long time. There is not much activity on the boards these days, but those of us who have been around a few years will remember Dean. May you find comfort in your grief and hold close all the good memories.

Thank you!  I appreciate that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry, Root Beer. I would have responded earlier, but have been on vacation. I know that it's always very hard to let such a good dog go. I still miss my good border collies every day. Your Dean was a beautiful dog and knew, I am sure, that he was loved.

• 3 weeks later...

Stopping by here for the first time in quite a while, and the first post I came to was yours.  I am very sorry for your loss, but also glad you and he had so many good years together.  Reaching 15 is pretty great, and I'm sure it's a testament to the fine care you gave him.  Peace be with you.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

I also haven't been around for quite a while and scrolling down thru old posts saw this, another loss I'm so saddened to see. 15 is indeed a wonderful age for a dog, and one that speaks to all the good times and love you shared.

Hemangiosarcomas are sneaky things, but my understanding is that he was unlikely to have been in any pain. I hope he's running free in a big field in the sky with new friends and old. RIP, old boy.

roxanne