BC Boards

Puppy Fear Period in the home

Seeking some advice on fear and fear periods. Our 5 month old female pup, has had one fear phase instance around 4 months. Inconsolable barking and crying at bicycles. I was ready to work with her, counter condition etc... lasted a whole day. So strange. 

Today, an issue cropped up which was new, and she's been exhibiting completely different behavior since. I want to assume its another fear period, but I also want to ask more experienced folks. I hate the idea of assuming something is normal or will just extinguish on its own. 

At the building across the street from us, there were workmen working on the roof. These are men in workmen outfits, gloves, ear protection, reflective vests. It's genuinely strange to see that sight on the roof, and it wouldn't be a common occurrence.  She saw them from our window, was alert and started low barking. She also happens to be at a stage where she is hard to re-direct in general with her listening so I wasn't able to really call her away or divert her. A few barks and she tucked tail and fled, cowering in the house. I tried, probably foolishly, to take her to the balcony upstairs to show her the men across the way more clearly. She ran to the opposite side of the house, getting as far as possible so I stopped pushing, and didn't carry her. My partner and I sat with her to try and calm her, she was clearly spooked, but we realized we also don't want to indulge the fear. We opted to spend the day acting normally, and carrying out our routine. She did a bunch of things she never does, she sat completely still on her bed for an hour not sleeping, went into her crate and laid down. Never does either when we're around, she still has puppy fomo. We put her in for a nap after a while of just not shaking the mood, not wanting to play, not taking any food lures (she would take food given to her). Woke, and she was clearly constantly checking the window for the men. Walking out the front of our building, you can see that building and she gives a bark, then tries to run into the first door available, pulls like wild to get away and back to our home.

We started watching tv with her on the couch, and the tv reflects in the windows, which catches her eye, and she gives one bark and retreats to the opposite side of the house again cowering at the front door. So she's been fearful and uncomfortable for about 6 hrs. I know if its a fear stage these come and go, but do we proceed as normal to ensure she knows its ok, do we try and counter against the fear? The internet is quite unclear with a lot of 'stay consistent'. We're working on separation training, which we'll pause as to not exacerbate while she's distressed in the home. Should we cover our windows until she is more comfortable or have her cope with them? Ignore her fear and re-direct so she doesn't rehearse the barking seems obvious, but we wait and see how things escalate/ de-escalate? A fear out and about I was prepared for, so sad to see her so scared in her own home!

Thanks for reading, any advice would be much appreciated.

So sad for your pup.

If you think this may be a one time occurrence and may be somewhat short-lived, I think the fastest solution would be to cover the windows so she can not see out.  Hopefully, that will produce an almost immediate change once she is convinced that the boogeymen are not longer outside her window.

Normally, I would recommend desensitization, etc., but since she is a puppy and she may never see this exact scenario again, it may be easier for everyone if you just managed it (window coverings). If she were to see something similar when she is an adult, she may have more confidence and be able to deal with it better.

Is it the sight that is spooking her or the sound? or both?

Normally, I would recommend desensitization, etc., but since she is a puppy and she may never see this exact scenario again

We live in an urban area, I've never seen this sequence before in 2 years prior, but it could last weeks, you never know with these things. I think thats the strange part, shes used to seeing birds circle up there, not people in strange uniforms. 

Is it the sight that is spooking her or the sound? or both?

She is pretty de-sensitized to noises, our street outside the front is quite loud, but we usually don't enter and exit that side, and our windows are soundproof. We have started more desensitization, training and feeding with the windows gradually cracked to prepare her for summer when they'll be cracked for airflow. Its a good point, I want to claim it was the sight, but tomorrow I will keep an eye out if she seems more noise sensitive in the room where the windows are. 

I think the fastest solution would be to cover the windows so she can not see out. 

Ok, thanks. Never sure when management conflicts with her having the new experiences, but I think we'll give this a shot. Giver her a chance to relax.

At this age I think it is a fear period. For me, I ignore this and just go about everyday things. I do laugh at them though and carry on..I don't like lying to my dogs, covering the window in this case, does not make it go away. Just relax and don't let her draw you into a weird mood worrying about it. Let her call the shots, within reason, and don't force anything upon her.

A few days in. I think we can tell its a fear period, but maybe interwoven with some legitimate spooked behavior, as the men on the roof is odd, she never sees anyone out there. She is very alert in the area, but the men have come back, she was freaked and ran and hid, but we're letting her self comfort and not deviating too much. Today after a period of 'watching' out the window alertly from the couch, she fell asleep on said couch so there is moderate improvement. We'll refrain from covering windows for now as shes not getting worse, in fact shes trying to self calm, so we'll let it run its course. 

On a walk today however she got irrationally scared of a sign, then a wall. It was safe to let her so I let her get clear of her fear on leash and we carried on. This was more in line with what I expected with a fear period. 

Let her call the shots, within reason, and don't force anything upon her.

This was in the back of my mind, so thanks for the advice. 

As a precaution, we had a friend come over whom she'd never met. Due to covid, not too many house guests and wanted to rule out any protection or guarding stuff with the home. She welcomed him in, joyously and played, and in fact lounged about in her areas she's been fearing so could rule that out for now thankfully. 

If things escalate, or proceed beyond 10 days we'll make adjustments and see what to do next. 

Our Australian shepherd puppy had a fear reaction to carports at about the same age.  Carports are common here (we have one too) so this mostly happened on walks.  We remained calm and let him get a good look at any threatening carport from what he considered a safe distance.  After a few weeks it passed.

Interestingly, he was not afraid of our carport when we left the house through a door under the carport.  It was only when we came home from a walk and approached the house from the carport side that he didn't like it.