BC Boards

Very Difficult Crate Problem

I am totally at a loss as to how to solve this problem, so I am hoping to get some ideas.  Piper is 18 month.  When she was a young puppy, I had to remove the dog bed from her crate because she would chew it.  As she outgrew that habit, and I started putting a dog bed back in, she developed another bad habit.  She will always urinate overnight in the crate when I put a dog bed in there.  When I take it out, and she sleeps on the bare crate floor, there is no problem.  Early on, when this developed, I did have her checked for a UTI -- many times -- and she was always negative.  I would take the bed out for weeks, hoping to extinguish the behavior, and then try again.  Always the same result.  By this time, I am positive that this is a "habit", not a health problem. 

I do realize that this is not an urgent problem -- eventually the puppies will sleep outside of a crate.  We're just not at that stage yet, and I don't anticipate that happening too soon.  She doesn't seem to mind sleeping without a bed (although when loose in the house, her favorite spots are on the couch and on our bed, snuggled up in the pillows.)  This has just been driving me crazy because I can't see to come up with a way to break the habit. 

I have tried different types of beds, and last night I tried a folded up, very soft, throw-type blanket.  In the morning, that blanket was still as neatly folded as when I put it in there.  But -- when she got out, yep, there was a pee spot.  I don't think that she does this because it is too warm for her - because if that were the case, she would have moved that blanket away so she could sleep on the bare floor. 

I also should add that those nights that she has urinated, she had been out and urinated as usual before right before bedtime.  So I'm positive that she is not doing this out of necessity. 

AGGHH!!!  If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to hearing them.  Or, do I just resolve myself that this is one habit I'm not gonna break.  I am not objective to her sleeping without cushioning - I just wish she could enjoy the comfort. 

Cleary your dog doesn't mind sleeping in the crate without padding or a bed. That being the case, there is zero reason for you to keep pushing the issue here. You say that you want her to have a bed, but she doesn't care, and it is causing a bad habit you don't want, so forget the bed in the crate! Problem solved.

agreed.  my problem, not hers.  sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else :lol:

I had thought of putting her in the crate with a bed for a short time and extending her time in it daily and praising her for a dry bed;  but that just seemed like it would take a lot of time and effort for something not that important. 

thanks for your response.

14 hours ago, GentleLake said:

I wonder if something like a waterproof Primo pad might be a a compromise that would give you the padding you want for her without the absorbent substrate that seems t trigger her peeing on it?

Never heard of that, but I will look into it.  I never even thought that the saturation was the problem.  Also, sounds like a good option for the travel crate.  thank you. 

33 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

Any time you try to reuse anything that's been peed on it retains the odor (unless you use some really effective enzymatic cleaner) and is an invitation for a dog to reuse the spot.

oh....the blanket that I used had never been peed on or even used by a dog.  I did look at the Primo pad link and I am going to order one of those.  thank you!

She's probably started to associate the absorbent material of the blankets or beds as being a good place to pee. Dogs will usually prefer an absorbent substrate to one that isn't. It's why when dogs have accidents in the house they usually choose a rug or carpet over a wood, linoleum, tile or similar floor nearby.