BC Boards

What do you think my dog mix with

Tell us why you think she's part border collie ~ behavior can be a better indicator of bc in the mix than color. 

Just going by by fur color and body shape, she really does not look border collie-ish to me. Her legs are short,  her head is a little square and her muzzle is fairly wide. Not what you see in a border collie.

Where did you get her? Tell us more about her.

Ruth & Gibbs

I really don’t know nothing about border collie some guy told me she could be mix with it then we went to the vet they said she was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mix I could see that a little  because of her body shape and how she act I got her from West Virginia were I use to help other animals over there I was a trainer but I never trained border collie so I just wanted to ask and see if other people could see border collie in her what dog breed do you see in her if she not border collie to you 

2 minutes ago, Jay212 said:

I really don’t know nothing about border collie some guy told me she could be mix with it then we went to the vet they said she was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mix I could see that a little  because of her body shape and how she act I got her from West Virginia were I use to help other animals over there I was a trainer but I never trained border collie so I just wanted to ask and see if other people could see border collie in her what dog breed do you see in her if she not border collie to you 

Mixed breeds are notoriously difficult to ID, especially from only one photo that shows a dog from just one angle. The more mixed the dog (i.e. how many different breeds are in the mix) makes it even harder. I've seen a number of dogs that looked like they could be part border collie that DNA tests indicate little or none in their ancestry. I don't trust DNA breed results, but they're probably closer to being diagnostic than just looking at a dog.

From this picture, my first guess would be that this is a Lab mix.

Ruth's right - behavior is probably a better indicator than appearance alone.

I said she was pit and lab mix because she is Aggressive Toward people when they walk in my house I got her when she was one and she was very very Skinny and all I did  was Feed her dog food and she got that size Lol but she Strong for her size her but if you walk in my house she start to bark and maybe smell you people say when I let her out she would Snap at them from behind there let or just Nip at you but for some people she might like them so I really don’t know about her behavior

I don't think this dog has any border collie at all in the mix. Looks to me like a lab and pit mix. But don't make the mistake of thinking she is any certain breed because she is aggressive, as those traits are not breed specific at all. Labs tend to be mellow and friendly, although energetic. Pits tend to be big softies and the reputation for being aggressive is undeserved.

But if your dog is acting aggressive, you need to take steps to change that. If she ever bites anyone (r even scares them badly) you could find yourself in a world of trouble and your dog could lose her life. find a good trainer to help you work with this dog.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, D'Elle said:

...Labs tend to be mellow and friendly...

They do, but I've read that they're also the breed with the highest incidence of reported bites in the US. I don't mean to say that that makes it a trait of the breed. It's more likely that because of a reputation for being good family dogs that many end up in homes with people who aren't very dog savvy and are therefore not properly socialized or trained, or allow them to interact unsupervised with children who haven't been taught how to interact appropriately with dogs, etc. and they end up being put into situations they don't know how else to handle.

Again, looking at aggressiveness or tendency to bite just isn't a very good characteristic to gauge a dog's possible breed or mix.

I also see Lab in the dog pictured. The rest of the mix would be a complete stab in the dark for me.

There could well be more than 2 breeds in her mix, and one of them could be quite small. You could always do a DNA test. I know some people have gotten some pretty farfetched results, and some ppl who've tested on known mixes or even purebreds have gotten results that they know aren't accurate. But many people swear by them and I'm sure it's more scientific than the kind of guessing we're doing here. :lol:

It's a puzzle many of us with mixed breed dogs never really solve. I've had 3 mixed breed dogs over the years. Only one of them did I know the actual parentage of and he really didn't look quite like what anyone would've expected of it. The other 2 are/were guesses. I'm pretty confident my current mix has some sighthound pretty predominantly in her mix, but which one specifically? Anyone's guess. Ditto with what's pretty obviously a pastoral breed, but which one? From her appearance and behavior - and intelligence - I'm guessing saluki and either border collie or Sheltie. But I don't have the discretionary funds to pay for a DNA test I wouldn't quite trust unless it revealed something similar.

23 hours ago, GentleLake said:

They do, but I've read that they're also the breed with the highest incidence of reported bites in the US. I don't mean to say that that makes it a trait of the breed. It's more likely that because of a reputation for being good family dogs that many end up in homes with people who aren't dog very savvy and are therefore not properly socialized or trained, or allow them to interact unsupervised with children who haven't been taught how to interact appropriately with dogs, etc. and they end up being put into situations they don't know how else to handle.

This is of course true. Actually the worst dog bite I ever got was a lab. It was not the dog's fault; I was young and not dog savvy, although I arrogantly thought I was. Learned from that.

21 hours ago, Jay212 said:

I believe she a staffordshire bull terrier but she short and has a small head and sometimes when I look she look like a pit bull but she so short that I say nah she might be mix with something else but then she big for her height 

Not all pit-types are tall. The basic pit bull type of dog is one of the 2 most common breeds where I live (along with chihuahuas) and I have seen and met many of them who are no taller than you describe, especially females.