BC Boards

Update on heart murmur

D'Elle

Digger is now on a medication called Vetmedin, recommended by both my vet and the cardiologist. 

Fortunately, they are chewable tablets, so he just thinks he is getting a treat. :-) My vet said that, while of course there's never any knowing how it will go, she has had several dogs do well on this medication, even living for years.

So, crossing my fingers that I have more years with this scruffy and beloved little terrier. 

Hi,

I'm glad to hear Digger needs Vetmedin only.  Ziva the border collie, was diagnosed with a heart murmur when she was 7 years old.  The cardiologist did an echo and since there wasn't any heart chamber enlargement just recommended a recheck in a year.  A year later, there was some heart chamber enlargement and he recommended Vetmedin.  He quoted a study that said that dogs on Vetmedin will live an average of two years longer than ones that do not.  She was on just Vetmedin for over two years with no problems.  She routinely sees the cardiologist and has been fine.  February she had an episode of gagging and weakness.  She was x-rayed and has fluid around her heart.  Now she is in congestive heart failure.  Lasix was added along with Benazepril.  When we got to see the cardiologist he added spironalactone.  Her diet has also been changed (low sodium) and her exercise restricted.  So far she is doing well on the medications but sadly, I know this is the beginning of the end.  I'm praying to have her until she is 12 (with good quality of life.)  

ashlemm, thanks for this reply and info. However much more time we get with those we are bonded to, we will be glad to have. I want many years more with Diggs, but know that it will probably only be a few more, and I am grateful for what I get. I am so sorry to hear that yours is at the beginning of the end. I know, of course, all too well what that feels like. I had to let my beautiful female border collie, Kit, go a year and a half ago. It is heartening to hear from you about the study on Vetmedin. Thanks for that, and best of luck to you and to Ziva.