BC Boards

16 days into her season

sea4th

It's not one of my BC's but one of my mountain dogs, a 2 1/2 yr old bitch, 2nd season, 16th day, still bleeding. Juta's appetite is good, but she's not as active and today, when I came home from work, you could tell by her eyes she's not feeling well.

What could this be? She wasn't bred and I've never encountered this before---(most of my girls are spayed).

I'm concerned. We have a vet appointment for this on Monday. The vet didn't say anything about bringing in right away.

Someone out there must have encountered something similar in all the dog experience there is on this board.

Thank you.

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

It may just be a weird heat season, but it could also be a pyometria infection (infected uterus). I would check her temperature if you can, and see if you can move up that vet appointment, especially if she's not feeling well. Tomorrow is Sunday, so it may not be possible to get her to the vet but if she has a fever, I'd try to get her in there.

Hi Jaime,

I kinda thought that word, pyometria, would come up. I will be taking her temperature (she's a big girl to get into a butt lock). I thought though, that pyometria had a different kind of discharge and they REALLY looked & acted sick--or doesn't it follow set patterns?

V.

Hi,

Inci is right that it could very well be just a weird season, some dogs are that way. Pyo can have different discharges ranging from blood to pus. Some closed infections have no discharge at all. One of my dogs had a pyo and the only way I knew she was sick was that she dropped a bunch of weight all of the sudden, she had very little discharge at all. If she does have a pyo though, she is likely to have a temperature, and most likely will feel poorly.

My first breeding female, Scamper had such a cycle. She stood late and bled a long time. I bred her four times and each time she produced fewer and fewer pups. When she was spayed we found numerous adhesions on her uterus.

One vet told me that her long heat cycle might have contributed to her loss of fertility. He thought that having the vaginal tract open for such a long time allowed a lot of bad little critters to set up house keeping in the uterus. Scamper had a couple of sisters that I knew pretty well and both of them had similar issues along with uterine inertia that occured relatively early (after the first or second litter). I guess I think that this sort of heat cycle might indicate a predisposition to fertility problems of one kind or another. I know some other jack russell breeders who have seen the same and feel likewise.

Good Luck and I hope my experience has nothing to do with yours.

Juta's first season was normal. Our vet appointment is tomorrow. Juta was brought to the US with several other pups from different parts of Russia (Juta is from Siberia), to get some of the better bloodlines into this country, so I can't really do anything without my friend's permission.

I certainly don't plan on whelping mountain dog puppies, and if it's a condition that would adversely affect Juta, I'm sure my friend would just as soon have her spayed as well.

In the meantime, she is certainly ready, got my homliest BC male all picked out as her one and only & he is very flattered (what adolescent wouldn't be!), except there is a little logistics problem. She never stopped eating, just lies around a lot--& her temp is normal.

Ain't love grand. Wish us luck tomorrow.

Vicki

Went to vet, who asked if this breed was susceptible to Von Willebrands. I said no. She swabbed Juta, cells were normal, but did find a small infection. Juta is currently on antibiotics & if the bleeding doesn't stop within a week, then we go to another vet to have her scoped, to see if it could be a cyst or a polyp.

Someone with LGD's suggested the possibility of a split season, which I'd never heard before.

Someone else suggested having her thyroid checked---sending the blood sample to Jean Dodds.

That's where we're at. I'm still uneasy, but at least at this point it appears not life threatening.

Vicki