BC Boards

Jumping up?

So Tiga has decided his new thing is jumping up on people when he gets excited to see them. I'm not sure where he got this one, but it's totally unacceptable. I'm not really sure how to go about changing this behaviour. Any suggestions?

By the way, we tried the turning around during his walks when he starts pulling, and it worked like a charm! He's such a gentleman on our walks now! Thanks everyone!

Riven has a habit of doing that too when she gets excited. What we ask people to do (at the advice of our trainer) is to turn around. Turn their back to her. When she sits down, then turn around and praise, and love on her.

It worked great for her. Now if only I could train my best friend to turn around. It makes me so angry, she gives Riven attention when she jumps even though we've repeatedly told her not to.

We went over jumping up this week in puppy obedience at Riverdog. This will be a good test to see if I got it...

These are the "reactive queues"

Dog jumps up on you or into your space, you stand up and move forward saying "Keep Off" or "Off", when it backs away you reward (praise and or treat and or clicker) If they don't get down its a "no" and repeat.

Dog jumps up on someone else, you use slight return tug on the leash with "Keep Off" or "Off" . You ignore the person until you have the dogs attention and it is calm and under your control. Rivens right, if you know the person you can ask them to help you train her by saying "Keep Off" and moving in to her, or by simply turning away. Always with a praise for good behavior and a correctin and "No" for bad behavior.

(Talking to someone is a good time to walk through your dog to casually remind them of your status, gently shuffling them out of your way. It is also a good time to remind them to pay attention to you with the "right here" command or the "wait" command.)

While they are puppies at least we're told its good to help them succeed by luring with treats if needed.

The proactive "queue" is to train the dog with treat. Hold the treat about elbow level while standing saying softly "Keep Off" or "Off" and if they jump up pull your hand up over head and say "Aww, Too Bad" and move forward to back them down. REPEAT.

If they don't jump up initially, pull the treat up over your head and continue to say "Keep Off" as you lower the treat towards them. If at anytime they jump up you go to the last paragraph. When you get near the floor you can help a puppy if you see them heading for the treat by rushing to the floor with a quick OK.

Now if I could only get our household to remember this and practice it faithfully.

Just now Meg is in mid paper towel roll attack, frozen with it standing straight up between her paws "eyeing" the cat. Ah there hse goes in a stalk and its pounce. "Soft, soft, soft".

Thanks guys, I'll try some of those. The only problem with the turning around thing with him is that he will jump up on your back if he's excited, so I don't think that one will work, but I'm going to try the other one though. Thanks again!

I have the same problem with Maestro. I think he has a challenge to himself to see if he can reach the person's eyebrow. A clicker trainer advised me that EVERYONE must completely ignore the dog when it jumps, then praise / attention / reward when it's back on the ground in a mannerly fashion. Major problem at the dog park, since I'm not always beside Maestro when he's touching the top of someone's head. So now I go up to everyone at the dog park, asking them that if Maestro jumps, please turn away from him, walk away, or at least fold their arms & ignore him. Supposedly even 1 person giving attention will encourage the dog to jump, so I think this is going to be a long and involved process.

The trainer also said that jerking the leash, kneeing in the chest, or other punishment isn't effective, because it's still attention, and has the potential to create other issues in the dog's head.

I'd love to hear from anyone if that advice works! Or is it a matter of the dog just getting older?

I've totally given up on that one. People love Kessie so much, I can't get them to ignore her. If only she had better taste :rolleyes: . What she does have is good judgement, so she never jumps on people who don't like her. I wouldn't be surprised if other BCs could make that distinction too.

Anyway, good luck with convincing everyone that the poor neglected doggie actually DOES get cuddled at home every now and then, even if he doesn't admit it :D

Also just ignoring the dog works great - Dazzle doesn't jump up (unless we tell her to) with that training behind her.

Once fido gets down you praise, pet, feed, ect. If fido doesn't get down, reach down and jerk the collar so that fido sits - then praise.

There are different kind of jumpers. We just went over jumping in last week's ob class. For the ones who are searching for attention, turning your back on them will work. (It's what I do with Zeeke, he now sits when he wants attention.) For those who are being PUSHY shuffling into them works better - it puts them off-balance.

Also one thing the trainer said that really made sense to me (and she demonstrated it too) is to teach them to sit first. She lured the dog into a sit with a treat, marked and treated them. Did this multiple times. THEN when the dog jumped she did the shuffle/off/oops marker. The reasoning being, if the dog doesn't know what behavior you prefer, he's unlikely to offer it. But these dogs (very untrained, excitable labs), once being thrown off-kilter after jumping, decided to sit - since they figure, well, that seems to be something she likes. It worked pretty quickly.

Yep - agree with that, Lunar. Along with the turning the back and ignoring thing, it's very important to teach the dog the behavior you do want in that situation. Sit is good, although stand is OK in my book too - in some ways it's easier to have "4 on the floor" as a criterion for treat/attention. And it's easy to explain to others that the dog has to have "4 on the floor" in order to keep being petted - attention is removed if dog breaks that position. Lots and lots of practice, on lead.

Another thing to do is to teach "Hug" on command, for people that don't mind the dog standing up on them in appropriate circumstances. IMO this teaches the dog that, on cue, he can gently stand up and have a hug. My boy absolutely loves this - although he'll usually only respond to "Hug" with me.