BC Boards

Broken tibia

Maralynn

Just get one dog fixed and back to normal and another one breaks...

Its one of those things that Ive always known could happen but up until yesterday hadnt. Tess was out playing with me and my nieces, jumped up to grab something, came down wrong and screamed. I knew right away that something was majorly wrong.

Local vet recommended heading straight to the emergency vet because Saturday morning and likely surgery. Emergency vet gave her drugs, confirmed a displaced and a hairline fracture then sent us on to the state vet school as their ortho surgeon was out of town for several days.

So now my puppy girl is up there waiting for surgery on Monday. They told me that it should heal fine with surgery due to a variety of factors. But ugh, it was so hard leaving her there.

She was so incredibly calm despite the major pain. I mean, I know that part of it is shock and pain response to shut down but she never even thought about snapping and just wanted to sit in my lap.

I got the call this morning that I can pick her up tonight!

They fixed it with an interlocking nail system. It sounded interesting when I looked it up online - its supposed to allow for quicker weight bearing and healing so Im pretty interested to see the X-rays and hear more about it.

I have a whole list of questions to ask...

• 3 weeks later...

Update -

Puppies heal faster than adult dogs. For which I am very grateful because restrictions are tough!

We had her three week checkup yesterday. Up until this point shes been on short leash walks and crate rest restrictions. Healing looked great and we can start building back up to full activity. They told me that by her next (and hopefully final) appointment in 3-4 weeks she should be back to full activity. I explained what full activity was for her just to clarify that it was okay and got a yup! Apparently as long as its healing and stable then exercise is good. I started doing a bit more with her last night and her attitude was like you mean I can do stuff again?!?

Equally as good to see was how happy, relaxed and responsive she was during the appointment. I was a bit concerned as her last experience there was fairly traumatic. Im REALLY impressed by her happy resilience

Really glad to hear it all went well.

It is such a strain on one's heart when something like this happens - the concern about suffering, the worry about full recovery - so a happy ending is always good to hear.

Sending best wishes for continued strength and good health.

• 3 weeks later...

Final checkup yesterday. She was a trooper through the 3 hrs we spent there - there was a crazy backup with radiology.

Tess figured out how to charm everyone she met and had developed a bit of a fan club. Im kinda blown away by her attitude throughout everything and it was pretty sweet to see people coming to say hi to her who remembered her from other times we were there.

Best news? The bone healed well and she was released to do everything a normal 11 m/o Border Collie does :)

• 3 weeks later...