BC Boards

Really Mad!

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a bitch, but I'll try. I don't want someone else's dogs in my house unless they have their shots! It's been said, so they lie! They lie! I am to the point that Grace will be a loner dog. It all started when I read that I should socialize Grace, invite people and pets over to be introduced, sounded like fun even thou I don't really know many people I knew my husband had friends, friends with dogs, problem solved OHHH NO! Problem just began!!! I asked people to please only bring the dogs if they had their shots, so that just narrowed down the guest list to a choice one, ( no kidding ) the man said I will bring my pit bull and my chihuahua ( its not a chihuahua its a hot dog, dog mix ) I asked him to bring the papers where they had all their shots, he said he didn't have them, why not if you claim they have them I asked, I gave them their shots myself he proclaimed, I see ( liar ). Now I am with Grace outside when I see said liar pull up with pit bull and not chihuahua dog, I notice immediately that pit bull had a skin fungus of some kind so bad that its noticeable from a distance. I asked him to kindly leave dogs in the car, he said its not contagious, I said, leave the dogs in the car, he said blah blah blah, I said NO, and he left. My question is this....How do I gracefully ask for shot papers? What should I have done differently? How do I get Grace to be around other dogs without fear of the other animals having something?

The only sure fire way I can think of is to use a privately owned trainer (or somewhere not petsmart or petco that allows random dogs in the store) that only allows dogs who show proof of vaccination. Or ask around at work etc to see if anyone else has dogs that have been vaccinated. I don't think it's rude at all to be blunt about it, it takes a lot of work, courage, and vulnerability to take a little puppy into our lives and to have that taken Away because someone lied about their vaccination records isn't fair.

I agree with the above to bring her to a puppy class or asking coworkers. I wouldn't trust just anyone even if their dog has been vaccinated. Friends and family who have dogs would also be a good choice. Also, I think we would all love to see some more pictures of the cute pup!

Sign up for a puppy class where they require proof of vaccinations. Your pup really needs to be around other dogs and not isolated for her whole life.

Many people also vaccinate themselves, I am one of them. I don't see how he is a liar because he said he vaccinates himself. Either way, you are probably better off socializing her with other dogs in a controlled setting setting as a basic obedience class or puppy class or with people and their dogs that you actually know. Having never met his dogs, you had no way of knowing what their temperaments are like and whether or not they would even want to play with a puppy they never met.

Do you have any friendly neighbors or even some areas have active meet ups (meetup.com) for dogs. Our area has a very active meet ups for husky owners and another for daschund owners at local dog parks at weird hours when no one else is apt to be there. I think it is a neat idea to get together with other like minded, same breed-owning people.

A good puppy class, offered by a club or a veterinarian's office, is your best bet considering the circumstances. They will require proof of vaccination and will offer (hopefully) experienced supervision.

I am one who also does my own vaccinations (except rabies, of course) so a claim of self-vaccination is not necessarily a lie.

I also give my own shots except for rabies (required to be administered by a veterinarian; I used to give rabies myself before that became law), so it's kind of offensive to assume that anyone who says that must be a liar.

What's a "hot dog"? I thought it was food. Perhaps you mean a daschund?

I should have elaborated a bit more on why I called him a liar, my bad.... I asked him what the shots were he gave his dogs because I was suspicious, he said all the ones I had, i said which ones are those, I also made up a vaccination just to see if he would say he shot his dogs with that too..... He did!!!! A Napropam shot is a life saver I said, he said of course. That is where liar came into play, he also told me when I asked where he purchased these vaccinations he replied you can get them almost everywhere, Walmart? Yes. Case closed.

I have not looked for puppy classes, I think it's a great idea and I will look into it. Thank you for the feed back.

Hot dog was supposed to be a joke.

Well, that puts a different light on things.

You might want to see what your area offers in the way of any dog clubs like training clubs or what your vet might offer in the way of puppy or socialization groups. We have a local (well, next county over) club that is an AKC-affiliate (and I know that AKC is the evil empire and I agree, but this is a great bunch of people who do the puppy and family dog classes), and I would recommend them to anyone who has a pup. There is also a non-AKC-affiliated club/training group but I am not familiar with them (they work through the Parks and Recreation department) but have heard good things about them. Your area might also have some private folks who do socialization and/or classes, perhaps in conjunction with a vet's office (I know of one vet office in NC that does this because my daughter worked with them).

This club I took my youngsters to (and worked with for several years) requires proof of vaccination. They have experienced, trained volunteers to conduct and assist in classes. They keep current on training methods. They are oriented towards positive training methods but do not refuse to utilize appropriate corrections. They provide a lot of information, great classes, and excellent "homework" to do between classes.

Look for a group like this and you most likely will find a group that will help you out greatly.

You are a wealth of information and I appreciate it greatly. It never dawned on me to ask my vet about such things I don't know why other than the fact that I just assumed he fixed it if it was broke and that was as far as my thought process went concerning him, isn't that terrible. I live a good distance away from most everything, Grace is worth any amount of travel I might have to do and now that summer weather is right around the corner driving is not an issue.

I was going to second, third, or fourth the people who encouraged you not to doubt someone who says they give their own vaccinations. But, clearly the guy was lying. Chances are I wouldn't want my dog interacting with his anyway.

I will say, I might be a teeeeeency bit put off by someone "interviewing" me and my dogs. I definitely think you're right to be thinking of those things, but I myself would just rather search for classes than put my friends through the ringer.

But anyway, I was chatting with my agility instructor about puppy socialization/training classes for my mom's pup. Her take was interesting, and she's not the first that I've heard of with this take on things. She says her go-to socialization class is....dun dun dun.....a conformation handling class. I know, I know, I'll go put on my flame resistant suit. But she says she dislikes most "puppy kindergarten" classes for the reason that they turn into "Look at the other puppies!!! Let's play!!" classes. The conformation classes, instead, teach very basic skills around other dogs. They have to interact with other dogs, but it's with the goal of having dogs who are completely comfortable around large groups of people and dogs, but don't feel the need to play with every single one. I haven't done it myself, but I must say, the idea sounds pretty good to me. The ones in my area aren't AKC affiliated, so I wouldn't even have to give money to the monster!

I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and much of it will be a bit meaningless, but I think it sounds like a pretty good idea. I have always had much bigger issues with dogs who want to play with EVERYONE than ones who are reactive or aggressive. But your mileage may vary.

I get my dog's shots every three years. I am comfortable with that and my veterinarians are too.

That worked until I had to board the dogs overnite and they had to have current shots. So now they are all up to date on

everything.

Thst is one of the things I worry about at a dog park. How do you know the other dogs are safe, if they could be sick but not showing symptoms. Or if your dogs is wrestling around with a dog with skin disease or mange. Bothers me.

I was going to second, third, or fourth the people who encouraged you not to doubt someone who says they give their own vaccinations. But, clearly the guy was lying. Chances are I wouldn't want my dog interacting with his anyway.

I will say, I might be a teeeeeency bit put off by someone "interviewing" me and my dogs. I definitely think you're right to be thinking of those things, but I myself would just rather search for classes than put my friends through the ringer.

But anyway, I was chatting with my agility instructor about puppy socialization/training classes for my mom's pup. Her take was interesting, and she's not the first that I've heard of with this take on things. She says her go-to socialization class is....dun dun dun.....a conformation handling class. I know, I know, I'll go put on my flame resistant suit. But she says she dislikes most "puppy kindergarten" classes for the reason that they turn into "Look at the other puppies!!! Let's play!!" classes. The conformation classes, instead, teach very basic skills around other dogs. They have to interact with other dogs, but it's with the goal of having dogs who are completely comfortable around large groups of people and dogs, but don't feel the need to play with every single one. I haven't done it myself, but I must say, the idea sounds pretty good to me. The ones in my area aren't AKC affiliated, so I wouldn't even have to give money to the monster!

I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea, and much of it will be a bit meaningless, but I think it sounds like a pretty good idea. I have always had much bigger issues with dogs who want to play with EVERYONE than ones who are reactive or aggressive. But your mileage may vary.

I think the conformation classes sound perfect... My dog is excitement/frustration reactive BECAUSE he wants to play with every puppy/dog... Very frustrating! Really wish I had done it this way because it would have taught him you don't get to play with them all. Plus in this scenario you can always ask any of them if they want to do a play date outside of class.

With my dogs, I've done a double aproach... first, when pup has all vacs, I've tried to make sure pup meets one or two or three different dogs, at least, every day. They can just see each other, or sniff each other, or if they like each other, they get to play. I try to do this consistently for the first few months when pup thinks the world is sooo full of exciting things and other dogs are the most exciting thing off all. I think of it as banalizing other dogs, making them normal and common.

Then, at 5 or 6 or 8 mo, I begin working on, yes, we looove other dogs, but we don't have to go say hi to them all, we can ignore. And the dog learns that just because another dog is barking it's crazy head off at us, we don't need to even look at him.

Not a magical recipe and I'm sure it won't work for many dogs, but it has worked very well for me and my dogs.

About the risk of disease contagium, I worry about it when pup hasn't finished all it's vaccines, but afterwards, well, it's a bit like not letting a kid climb trees or play in the mud because he might fall and will undoubtly get dirty... there are some risks, there always are with everything, but that's not enough of a reason to stop enjoying life.

I get my dog's shots every three years....That worked until I had to board the dogs overnite and they had to have current shots. So now they are all up to date on everything.

Ummm. According to the AVMA and the AAHA your dogs are UTD on their core vaccinations if they've had them within the past 3 years. I won't even get into the fact the duration of immunity studies that shows they last longer than 3 years, only that the 2 main veterinary professional associations recommend boosters at 3 year intervals.

Perhaps they wanted something other than the core vaccines, such as kennel cough, that don't last as long?

This is one of the biggest reasons I have a pet sitter come to my home rather than boarding my dogs. I refuse to vaccinate unnecessarily because of someone else's ignorance.

Thst is one of the things I worry about at a dog park. How do you know the other dogs are safe, if they could be sick but not showing symptoms. Or if your dogs is wrestling around with a dog with skin disease or mange. Bothers me.

Last year a dog here in Austin -- a Border Collie puppy, actually -- was diagnosed with rabies. A few days after it had been at a very popular dog park playing with several other dogs and even children. It left me not very inclined to do the dog park thing!

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/dog-with-rabies-at-zilker-park-euthanized-at-least/nkKxM/

Just vaccinate your pup for rabies and she will be fine. Maybe things are different in Texas but my county had 1 dog test positive in the last 15 years. I am not a pro dog park person but avoiding them because of rabies is kind of extreme. ;)

Last year a dog here in Austin -- a Border Collie puppy, actually -- was diagnosed with rabies. A few days after it had been at a very popular dog park playing with several other dogs and even children. It left me not very inclined to do the dog park thing!

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/dog-with-rabies-at-zilker-park-euthanized-at-least/nkKxM/

I concur with the advice above re:

try to find a formal obedience/puppy/conformation class which requires proof of vaccination. And when you do identify a class(es), make sure to find out exactly how the class is run because the name of the class may not clearly indicate what is being taught. In my area, most puppy, obedience, agility and conformation classes prefer that the dogs do not interact. (For my older dog it was my mistaken belief that the puppy class I attended would include monitored interaction time, but this particular class did not.) The classmates are good for distraction training, but all dogs and handlers are expected not to interact with each other during class. When my youngest was a puppy, I found a training center that offered a class they termed 'Life Skills for Puppies' which included about 10 minutes of monitored interaction with the other pups in addition to sits, downs, beginning loose leash walking, etc. The interaction occurred ONLY if your pup wished to interact with another puppy. None of the pups were ever forced, or coerced, to approach another pup. When Kiefer started, he wanted nothing to do with any of the other pups, but by the time he 'aged out' of the class (5 months old), he was happy to approach try to play almost any pup.

for owners who vaccinate their own dogs: IIRC, many/all of the individual dose vaccinations one can buy at the local feed and grain store (or similar store) come with a sticker that you put in your dog's records, along with writing down the date. Makes it easy to keep track.

If the pup is vaccinated, why worry so much about the other dogs' vaccine status. If the pup isn't vaccinated, I don't care if the other dog is vaccinated or not, it could carry in diseases on it's feet, some of those diseases are endemic in the soil, so socializing with other dogs should wait. And if it isn't vaccinated, then all those puppy classes that require vaccines are out.

The poor pitty probably had skin allergies.

In fairness if the pup is too young to be vaccinated* there is a difference in risk between an unvaccinated dog and a vaccinated dog that might have diseases on its feet. Lots of diseases don't actually last that long out in the open/or and need close contact or transmission through air droplets to spread easily (parainfluenza and bordatella for example.)

*Cannot be vaccinated for some other reason, has only one shot in a vaccine that needs more than one to confer immunity etc.