BC Boards

American Airlines treatment of K9 passengers

Saw this on Facebook:

I was very disappointed to see my dog left on the tarmac at Dallas-Fort Worth airport for 50 minutes today while waiting to board our (on time) flight home. In my 20 years as a professional dog trainer flying all over the world I have never seen that happen. I received a lovely phone call one of the American Airline representatives when I got home to let me know that yes what I witnessed was AA's "normal procedure" if the weather is less than 80F and over 50F that all luggage and pets can sit on the tarmac for up to 50 minutes prior to a flight.

Sad to see golf clubs and family pets are grouped together where AA is concerned. How terrifying for any dog to have to be trapped in an area where it is so noisy all workers are wearing ear protection, breathing in diesel fumes, subject to the sights and sounds of the coming and going traffic on the tarmac. Not at all optimal humane conditions for an animal and certainly not the norm for any other airline I have traveled with.

I would be happy to contribute to a proactive pet-travel protocol that considers both the physical and mental needs of the air-travelling family pets if anyone at AA would be interested.

For now I will inform my 20,740 pet owning Facebook followers of the phone message I received from AA today informing me that all pets and golf clubs treated equally where AA is concerned . . . letting them take this into consideration as I know I will when I book my next flight.

Susan Garrett
Say Yes Dog Training

I've read a bunch of horror stories about flying with dogs in cargo. Makes me wish Kieran was a little smaller so I could take him in cabin :/. Thankfully, we haven't had to fly yet. I don't understand what little value they place on pets, but I guess to them it's all about the money.

Not for nothing, but the FB post referenced actually is from about 2 years ago. Anyway, I think that there are ways to address concerns around how your pets are handled that are more constructive. I agreed with her points right up to:

For now I will inform my 20,740 pet owning Facebook followers of the phone message I received from AA today informing me that all pets and golf clubs treated equally where AA is concerned . . . letting them take this into consideration as I know I will when I book my next flight.

I flew my dog 6 times last year. Every time, I thanked the airline check-in agents for taking the time to fill out all the extra paperwork involved in flying a dog. Yes, they charge for the kennel, but it's no more than they charge for flying an oversize piece of luggage, and it's a whole lot more involved. I thanked the baggage handlers who transported my dogs to the staging area, the flight attendants who made sure my dogs were on board, and when my trip was completed, I made sure to send a tweet thanking the airline, usually accompanied by a pic of my dog and one of the airline personnel. It seems that a negative experience shared on social media spreads like wildfire, while the 99+% of uneventful positive experiences go unacknowledged.

I, for one, am glad that some airlines do transport pets, and do so with great care and compassion. I fear that, in these days of cost-cutting, airlines may decide it's not worth it, especially given the social media backlash. Believe me, if it were all about the money, I guarantee you, not one airline would agree to fly pets in cargo.

Not for nothing, but the FB post referenced actually is from about 2 years ago. Anyway, I think that there are ways to address concerns around how your pets are handled that are more constructive. I agreed with her points right up to:

I flew my dog 6 times last year. Every time, I thanked the airline check-in agents for taking the time to fill out all the extra paperwork involved in flying a dog. Yes, they charge for the kennel, but it's no more than they charge for flying an oversize piece of luggage, and it's a whole lot more involved. I thanked the baggage handlers who transported my dogs to the staging area, the flight attendants who made sure my dogs were on board, and when my trip was completed, I made sure to send a tweet thanking the airline, usually accompanied by a pic of my dog and one of the airline personnel. It seems that a negative experience shared on social media spreads like wildfire, while the 99+% of uneventful positive experiences go unacknowledged.

I, for one, am glad that some airlines do transport pets, and do so with great care and compassion. I fear that, in these days of cost-cutting, airlines may decide it's not worth it, especially given the social media backlash. Believe me, if it were all about the money, I guarantee you, not one airline would agree to fly pets in cargo.

A post from 2 years ago? The post showed up on my FB page because a friend had put it on her page. I wish FB would keep the original post date on all posts.

As you say, 'some' airlines transport pets with care and compassion. I, for one, like to know which airlines those are and which airlines to avoid.

These days, airlines are doing pretty good as they have instituted many revenue-generating charges for services that were offered free with your ticket. I am surprised that they haven't dramatically increased the charge for flying dogs in cargo, but perhaps, in the overall picture, the good will that is garnered by flying pets may outweigh the additional costs.

If this were Facebook, I'd LIKE your post, Kristi. I've heard good reports about Alaska, and it's the airline that flies non-stops from San Diego to Portland, Oregon, and Boise, Idaho, which are the two locations I'm considering flying a dog to. Sue has had good experiences with them on two trips out here from the east.

Any comments from others who've had direct experience with Alaska?

As you say, 'some' airlines transport pets with care and compassion. I, for one, like to know which airlines those are and which airlines to avoid.

But how will you know which airlines are good? I flew American a few times, and they were very nice to my dog, they loaded him in a timely manner, but not too early, and notified me immediately when he was on board. I did announce that to my 500 followers on FB, but I suspect it is a lot less interesting than SG's post.

My preference is to fly Alaska in the United States, and West Jet in Canada. Sometimes, though, that is not possible, and other airlines have been used with very good results.

I think there was a website that had a list of which airlines have had what number of deaths, injuries, etc. up to the end of last year. I can try to find it.

I may just be a skeptical person, but I doubt airlines offer these services out of any magnanimity. There's a demand for them, so they're going to want to try to accommodate that demand. But yes, people are more likely to share extremely negative experiences. I don't think those people are wrong in doing that though. In some instances, the animals were neglected and that's not something people should have to go through, even if it's a small percentage. Also, it could also be the way the airlines responded that made people upset.

There are probably cases where the pet was unfit to travel as well.

ETA: found this link, http://www.thirdamendment.com/animals.html. I didn't really read through it (dog stepped in poop, so rinsing him off -__-), but it has numbers from 2005 - 2014. Not a ton of cases.

I recently had my new pup shipped from Maryland to Nevada by United's Pet Safe program. It went very smoothly.

They have dedicated carriers who deliver the dog from the terminal to the plane, and when the fight reaches its destination, the dog is transported straight from the plane to the cargo terminal. No sitting around with the suitcases and golf clubs, no cringing in a crate while 747s roar overhead. This was right at the tail end of a cold snap back east, too.

~ Gloria

I was very impressed by the ground staff in Atlanta of Uniteds Pet Safe program, we were not flying United but BA took over 2 hours to check Rievaulx in. During that time 2 of Uniteds staff were chatting with a Union rep and he was asking why they had irregular hours and they both became rather indignant and said they could not leave until the animals had arrived and been safely handed to their owners how ever delayed their flight was. This was Sunday of memorial weekend and the cargo area was dead.

With BA the ground staff came onboard to tell us he was safely onboard and they explained the waiting time and process, because he went as cargo he was handled separately and at Heathrow he was wisked to the animal center.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences - both good and 'not so good' - with different airlines. Also, identifying the particular airline may be very helpful to future travelers become educated and informed in their decision as to which airline to use (if they have a choice). Some of us (me) live in an area of limited airline service. If I discover that my dog would be flying on an airline with a poor reputation of transporting dogs in the cargo, I would probably drive the extra 2-3 hours to get to a major hub where my choice of carriers is much more expanded.

I flew American a few times, and they were very nice to my dog, they loaded him in a timely manner, but not too early, and notified me immediately when he was on board. I did announce that to my 500 followers on FB, but I suspect it is a lot less interesting than SG's post.

Not necessarily. I appreciate good reviews as much as poor reviews. See post above.

I had Keeper shipped to me through United. I had a great experience, for the most part. When he finally did get to fly they were great about giving text updates (he had a connection flight unfortunately) and kept him in the cargo hold at the airport rather than transporting him to the main building during the heat of May. I did have to get a very early flight, he came from Oklahoma which can have very prohibitive temperatures. His poor breeder had to get to the airport at 4 AM! But he didn't appear to be the least bit stressed, and everyone loved him.

The only hiccup we had was that he was denied his first flight out because a person before his breeder had checked some dry ice. I couldn't decide if I was happy that they cared for his safety, or frustrated that they wouldn't allow him to be checked early. Who needs to check dry ice anyway??

I don't know how I'll ever fly with Callie if it's necessary. I am nervous about leaving her with very close friends for a week in March while we go on vacation and I know that she'll be just as well taken care of and loved at their house as their own dog is. I can't imagine watching my fur-baby being treated like luggage.

I had shipped Tess to Canada and one of her stops was in Vancouver, BC. I got a call from them to let me know she had arrived and the next leg was going to be a few minutes late. And could she take her for a walk since she had dogs. She took her for a walk and called me to let me know she went potty, charmed the ground crew, got treats and was on her way. Apparently she was a big hit and when she came back they called me again to ask if they could walk her. I told them how to get Tess to do her dog tricks and they loved her. I got a post note signed by the crew for thanks to let them spoil her. It was a Canadian airlines .