D'Elle Posted March 6, 2005 Report Share Posted March 6, 2005 Well, my agility trainer has me and Jes both a bit confused, and we could use some advice. I taught Jes "touch", so he will bonk his nose on things, and he knows that and will do it 90% of the time (sometimes I have to ask him twice, that's the other 10%). Then I transferred it to touching a target plate on the A-frame or teeter or dogwalk contact zone. I asked my teacher weeks ago if I should change the command to "bottom" or something so that there was a distinction between bonking my hand or a spot on the wall, and stopping in the contact zone. She said I didn't need to change the command. We practice at home on the steps to the house; he has to stop at the bottom of the steps, 2-on and 2-0ff. However, when the target plate was removed from the obstacles in class, Jes took that to mean there was no longer any need to "touch" or bonk anything with his nose. I say "touch" as he is coming over the obstacle, and he stops in the contact zone. He does this nicely, but last class the teacher asked me why he was not touching the bottom of the obstacle with his nose when I said "touch". I told her it was because, to Jes, there's nothing to touch since there's no target plate. I would have to point at a spot at the bottom of the obstacle and tell him "touch" right there, and of course then I would always have to be right next to the obstacle to do that, which isn't good. But he stops, which I thought is the main thing. She says now that I should change the command, and make it "bottom" or something to distinguish between touching my hand or the wall and stopping on the target zone. BUT she also says I need to get him to put his head down and touch the bottom of the obstacle. I am confused as to what to do, and so now I am confusing Jester as well, and until I get my own mind straightened out about what is best to do I don't want to work him on this at home. Someone with more experience, please offer advice on this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.