BC Boards

Safe Toys for Chewing

Bandit is not happy with the selection of toys I leave in his crate each day for chewing. I come home to find them untouched, but he is starting to want to chew inappropriate things when I am home and he is loose, so I know he wants to chew.

I'm looking for ideas for things I can leave with him while I'm at work.

He has a Kong and isn't terribly interested in it. He hasn't even really warmed up to the idea of a stuffed Kong, which is strange to me (every other dog I've owned has loved stuffed Kongs!). He will lick out a little and then leave it.

Ideas are welcome!

What inappropriate things is Bandit starting to chew?

With my pup,I've tried to select toys with textures that are similar to things she wants to chew.. And now have a selection of old shoes etc that she seems to have reasonably quickly learnt are hers - no doubt by the smell of dog slobber.

He likes things he can rip apart. He chewed the end of a blanket, half a cable tie, a pen (this is why he will not be left home while I am at competitions anymore, BTW).

I think that's why he doesn't care for the toys I've given him. He can chaw on them, but they are too strong for him to dismantle.

Of course I can't leave him anything he can dismantle while I'm gone!!

I'll have to think about the texture thing.

Yes.. They do seem to like the Sensation that comes with ripping or crunching.. For when my pup's on her own, I!ve dismantled some old boots enough so that it's mainly just the solid soles left. I think these are pretty indestructible....

She only gets less robust stuff ( like thick plastic water pipes, or cardboard boxes) when I'm around. This way I can monitor the level of destruction and exchange for a fresh bit of pipe/ box when the end starts to get ragged.

It also means the shoe soles are still interesting for her when I'm out

Penny's favourites are deer antlers or nylabone-style bones, and her Kong only when there is something yummy in it.

She chews antlers or nylabones quite happily when I'm home, but I have noticed when I put one in her crate at times I'm going to be out longer than usual she doesn't seem to touch it either. She seems to prefer to just relax in her crate.

We did recently buy one of the split deer antlers for her to try and she LOVED it. It only lasted maybe two months of chewing, compared to her other antler which is still going strong after over a year of chewing. I didn't want to leave the split one with her in the crate unsupervised just in case she was able to get a bigger piece of marrow off. It might be something Bandit enjoys chewing when you're home and will help keep him satisfied.

Molly's favorite chew toy is this fake stick thing made with real wood - like a wood flavored nylabone, basically.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/petstages-durable-stick-dog-chew-toy/dp/46954?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Petstages&utm_term=&gclid=CPO7tr__6MECFbHm7AodFnAAkQ

but Molly's favorite thing to chew on is wood.

Juno doesn't have a lot of toys because she eats everything. Rawhides, an antler, and wood outside would be her main chews, and of course, my watch which she has been after since we got her ten months ago. Recently, we got a new antler from a hunter that was large and complete. I cut the sharp ends off and gave it to her. She chews on it constantly, more than the smaller store bought antler, and she plays with it all the time. Because it is large she can hold it in her paws. I have been really thankful of this big antler because it has allowed me to reduce the number of rawhides I've been giving her.

Last winter, her favourite toy outside was a 6 foot extendable drain pipe in green plastic. I joined the ends together with rivets so it was like a huge donut. She would roll it down the yard. throw it up in the air, growl at it and play with it constantly. Eventually, she chewed it so much I had to get rid of it because it became dangerous with the sharp edges. She also had a plastic shovel with a wooden handle that she loved to push around the garden. Sometimes when she got the handle just right it looked like she was shovelling the snow off the deck. Same thing though, she just chewed it until it was dangerous.

Bill

How about more to chew when you are home? My favorite is raw bones but I don't leave them with the dogs when no one's around.

That may be what I will need to do.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!!