BC Boards

ABCA-sponsored BAER testing at the National Sheepdog Finals

amc

Thanks to a generous subsidy by ABCA, we are able to offer FREE BAER (Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response) hearing tests to ABCA-registered Border Collies at the National Sheepdog Finals in Carbondale, Colorado. The clinic will be EITHER Wednesday-Thursday Sept 10-11, or Thursday-Friday Sept 11-12. We will publish the exact dates as soon as we confirm the veterinarian’s availability. The test is painless and takes less than 15 minutes to perform.

There are about 56 spots available over the two days of testing. Dogs will be prioritized as follows:

1. ABCA-registered dogs of breeding age (2-8 years) from lines having produced deafness, or in whom problems are suspected.

2. ABCA-registered dogs of breeding age (2-8 years) with no known problems or genetic history of deafness.

3. ABCA-registered dogs outside the above-listed age criteria.

4. Non-ABCA registered dogs, at a cost of $50 per test.

ABCA Director Elizabeth Baker will be coordinating the clinic on-site. We ask that owners bring a copy of ABCA registration to prove eligibility for the free testing. We would hope that owners who discover deafness in their ABCA-registered dog would voluntarily disclose the pedigree data to the ABCA Health & Genetics Committee. The Committee would like to be able to offer breeding advice for dogs with hereditary deafness, and the only way to date that we are able to identify genetic links is through hearing testing and pedigree research. All results are confidential unless disclosed by the owner. We will have printed information about hereditary and acquired deafness in Border Collies, and the current state of the ongoing DNA research on Early Onset Deafness.

Please contact me if you have dogs you would like to have tested. I will keep a list and prioritize it according to the guidelines above, so please also tell me the dog(s) age, if problems are suspected or not, and whether you’re competing at the Finals. We’ll publish a final schedule once the running order is drawn and we know which days the clinic will be.

You can reach me directly at acoapman at gmail dot com.

Amy

We would hope that owners who discover deafness in their ABCA-registered dog would voluntarily disclose the pedigree data to the ABCA Health & Genetics Committee.

Who would we contact with this information?

Liz,

More detailed instructions will be posted here soon.

Just to be abundantly clear.this offer of a BAER test at no charge at the USBCHA Finals is a great benefit for ABCA members and those interested should sign up ASAP. Even if you know your dog has perfect hearing, it is an opportunity to test your dog and establish a base line. Many of us do not have access to this test and have to drive 4, 5, 8 hrs each way to the "city" to get this test for our dogs.

Elizabeth Baker

The H&G committee would like to confidentially collect BAER and pedigree information on dogs from affected lines, affected dogs, and dogs from lines with no known EOD. This information will be used by the committee (NOT DISCLOSED) to establish and refine guidance we can provide to breeders and to identify key dogs for future EOD genetic testing.

By the Finals the committee will have established a process by which owners can provide this confidential information to the committee.

I would like to thank Amy and Elizabeth for taking the lead on setting up the clinic and kick starting this effort. Please be sure to thank them yourself.

Mark

Is ABCA also interested in pedigree/BAER test results from animals not being tested at Finals for this study? Our Megan was Baer-tested at about age 3 ("normal") and then at about age 7-8 ("deaf"). While she is not registered, I do have a copy of her littermate's registration papers which give the pedigree of the litter she was born in. I'd be happy to send on any information I have if it would be acceptable.

Hi Sue,

Yes, we'd love to have info on affected dogs. We are in the process of developing a short questionnaire (as Mark alluded to) that you can fill out and submit to the H&G Committee with pedigree info. Thank you for your willingness to participate!

Amy

Thanks, Amy!

Megan was tested by Theresa Chu the first time as part of a study that gathered data on (I think) multiple dog breeds. After I was certain she was losing hearing starting at about age 5 and deaf by about age 7, I had the opportunity to have her tested again.

She may be deaf but she's still the princess of our home and farm.

Many thanks should be given to the local CO committee. The original idea and impetus for a BAER and health clinic at the Finals came from Melinda Brenimer and Bridget Strang. Amy and I lent our support, as did the ABCA with its generous sponsorship, to see it happen.