BC Boards

Had to LOL at hubby last night

Hubby has been having a rough time at work lately and it's effecting his quality of life. I can tell he's mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. He comes home from work and basically goes into "shut down" mode. Last night he talked to me about it, so I mentioned that I had walked Jack in the morning and how much better I felt during the day.

We decided to walk the dogs after dinner that night, with him agreeing to take Jack and I would take Orion. Now, Orion is an absolute nightmare on the leash. It's 100% our fault that he's that way. We've gotten lazy with him, since he's such a great house dog and nothing like a big HUGE reminder of our mistake! We will be working on this issue...however I this isn't the point of this thread.

Jack on the other hand is the complete opposite. He's an absolute dream to walk on the leash. He rarely pulls and if it starts a simple pull back or a sudden change in direction and the pulling stops.

DH and Jack were in front with DH loosely holding onto the leash and Jack just trotting alonside, little ears just bouncing up and down. I could tell both were enjoying the walk when hubby turns around and looks at me and says "maybe we should just get border collies from now on out" Made me seriously laugh out loud.

Thought you folks might get a kick out of that. The die hard lab guy thinking about BCs from now on out!

Maybe he has gone over to "the dark side". :D

Not sure if you have heard that expression before, but for me, I have heard it used a lot in agility and obedience. Because border collies are usually so good at performance sports, owners who have other breeds will jest at people who get a BC for performance as having "gone over to the dark side".

At one time (~15 years ago), DH believed all the hype about how hard it was to live with BCs. And since I didn't know enough then to put up a rational argument, I let him influence me when we were looking for our next dog through the local rescue groups. We got a sweet dog 9probably Sheltie mix), but she has had her own set of problems. 10 years later, I finally did get a purebred BC, and now DH does see what great dogs they are. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I have worked very hard to train him well, and I am always passing on any positive stories or anecdotes I come across on the internet.

Yes, hubby did feel better after the walk but he said he was exhausted listening to me fight with Orion! It became comical after a while, him trying to pee on everything and me trying to keep him from peeing on everything. He started approaching things on three legs....with one in the lift position ready to go.

Years ago we participated in Skyhoundz with our first two labs, so we got to see quite a few BCs and Australians. We talked back then about getting one of those breeds but decided we weren't really ready for that. A few years later and a couple of labs later, I guess hubby thought we were ready. :)

We did talk about it later that night and I reminded him of how fortunate we've been with Jack. A rescue BC who wasn't completely shut down, aggressive/reactive, extremely fearful and takes to training fairly easy. After reading through several threads here about rescue BCs, our problems with Jack are pretty small. Now, I won't be completely surprised if something pops up after he becomes more and more comfortable but we'll cross that bridge if we have to.

Oh, and we haven't gone "to the darkside" just yet! I don't see us not having a lab in our home. There's just nothing like the love of a lab. However, that doesn't mean there won't be a border collie too. :D

Yes, hubby did feel better after the walk but he said he was exhausted listening to me fight with Orion! It became comical after a while, him trying to pee on everything and me trying to keep him from peeing on everything. He started approaching things on three legs....with one in the lift position ready to go.

That's an amazing thing to visualize, lol!!! :lol:

We did talk about it later that night and I reminded him of how fortunate we've been with Jack. A rescue BC who wasn't completely shut down, aggressive/reactive, extremely fearful and takes to training fairly easy. After reading through several threads here about rescue BCs, our problems with Jack are pretty small. Now, I won't be completely surprised if something pops up after he becomes more and more comfortable but we'll cross that bridge if we have to.

I think adopting a dog through rescue is one of the most reliable ways to get a good, predictable dog. They have normally lived in a foster home long enough that the foster can determine quirks or behavioral issues as well as get a feel for the dog's overall temperament. It's such a huge advantage because they can make sure you know exactly what you are getting into with a specific dog. Sure, he might show a slightly different personality as he settles in and gets comfortable... but I'm not sure I've ever met a dog without a quirk or two. ;)

Also, try not to judge rescue BC's too broadly by what you read on these boards. Try to keep in mind many people who are experiencing a problem or issue with their rescue BC come here desperate for help. On the flip side I imagine there are loads of people out there living happily with their rescue BCs and they just have no need to reach out to a community like this one. I think as a result these forums have an imbalance of "looking for help" posts as opposed to "my dog is awesome" posts.

But I really liked your "my dog is awesome" post today telling us about your walk with Orion, Jack and your husband. I love reading the posts where people feel proud of (and get to brag about) their dogs! ^_^

We did talk about it later that night and I reminded him of how fortunate we've been with Jack. A rescue BC who wasn't completely shut down, aggressive/reactive, extremely fearful and takes to training fairly easy. After reading through several threads here about rescue BCs, our problems with Jack are pretty small.

There are a lot of great rescue border collies who don't come with a lot of issues. You just don't hear about most of them here because, well, people aren't having problems with them. ;)

Bodhi is a case in point. I adopted him a month after he was picked up as a shut down, emaciated stray who was transferred to a rescue. 6 months later he was working as a therapy dog. No real issues there. ;O)

We've not judged him by what I've read here. Mostly I was looking for more information about BCs. After doing several rescues, we've learned not to paint any dog with a broad brush. (our biting lab taught us that lesson) Plus, we've done enough disc dog in the past to have seen several happy, adjusted BCs. I'm just happy this resource was available and people have been more than willing to share their experiences.

Had to chuckle about being on the dark side already. People at my work didn't blink an eye when I told them we had rescued a BC. Almost all of them are dogs owners, know that we don't have children and know we treat our dogs like fur babies. Most of my wallpaper pictures have been of our dogs. The reaction my husband got at his job was different. He said people looked at him like he had sprouted two heads when he told them. A couple even said a lab and a border collie are you crazy?

We both can see the appeal of the breed. Jack is still pretty serious but every now and then he does some silly thing which just cracks us up. The noises he makes when he stretches out is unlike any dog sound I've ever heard. Makes us both just laugh every time. And those front paws... they're huge! Orion is 75 pounds, Jack is 50 pounds and Jack's front paws are bigger!

We're looking forward to see where this journey takes us. Knowing you took someone's "trash" and turned them into your treasure. There's no feeling like it in the world.

Glad the walk helped your husband. Dogs make our lives so much more fulfilling and I think a kiss from a dog and a hug can make a world of difference in our attitudes.

I agree that this site is extremely helpful. We have a bc/mix rescue that has been a dream some days and total exasperation some days LOL...We have had many dogs before but I can say a BC is definitely different than any other dog we have had. They do not react to the sound NO like other dogs. I have learned a lot and still learning every day.