BC Boards

house training

We have gotten our puppy paper trained...but now we need to get her to pee outside! Many people I know with dogs have used negative reinforcement (sticking their dogs nose in the poo) but I know only positive reinforcement is needed for a BC.

Now my dog has only poo'd outside 3 times in her life even though we play outside for several hours every day. What are ways I can get her to poo outside so that I may reward her with a treat?

I am not a crate trainer (This might be an American thing?)...

I supervise the puppy everytime it is indoors, and give it plenty of opportunities to poo outside. My dogs sleep inside, so I make them sleep inside the bedroom (with the doors closed). The aim is to catch the puppy in the act and make him go (in a posive and happy way, with treats) outdoors to relieve himself...

Puppies hate to poo in the area where they sleep. NEVER let a puppy roam around the house unsupervised!

laceyjess -

Do a search for "crate training" and "potty training" and you will find numerous discussions on how to potty train your pup.

Crate training will make your life much easier. Not only for potty time, but for fireworks, thunder, transportation, etc.

Denise

I have had issues with crate training. Twobit has never had issues with lighting, and we have a special seat belt for travel. We never have been on a plane which would to me, be the only reason fro a crate...

So with that in mind, are there any other reasons to recommend crate training? Also, how will this help to get her to pee outside?

I am very interested in doing the best for her so please don't think I am pestering

Well...I don't know what issues you have had with crate training, but when done correctly the dog will use the crate as its den. A safe place to be, to sleep, to eat. Its home so to speak. Say you have a party or some guests over. Maybe it's too loud for the dog, too much, kids pulling on it all day...then it can go into the crate. That is what my pup does when she is concerned.

You will not know what will or will not stress you dog. Our pup never cared about the hammer until one day - she just didn't like it. So instead of "ooohhh...poor little thing" (which only adds to her anxiety) she goes into her crate and is quiet. She does this on her own - the door is left open and she in content.

the crate is also perfect of periods of time when you will not be home. Our pup, if left on her own to wander the house when we leave - will go into her crate and stay there. On her own. This is because she's been trained to stay in the crate when we are not home.

This way, she doesn't have seperation anxiety, she doesn't chew, or use the house as her bathroom.

There are numerous reasons to crate train. And I think the best one is why you posted - to make potty training easier.

If a crate will train the dog to go outside plus has numerous other benefits that you may not understand until you need them - don't you think it's worth trying? Heck, I did. and my husband thanks me almost daily for crate training our dogs.

Denise

I have had issues with crate training. Twobit has never had issues with lighting, and we have a special seat belt for travel. We never have been on a plane which would to me, be the only reason fro a crate...

So with that in mind, are there any other reasons to recommend crate training?

Stays at the vet: our BC Blaze was in the intensive care unit at MSU for 6 days; at least he didn't have to learn to be crated during that time.

Barb S

Crate training was the best thing we did to train Piper, never once did she ever have an accident in the house...also for all the reasons that Denise wrote above too. We never had to puppy paper trained (actually have never heard of that anyways...).

The crate is "her" room now, it is her space to go into when she wants too (she's 2 1/2). The door is off of it and I love the idea of her having of her own space. A lot of time when we come home from work that is where she has been sleeping. Also when we travel we always bring her crate, and when people watch her for us when we can't bring her with her, we bring her crate to their house. I think it helps her when she is away from us because there is still a sense of home for her..."hey, that's my bed."

Another fan of crate training here ? it?s just as useful in Oz, Doug. :rolleyes: My guys only use the crate in the car now, but they?re still quite happy to go into a crate (any old crate) if the need arises. Certainly means you?ve always got that option to use without extra stress.

On the pooping outside question, a couple of thoughts. You can try moving paper outside to where you would like her to go, and throw a huge party if she poops on it there. The other thing ? can you spot a poop-schedule in the pup ? i.e. are there times she regularly poops? If so, make sure you take her outside at those times ? wait and again, throw a party to celebrate success. Indoors, if you really don?t want to crate ? try umbilical cord, so you can spot the signs, and then go outside for the action.

Thanks Tassie for the advice

Yesterday she peed outside for the first time and we "threw a party"

I think she is also getting the idea that she should not pee or poo inside...I also follow her when I see her go into the kitchen (her pee zone) and she notices me.

As a pet trainer I never recommend starting with paper training. This only helps to let the dog think it is ok to go potty inside. They don't seperate peeing on paper IN your house and peeing outside. However since your pup has already been paper trained... you should always take her outside on a leash to potty. Always right after eating, waking from a nap and/or playing . If you walk her outside for 5-10 min. and she dosen't pee, bring her back in.. watch her and take her back out in another few minutes, they will usually go the second time around. Puppies like children get distracted when outside and forget why you took them out in the first place. Always take a treat with you and like everyone says get real excited, and give the treat AS SOON as she finishes peeing/or pooping. You can also take any poop she does inside or in a part of the yard and put it in the area you would like her to use for her "bathroom",(also like someone mentioned take any paper she pees on outside ) lead her over there and say...go potty, or go pee pee or what ever you want to say. Stick with a phrase and she will soon catch on to the words, treat and Mommy getting excited as a really good thing.

By taking her out on a leash you KNOW, whether she did her business or not. When you let a pup out and she roams around then scratches or barks to come in, we often assume they did their business,so we let them in and within a few min... bam their they go on your floor! instead of you praising ,getting excited and handing her a treat you now have to rush to get her outside while trying not to be visibly upset. If your pup is food motivated and likes treats this should work pretty quick if you stick to it , especially for a BC. Hope this helps... Joe Anne