BC Boards

Keeping my BC busy while at work-all day

I have a two year old BC who has been on a rampage for the past two weeks. In the past, he would occassionally get into trouble while I was away at work. The past two weeks it has become an everyday thing. Our routine hasn't changed. Does anyone have a suggestion on things I can do around the house to help him be more entertained while I am gone?

A puppy on a mission..to destroy.

I make different treats to put in the large Kongs and them I freeze them. It gives the dogs something to do while I am gone. I also make sure I give them some exercise before I leave for work. Some days it's just a good 20 minutes of rough housing, or a few miles of running, or some obedience work.

For the most part my dogs are all crated while I am at work. Occasionally I'll now leave my female loose in one room, if I know I'll be home early, but I feel safer with them crated during the day. When I get home we rough house, do agility or obedience, or go for a nice walk in the woods.

A friend of mine baby gates her dog in one room that has been dog proofed and she has toys hanging from breakaway snaps in the ceiling. The dog has to work pretty hard to reach the toys and pull them down. Once he gets them he can play with them or gets to eat the treats inside them.

Just a few ideas

Cin

I have found the Kong thing to work best when we have to leave ours for more than a few hours. They also have a plastic tub of toys that only comes out when we leave.

I crate Rob when he gets that devil look in his eyes and I know he is going to rip something up. Came home one day and found the BBQ pulled out to the middle of the yard with the hose wrapped around it. It must have been fun because he led me outside with that big "Looky wot I did" grin on his face!

<>

Cheri,

Your Rob sounds like my Fionn. He has pulled the curtains down before and been caught playing tug-of-war with them. The other "criminal" dropped the curtain as soon as I walked in the room. Fionn proudly trotted over to me with it in his mouth and offered it to play with me. For some reason he favors curtains as a toy.

Silly Border Collies!

Cin

Cin:

I don't have to tell you or anyone else here how smart these guys can be! Most days Rob is the perfect angle. But there are just times when he gets "THAT" look, doesn't happen as often now a days. But just this week he took my daughter's room apart. I could just tell that morning that he was in one of his moods. Should have crated him but I wasn't planning to be gone very long.

They both love when I hide special treats or toys in the yard and in the house. They can tell something is waiting because I will put them in the bedroom until I hide things. (It's a favorite game on rainy days too.) I let them out and say "Find it" away they go and could care less if I am there or not.

Originally posted by puppydog:

I have a two year old BC who has been on a rampage for the past two weeks. In the past, he would occassionally get into trouble while I was away at work. The past two weeks it has become an everyday thing. Our routine hasn't changed. Does anyone have a suggestion on things I can do around the house to help him be more entertained while I am gone?

A puppy on a mission..to destroy.

...well...I understand your concern and would like to suggest a different solution...shall we call it 'plan B'...?

I've tought the dog (Bernie) my work :D so now he comes to work with me for a reason.

bernie-at-work.jpg

... no need to say that being a BC he has becomed a much better Industrial Designer than I am... :rolleyes:

BTW: dangling on his collar are the keys of 'his' scooter which he will occasionally let me drive from home to work and backwords... :D

Ciao

Giuseppe

I am quite jealous as well!!!! I wish I could take Keegan to work with me; however, my husband is at home during the day so he gets a lot of attention anyway.

I do have a friend that has a BC mix and he used to take her to campus while he taught. He asked everyone if they cared and of course no one did. Well, one day...someone complained to someone and he couldn't take her to work anymore. :rolleyes:

That was good for us though because now we get to keep her occasionally when he teaches a night class...Keegan gets to spend some time with his girlfriend.