BC Boards

Vomitting

Jescano

So this morning Jinx had his meal at 7, about an hour earlier than usual. I'm trying to change his schedule a bit. I was feeding him 1/2 cup in the morning, afternoon and evening, but he would always be wanting more food. So I've been giving him for the past couple days 1 cup in the morning, using a half cup for training throughout the day and then another half cup in the evening for dinner. He's getting almost 900 calories a day... does that sound like way too much? We play a lot and he's definitely not getting fat, he stops eating once he's had enough. He's a very regular dog, I've been keeping track, he poops once in the morning(usually after breakfast but sometimes before), once in the afternoon(between 3-4) and then once again between 6:30 and 8 before bed. And it's normal. No more diarrhoea since that one time on the 20th.

So about an hour after his meal I took him out to potty. He peed and we played outside for a little bit, I threw a stick for him a few times and we played fetch for maybe 5 minutes. Went back in side sat down to give him some pets, he sat down with me and then walked away after a minute to a rug(of course, wood floors and he picks a rug) he heaves a couple times and out comes undigested kibble in sausage form. Not really any fluid or bile, it was very easy clean up, picked up the rug and threw it out. Is this something I should be concerned about? He's acting like his normal self. Growled at me when I moved him away from it to put him in his pen... looked like he wanted to eat it again... dogs. He's been playing by himself in his pen, totally normal growling and very vocal with his toys. And also nosing and trying to get to his food container and bowl, he does that when he's hungry.

Could it be as simple as not waiting long enough for his food to digest before playing? He pooped totally fine this morning, best I've seen all week actually... I'm going to wait till his lunchtime to feed him his half cup then see what happens

I would expect that it was the larger amount of morning food combined with the play session, especially since he seems like himself and wanted to eat it immediately. That doesn't sound like a nauseous puppy.

Dogs have the ability to regurgitate if they're feeling uncomfortable with what's in their stomach. It gives them the ability to bring something back up that's too big and then to chew it into a more manageable size.

He may have just had a too full tummy and with the play brought it back up.

Unless there's something in the stomach contents that shouldn't be there, I let my dogs re-eat it. Of course, my dogs are raw fed and they may indeed have just swallowed too big a bite of something (not that it happens often).

I agree; it doesn't sound like a nauseous puppy.

I don't remember how old Jinx is, but maybe he'd do better on 4 somewhat smaller meals, or stay w/ the three 1/2 cup meals and go ahead and use another 1/2 cup for training treats.

I never worry about calories for a puppy, or an adult for that matter, just the dog's condition. If the pup's in good condition, i.e. not chubby, and seems hungry, I'll feed more, as long as the pup doesn't gain too much weight.

If the pup's getting chubby, then I'll cut back, whether it seems hungry or not.

And, yes, dogs seem to prefer to pee, puke and poop on carpets and rugs! I have no idea what evolutionary benefit there is to that, but there it is. I have an old gal with intestinal issues who used to vomit a lot. I could move her to the hard floor when I saw it starting, but she'd wait till she could move back to the carpet to throw up. :wacko:

And, yes, dogs seem to prefer to pee, puke and poop on carpets and rugs! I have no idea what evolutionary benefit there is to that, but there it is. I have an old gal with intestinal issues who used to vomit a lot. I could move her to the hard floor when I saw it starting, but she'd wait till she could move back to the carpet to throw up. :wacko:

THIS!!! LMAO!! You just described every dog I've ever owned except one, she did all that in the shower at night for you to find when you are not really awake in the morning.

I think they choose rugs and mats because that is the closest thing to grass that they can find in the house. I've heard of dogs raised in the city who were accustomed to going on concrete or pavement - they would choose to have their "accidents" in the house on bare floor. Maybe it's just what is familiar, or the closest thing to what is familiar that is chosen.

I am waiting until my old Sheltie passes on to have the last of my carpets pulled up and my hardwood floors refinished. Recently someone asked me if I was going to have area rugs. I said probably not because I know my dogs will cross rooms of wood floors to be sick on a rug. :lol: I do at least manage to train them to get off my bed before they throw up. :)

So how is Jinx doing?

I am waiting until my old Sheltie passes on to have the last of my carpets pulled up and my hardwood floors refinished. Recently someone asked me if I was going to have area rugs. I said probably not because I know my dogs will cross rooms of wood floors to be sick on a rug. :lol: I do at least manage to train them to get off my bed before they throw up. :)

So how is Jinx doing?

The beauty of area rugs is they can be picked up and cleaned. Plus no padding for liquids to soak into, stick a towel underneath the accident and clean the rug and the accident soaks into the towel, not foam padding. Pull the towel out and wash it.

We have ours immersion cleaned every 2 years or so and spot clean issues and they look and smell good. My husband is not a hard floor fan but with dogs I hate carpeting, so big area rugs are our compromise and I love them!

1/2 cup meals and go ahead and use another 1/2 cup for training treats.

I have no idea why I didn't think of that. :blink: And he's about 10 and a half weeks.

So how is Jinx doing?

He is definitely being his normal, obnoxious bratty self. I love him, but boy is he a terror.

He's held down all his food, totally normal bowel movements, playful as ever. Tied one of his toys to a fishing pole today and he loved it, probably would have kept at it for hours.

I feel like I've read all the different threads on nipping and none of it has seemed to have any affect. Yelping(unless very high pitch), saying ouch really loud, NO all just rile him up even more. And if I put him up he doesn't seem to get the picture. Hoping he grows out of it.

You just described every dog I've ever owned except one, she did all that in the shower at night for you to find when you are not really awake in the morning.

At least that means easy clean up, right?

And he's about 10 and a half weeks.

At that age, I'd be feeding a puppy 4 meals a day . . .

I feel like I've read all the different threads on nipping and none of it has seemed to have any affect. Yelping(unless very high pitch), saying ouch really loud, NO all just rile him up even more. And if I put him up he doesn't seem to get the picture. Hoping he grows out of it.

When you yelp does the play also stop immediately? It's the combination of the yelp (as an indicator) and the immediate negative effect (loss of play) that usually creates the desired results.

But at his age, it will probably take a few times before he figures it out. ;)

I have the most amazing carpets. They are cream and seemed newish when I moved in 19 years ago. 5 puppies, a variety of sick dogs, many spills, tracked in mud and the occasional sick kid later, they still look pretty darn amazing. I just had them cleaned and the guy commented what great care I must take of them, but I think at lest some of their durability must be the carpets themselves. That said, I am so sick of cleaning and fussing over them, especially with three dogs, one of whom has multiple health issues. I have hard wood in the bedrooms and tile or linoleum in the kitchen and baths. That is what I yearn for in the rest of the house, but it just seems unfair to the old dog who is unsteady on her pins as it is.

On the subject of nipping, yes in addition to the yelp, you must remove attention/play for at least several seconds. That worked great for my Lhasa who was a very thoughtful little pup. Now, wild man Quinn couldn’t have cared less about my attention at your pup’s age. He enjoyed nipping my shins as he ran by on his way to cause havoc elsewhere. After collecting a number of bruises from the little coyote, I would yell when he bit (I believe it was usually “Hey!”), then grab him by the collar and say very mean things to him in a very ugly voice. He always rolled himself into a submissive posture when I loomed over him and pretty quickly decided I was a drag to bite and moved on to new things to drive me crazy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so just to be clear. I've been feeding some raw a few times a week, and haven't had any problems, but today I fed him part of a chicken and he puked up a couple LARGE chunks, and then re ate it immediately.

ETA- we played/trained for about 30-40 minutes then I fed him the chicken, thinking he would take a nap after, he ate then was napping for about 20-30 min before bringing it back up.

Did he just "bite off more than he could chew" or in this case swallow more than he could digest?

Dogs have the ability to regurgitate if they're feeling uncomfortable with what's in their stomach. It gives them the ability to bring something back up that's too big and then to chew it into a more manageable size.

I fed my poodle exclusively raw for a few years and never had her regurgitate anything.... but she also chewed her food well.

Yes, he swallowed a piece that was too big. Mine have done this with chunks of bone a couple times. It's actually one of the reasons I always feed in their crates. They know no one can get their food from them so they don't rush to gulp it down.

Yes, he swallowed a piece that was too big. Mine have done this with chunks of bone a couple times. It's actually one of the reasons I always feed in their crates. They know no one can get their food from them so they don't rush to gulp it down.

Yes!

Some dogs are just gulpers, whether you feed in "safe" crates or not. :wacko:

The important thing is to know your dog, and if you have a gulper, then you need to give chunks or meat (and especially bone) that are large enough that they can't just swallow them whole.

Feeding the meat frozen helps to slow down gulpers, and it's especially effective for situations where a large enough piece not to swallow is just too much food for that dog, or if a dog tends to chomp once or twice but still swallows pieces that are too big.

I have one of the latter, so I freeze portion sized pieces on a tray and then put them in a bag for long term storage.