BC Boards

Herding Lessons

I have been a forum lurker for a bit, but haven't posted much. I do need some advise on where to find someone to take lessons from. Yankee just went last week for his second herding evaluation and we were told he could begin lessons. The person who did out evaluation for us did recommend someone but I have been unable to get into contact with them.

I currently live on whidbey island in Washington state. I have never been involved in herding so I am not sure where to look and just thought to ask so I do not end up in the wrong setting :) Any help would be appreciated.

I Googled a search, and didn't find anything on Whidbey. There may be trainers on the Island, but I didn't see them in my quick survey. Try to find a herding dog trainer who is very familiar with Border Collies. BCs have an eye, style and manner of work unlike other herding breeds. IMO they have to be trained differently.

Tea, of this discussion group, lives and works on an island in the Puget Sound area. She may be able to give you some ideas. Jim Kling, Deltabluez Tess, and Red Russell (all screen names) are on the mainland in your general area of the State. They may be able to get you started or refer to proficient trainers. You might try PM'ing them.

Best wishes locating a trainer reasonably nearby, so you can keep it up on a regular basis. As you no doubt already realize, it's a wonderful activity for both dog and handler. Yankee is a great looking dog. Love the predominant white on his face. -- Regards, TEC

Be sure to go to the sheep dog trial on Whidbey Island on the weekend of June 22-24. There you will get a chance to meet local handlers and border collie people. Go to the Washington Association of Stockdog Handlers website. Here is a link:

http://www.wastockdoghandlers.org/events.html

If you click on the entry FORM for the Whidbey Island trial, you'll get the address and start times. I hope I'll see you there. I entered but am not totally certain I can make it up north by then.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone, you have all been more help then I could have hoped for :)

I will hopefully be able to attend the trial on whidbey island, Susan did our herding evaluations for us. I will do a bit more research and hopefully make it to the trial. It would be great if someone was relatively close so we could try and do weekly lessons, he really seemed to focus and enjoy the little time he has been with sheep. It was also pretty amazing to watch him turn on with them :D

TEC most of the people you mentioned have PM'd and have been very helpful :) hopefully we can get going with some lessons soon! I also love his face, but I may be a bit biased ;)

Thanks again!

Maggi is on Vashon and is a great gal. Susan you contacted and you are going to come to the trial where you can meet Lorri Schubert who is closest to you. And you can meet everyone else. hope to see you!

DeltaBluez Tess : Thank you for the offer, I have already arranged to start lessons with Lorri Schubert though so we are good to go with lessons! On another note I have a another question, hoping I can get it answered without starting another whole topic. When I contacted Susan about the Whidbey Island SDT, she mentioned brining Yankee along so he could get use to the atmosphere of a trial. Is it normal to see dogs at a trial that are not competing? Also any other considerations I should take into account with bringing him along? He is pretty enthusiastic about sheep, but can settle when told :) Is it usually an all day event? Should I bring a camp chair or anything like that? Sorry I have so many questions, thank you for all the help.

Amber

Amber - I'm not Diane but I can say that in the East, it is not uncommon for non-competing dogs to be present, both Border Collies (and youngsters) and pet dogs. The rule is that they are under control, quiet, not disturbing people or stock, etc. Except at a few public venues, I don't know of anyone who doesn't allow mannerly dogs (on leash, generally) that aren't competing.

What to bring? A comfy chair. Sensible comfy shoes/boots that can handle mud. Dress in layers so you can be warm if it's chilly and cool when it heats up. Raingear including boots, rain jacket, rain pants, rain hat (or hood on the jacket). A hat that will shade your eyes at least. Snacks and food if there is no food to purchase. Bags to pick up after your dog (which many folks from farm and ranch don't do but around the spectators and handlers area, it's a very nice thing to do. A crate for your dog if he needs to be put up for a while (and whatever you need to keep him safe from sun and rain at your vehicle). An alternative is to chain your dog at your vehicle but a crate is much better in general. Water for your dog. A camera if you have one.

I guess good advice is to be prepared for any kind of weather that might happen at that location in that season.

Most trials do last most if not all of the daylight hours, starting fairly early. On the USBCHA site, you should be able to find contact information (go to the sheep section, then to upcoming trials, and scroll down to the trial you are interested in - contact info should be on the right) to find out the times, etc., make sure you can bring your dog, and to offer to volunteer - which is a wonderful way to meet people!

Enjoy!

Bring your dog. Bring a chair. Bring binoculars. Water for your dog. As Sue said, a crate and shade tho Susan (trial host) has some nice trees to park under if you get to the trial early enough. Should be nice weather but, you live here... you know what can happen. Ask any and all questions. Handlers will be more than happy to explain anything and everything. Food and snacks are always a good idea. The trial should go most of the day,

dave